3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do Modern String Materials Causes Bows to Wear Out Quicker?  (Read 350 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do Modern String Materials Causes Bows to Wear Out Quicker?
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »
I've had several bows fail on me over the years (mostly selfbows, but some laminated bows), and I've heard of lots more.  I can only think of two that failed with a FF string on them.  Both were old bows, both had skinny FF strings with no padding in the loops, and both had the tips sawed off by the string.

Like someone else said already--if a bow fails and has a FF string on it, the string always gets the blame.  If it has a dacron string on it, then blame something else.

I only know of a few  "old school" bowyers that won't warranty a bow for FF, and as best I can tell it's not based on results--they just feel like it's a risk, and they aren't willing to take it.

Chad

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do Modern String Materials Causes Bows to Wear Out Quicker?
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
I was shooting one of Dan Quillian's Bamboo Longhunters when he first started using FF, in the late 80's. I changed mine over, and after a zillion or so shots, it sawed through the tips far enough to cut the string. And that was with properly cut nocks.

I sent it back to Jeffrey and they repaired it with denser tip overlays (original was walnut). The strings were changed to add dacron padding in the loops, and the problem was solved. I still have the bow, and it's fine.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©