3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Primal music in deer camp....  (Read 529 times)

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Primal music in deer camp....
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
My hunting buddy from Sweden came back to the tent after a days hunt and said 'I don't think you will like me tonight'. He had eaten 3lbs of bacon and beans. Not sure if it was really music; I was tucked way down inside my sleeping bag on the other side of the tent - so I couldn't ~hear~ much....

I do remember a camp where some Native Americans had a pow wow or something into the wee hours of the morning across the lake from where I was. That was pretty neat.

I do believe though that when I am elk hunting and hear an elk bugle - its the most beautiful music I have experienced !
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline deertraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
I wondered if anybody on here played the Native American Flute. I thought it would go good with traditonal archery. I started playing last summer and have had a good time trying to learn. I know how everybody here like the different woods used in making bows, same holds true in flute making. If you would like to here a piece I did go to   http://www.woodsounds.com/songs/songs.php  
It's the top song G Minor Improv also look at Brents' flutes he uses some beautiful wood.
Dave
Phil. 2:6-11

Offline wojo124

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
I happen to have my first harmonica on the way cant wait....been wantin to learn how to play for years.
Hollenbeck 64" longbow 50#@28"
Northern Mist 66"longbow 53#@27"
Early 80's 64"Custom Bighorn 66#@29"
pick your spot and burn a hole.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
Hey our own Sal Ochoa is great with the NA flute.

BTW Dave I got some wooden cigar boxes that are on the list to become cigar box guitars.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
Got the chance to listen to Mark baker this past weekend at the TBOF. Could almost feel the spirit of the woods and water and the mountains coming off this man. Good good stuff. Thanks Mark.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
I guess I'll be the odd man out.  Can't stand flute music.  Typically monotonous with a limited range.  After a few minutes, it's like fingernails screeching across a blackboard.  Other than that, it's great!    :p  

Having said that, somebody traded me a flute made of aromatic cedar.  Dave Bulla, if you want it, shoot me your address and I'll be happy to  mail it to you.  Just promise not to play it any camp we might share.    ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
I take my quitar camping sometimes.
bolong

Offline poison arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 01:23:00 AM »
I always take a chromatic harmonica camping. When it's a group camp there is usually a couple drums and a gitfidle, makes eating the fish and bowfishing in the morning all the better.

Offline camocowboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »
Mark is right on. the reason we keep doing what we do is because of our love of hunting. When someone says "that song sounds just like it came out of my head", that's the ultimate compliment. We have then connected with someone's soul. Footnote, I will be singing campfire music this year at the Kentucky Classic. Hope some of you can be there! Also I am currently working on a new CD. Hope to have it out soon. Thanks to all of you who carry my music in your truck and to camp!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
We used to have a harmonica player in camp. It helped fill in any lulls in the conversation around the campfire. We did have one bad expeience whoch was not of our choice. For some Forgotten reason we made camp in a state park in instead of our planned campsite back in the woods. A polka club from downstate also showed up in about 8 RVs Since the park was almost deserted at this time the park rangers let them play until about 1am. we are talking accordions, trumpets, tubas and drums, not a relaxing evening.

Offline camocowboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »
Uncle Buck, the main thing is did you "polka" broadhead through a deer the next day?

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
camocowboy Jim Bowman is my favorite, I could listen to his music all day.
 http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jimbowman2
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
I keep myself entertained with a banjo or guitar, and I also dink around with a mountain dulcimer. Love that old time music, and it sounds especially good in camp. There is something about 'Old Joe Clark', 'Whiskey Before Breakfast', 'Cripple Creek', etc that just sounds right when played in the high country.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
If i'm in camp and dueling banjo's is playing I'm gettin the heck out of there.I'm not Ned!...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
We camped at archery shoot once where the boorish louts next to us were playing "Innagaddadavida"
by Iron Butterfly until 2:30 AM, so any of you hosers would be more than welcome to our   :campfire:  , please!!!!!!

Even polka-dot music would be fine   :D
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by BowHuntingFool:
How can I get a listen to Mark's music, anyone have a link to some???

To the guys listening to the Flute music, who are you listening to?
Try some Medwyn Goodall, R. Carlos Nakai, Blackstone, or Black Lodge Singers.

Or just type "Native American" in the genre bar of MP3 Rocket or Limewire etc.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
I really like the traditional Scottish and Irish music, too. Bagpipes make me happy.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
We've listened to lots of music at camp, but no one ever brings their instrument............as far as "Primal" goes........I think the guys that snore fall into that category!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2010, 05:15:00 AM »
Couldn't live without music.  I play Irish trad on whistle and concertina, African trad on bougarbou and djembe, and when i'm feeling drunk the guitar comes out.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©