3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What makes good blackbear bait  (Read 551 times)

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What makes good blackbear bait
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
Lets just hope your done with that part of your life Molson...

Thanks Dave.

Online stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
In wisconsin you can't use any substance that contains meat or meat byproduct (including honey and grease) and you also can not place in metal drums. So what I did when my brother finally drew his tag was approach a bakery thrift store and they sold me a pickup truck full of unsellable bakery goods for $50.00.

Offline CallMaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
Wet COB, Corn/Oats/Barley with molasses. Get it at any feed store. Apples, pears and watermellon. Peanut butter smeared on nearby trees and fryer grease tossed around on the ground and in the bushes.
Ed Blankinship

Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
                     http://www.pcba-inc.org/

Offline Conner Parry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
Try Carp. Do some bow fishing before the bear season starts, and stuff them in the barrel. Works like a charm. I also know alot of guys that do a Honey or Bacon burn. You get an old frying pan and the Honey or Bacon. Heat it up on a backpacking stove and let the honey actually turn black and burnt. The smell will carry all around the canyon or where ever you r bait is. Great way to get animals familiar with your bait.
Shoot Straight

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
The best black bear bait is beaver carcass, the riper the better.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
My father in law took a nap one afternoon with a couple packages of honeybuns on his dash and woke up with a black bear cub on his lap eating honeybuns.  Momma bear was shaking the truck...

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
I'm another firm believer in sweets and grease. I've had bear tear a stump up with grease poured over it before he would eat a doughnut. Go to any restaurant and tell them you want their chicken grease.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline flungonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Burn/cook a pan of grease/oil used grease from deep fryer, kitchens etc.., and spread it all around the bait and on the bucket or container. Then do it again but cook the grease this time for as long as you can stay with it so the aromatic aroma goes into the air. Then pour some onto the bait and then again around the area. Then put as much of anything considered sweet into the container as you can. But the ultimate is a skinned beaver. Tie it higher than what you think the bear can reach. This way he has to try and reach the beaver , while standiung in grease which he will track and spread the scent when he leaves. The beaver is the best candy I've found above all else for bear.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
Dog food covered in chicken grease.  :readit:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
Popcorn..... Kettle corn! You can eat it and so will they! The other stuff is messy! Guarantee they haven't been to the movies!

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
Honey. Sweet stuffs. Dog food. Pancake syrup. 'Sweet mix' horse feed.

I would love to get a shot at the marshmallow man from 'ghostbusters' - that would work REAL well.

If you feed a bear something long enough it will taste like what you feed it. So I prefer sweet stuff. I have baited with fish; I think I set a worlds record for spitting distance- when I ate some of the bear meat....
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
Try a PETA member, holding a box of old pastries....should do the trick nicely.  Wait to shoot until the bear gets to the pastries.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
Another trick I use to keep bears around the baits longer is to throw out a bag of those little semi-sweet chocolate bits the girls use in cookies. Because they're small and brown the bear has to look/smell around for them awhile. I like to scatter them all around within ten yards of the primary bait. I had a total of thirty-three bears under ten yards in five days this spring with Tom Phillips in Quebec. Works great. BW

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
glazed doughnuts and plenty of them,also dig up an area right in front of the bait entry then mix in some doughnut grease with the soil and mix it up so the bears when leaving track the scent way down the trail and every bear that gets a whif will be on its way pronto.i also use raw bacon they seem to like that also.take a small burner and a tuna can...fill the can with doughnut,bacon,or whatever grease you want.light the burner in a cleared out area,it will burn off the grease and draw bears in like a charm.cant hunt this way in oregon anymore thanks to the anti's but it works great.just be carefull with the burner and dont torch your hunting area up.........larry
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
haaaaaa...peta member....thats a good one...roflmao...  :D    :D    :biglaugh:    :D    :D
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
For black bears anything sweet, donuts, ot bread drenched with log cabin maple syrup.  

For grizzly hikers make good bait.    ;)
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Barry Wensel:
Another trick I use to keep bears around the baits longer is to throw out a bag of those little semi-sweet chocolate bits the girls use in cookies. Because they're small and brown the bear has to look/smell around for them awhile. I like to scatter them all around within ten yards of the primary bait. I had a total of thirty-three bears under ten yards in five days this spring with Tom Phillips in Quebec. Works great. BW
I've done this too Barry but I used marshmallows Instead. Works great like you said!!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Same thing with Gummi Worms.

Chop them into tiny bits, and scatter them all around. They will search out every last piece.
When they get wet, they get sticky, and soon all the ground litter is gone, because they will eat it with the tiny bits of Gummi Worms.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »
I've used the mini-marshmallows too but because they're white the bears seem to clean them up quicker than the little brown, semi-sweet bits that are harder to locate except for smell. I've also thrown raw bacon high up into trees around the baits. The aroma travels far and they are forced to climb the trees to get to them. bw

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2009, 01:05:00 AM »
Barry,
I start a bait on the 18th and won't be able to get back to it till the weekends, I like the little chocolate bits & tp the trees with bacon, thats a good idea. Just won't throw any in my tree....Hink..  :archer:
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©