3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Primal music in deer camp....  (Read 525 times)

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Primal music in deer camp....
« on: August 07, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
Just curious how many of you all take some kind of musical instrument to hunting camp or shoots with you?

Growing up in PA my uncle belonged to a hunting camp and we used to go up there sometimes to spend a weekend.  My uncle played a Gibson 4 string banjo and also a Gibson lute (a lot like a mandolin but only 4 strings).  My Grandmother played either an old Martin D-28 or a Gibson ES-5 and my Uncles wife played mandolin.  I had lots of great times either in the cabin or on the back porch listening to them play.  They always wanted to teach me but I never wanted to learn.  Now I'm trying to learn and they are all long gone.

So, who thinks a hunting camp is just a little bit better with some good old time pickin' music?  When you hear music in camp, does it remind you of someone or some place long ago?

And, to keep it archery related, how does camp music effect your memories of deer camp or camp at a shoot?

Recently, I had the chance to hear some pretty cool primitive style playing at a 3D shoot.  I've got a link to a clip on youtube if ya wanna hear it.  It's mostly all percussion and there is no real video, just black screen and a lantern bobbing around because it was taken at night.  Something about that drum beat really strikes a chord in the instinct of a hunter.  Maybe it takes us back to the days when men beat on hollow logs and plucked their bow strings in the first attempts at harmony.

Well anyway, here it is...

And one other one with some guitar and flute thrown in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xbaUyYIm3A&feature=related
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Primal music in deer camp....
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
I started dragging a drum along on canoe trips a bunch of years ago. Hence my screen name   :p  There is something about sitting around a fire deep in the swamps drumming to ones own personal rhythm Doesn't have to be loud,Or terrible invasive. I've had critters wander thru camp while I drum.  But it does, for me anyways, pull something up from deep within.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
Dave, music affects mermories of everything for me. Not many times I hear a song played , that It don't remind me of sometime in my life. Be it hunting or otherwise. You should learn to play. My mom always told me it will be something you can always come back to. Been pickin on and off since I was 5. I'll be 47 next month. I always carry something to bang on to camp or a shoot or most anywhere I go. The pic is me on mandolin, my oldest son on dobro and my 4 year old grandson(Taylor) on fiddle. and yes Taylor is a pretty good shot with a stickbow for 4. check him out shooting ariels in the classics forum. Good luck with the pickin. Don

"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Guitar if there's room in the rig, a drum if there's enough open space, and a Native American flute I made as often as I can if camping.

This one is Koa wood.

"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
I have 2 words for this thread--Mark Baker.

OK I have a few more. Mark does some GREAT original bowhunting music. His "Feathers thru the Wind" CD is moving for this old bowhunter. You owe it to yourself to listen to it.

We sat around camp this spring and listened to Mark work his magic. If his music doesn't stoke the bowhunting fire then you must be pushing up daisies
DonD

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
I really enjoy playing harmonica but it is a secret from most as I usually just play for myself. Maybe one of these years I'll get good enough to play in front of others.   :)
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
Don, I've heard some clips of Mark's stuff and liked it a lot but don't own any of it.

I do have an album from Jim Bowman that is all hunting songs.  My kids and I always play one called "Outdoor buddies" when we go out to do stuff like hunting, fishing or camping.  I also really like the ones "Fred Bear Showed me how" and "Part of Nature".  Not sure of the title on that second one but that's part of the refrain.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
I think every one would run me off if i tried any thing like that
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
I personally love to listen to native American Flute music. Never had it in camp though.
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
How can I get a listen to Mark's music, anyone have a link to some???

To the guys listening to the Flute music, who are you listening to?
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
I've played guitar since 1953, so a nice acoustic would be what I would have at a camp, for some easy pickin' in the evening.

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
We will be using quite a few pieces of Native American flute in our next version of Primal Dreams, which by the way, is coming along slowly but surely before someone asks. The flute music is being handled by real Lakota/Sioux (?). Sounds excellent. So far so good but it won't be out until 2010. Sorry :>( We also are working with big orchestra and guitar music as well. Stay tuned.

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
My deer camp music last year was Jim Reynolds snoring, so this year I may bring my guitar and get my revenge.   :readit:   If I could have only been able to snore loud enough to keep HIM awake, then I would have been a happy camper!   ;)  
I enjoy singing but my guitar work is pretty rusty and I really would like to practice and bring it along this year.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
Northerncaliforniahunter, that flute looks pretty cool!  Is there anyplace online to get plans for one?  How hard was it to make?

Gene, if the music in P.D.#2 is as good as the first, I'll be happy.  I really liked some of the classical guitar in it.

Did any of you guys listen to the links above?  The second one has guitar and flute both.  Funny thing, I was standing right there and could barely hear the flute but on the audio link it comes through loud and clear.
Dave

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
Those of us from Montana know what campfire music is,   Thanks to Mark Baker
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline WINDTALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
I bring a native american style flute made out of osage. It was the waste wood from a log a bowyer friend gave me to make some selfbows. Nothing like listening to the sounds bouncing off canyon walls at camp .

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
Mark Baker can be reached thru Classic Bowhunting. I'll try to post the link.
 http://www.classicbowhunting.com
DonD

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
Hey Gene, the guitar pikin in the "spirit of the bow " sounds alot like ,Dan Crary to me. Am I right? Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Thanks Don for posting the link, but the site is a bit dated now, and I need to spend some $$$ and time working on it.   If anyone needs to contact me, you can link to my email on my profile, or PM me.    

I've always played music, and any musician knows how song can take you places unlike almost anything else.   There's a bunch of radio songs I've heard that remind me of certain seasons....among other things.   When I did my "Feathers" album, it was my hope that someone would someday pull it out of a stack of old dusty CD's, plug it in, and the music might take them back to some memory of a hunt or time afield in the past.  That is the greatest compliment, I think I could ever get from making music....and I'm sure that Jim Bowman, and Chad Slagle would agree with me.  

Love the looks of that flute.   I've been playing around with those as well.....soothing and beautiful sounds they make for sure.  Music is surely a gift from God, but I would encourage any of you guys and gals to take it up if possible.  It really helps pass the time, and cheer the soul....for me anyway.   I never regret any of the time I spent learning it.  And we're always learning.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
For the last several years at the Iowa Traditional Bowhunter's shoot in Ames, Iowa, I have been able to do some pickin with a couple of fellow musicians who come to the shoot from other parts of Iowa.  A great way to combine two of my favorite things to do, shootin and pickin!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©