3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody use a bow quiver just for the added weight?  (Read 305 times)

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody use a bow quiver just for the added weight?
« on: August 08, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
Aside from the convenience of having arrows close at hand do any of yall prefer the little extra weight of a quiver and 4 or 5 arrows on the bow? Only reason I'm asking is my new bow is about 1.5 pounds and my old one was almost 3, it's harder to hold the light one as steady as the old one and I thought a quiver full of arrows might help a little. I know it will change the handling characteristics all around but I'm grasping at straws here.
Side note: I was looking at a Selway slide on and was wondering if anyone has ever weighed one and could tell me the specs.
Thanks
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Canadian Idle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody use a bow quiver just for the added weight?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
I just checked the Black Widow web-site and they have the Selway slide on as being 9 OZ. Don't know if thats the actual weight or approx. shipping weight????? Lloyd

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
Yep. Seems to balance some bows for me. Also quiets/deadens some bows. Sorry I can't weigh my Selway, my scale is way too small.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
I used a selway slide on quiver on my Bear Montana longbow.The weight felt good.The quiver itself don`t weight much,but the weight of your arrows is what you`ll feel the most.My arrows were about 600gr.each.It adds up with 4 or 5 arrows.I wish i still had that bow.
Harold Wetzler

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Yes, it's just a physics thing for
me that I got from Mr. Newton.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
You want a heavy bow try a Bob Lee take down. I was floored at how much heavier it is compaired to my one piece recurve.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
I use to always but one on feather weight bows just for the mass.Now I don't use bowquivers on any of them.I just got use to shooting the lighter bows without one.I like the balance better without a quiver.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
I actually just took my quick release bow quiver off my Robertson b/c it effected my shooting.  Once I took the quiver off, my arrows went right where I looked, with it on, I found my group open up.  I think I am going to build a Asbell quiver and use my back quiver for practice.

BTW if you are interested in a Selway rawhide 6 arrow, I may want to sell or trade me : )
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
Absolutely.

When I switched from shooting recurves to longbows, my scores dropped about 10 percent.

By adding a quiver with seven or eight heavy arrows (600 or 700 grains) I shoot a lot better.

If I take the same bows, and take their quivers off, I notice an immediate change in the tightness of groups. Once I put the quivers back on, the groups tighten right back up.

Bow weight is something target shooters have known about for a long time. We hunters need to be aware of it as well.

Nothing better than shooting tight groups when you go into hunting season, and elk season is only three short weeks away.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
I prefer a quiver on my bow, I think I shoot better with it on. Plus I like the finger tip selection availability.   :thumbsup:    :D  Broadhead to Judo with the least amount of movement. JMO your results may vary!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
I like lightweight bows because they are easier and more fun to carry around all day, especially in challenging terrain. But I have to put the arrows somewhere and a bow quiver is sometimes the best alternative. I do think the extra weight adds stability on a very light bow, which is just a bonus. If I could have the arrows handy without using some kind of quiver, I would not carry any extra weight while hunting.

So the answer to your question is "no". I do not hang a quiver on a bow just to make it weigh more.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 12:45:00 AM »
Some days I shoot better with the quiver on, some days with it off, so I don't think (for me) it's that much of a factor in shooting. I does make the bow quieter, which is a real plus for hunting IMHO.

It also is the handiest place I have found to keep extra arrows. With side or back quivers, I am constantly snagging them on brush or weeds. They are also more of a pain to get arrows from quiver to bow, for me at least. Also, if I'm turkey hunting, I don't need anything else hanging on me. I already have my pack, my decoy bag, and my blind slung over my shoulders. There is no more room! So carrying the arrows in a bow quiver is the best answer.

As far as bow quivers go, I have used Selway, Boa, Eagle Flight, and currently a Thunderhorn Linx. The Linx is the heaviest because it has an aluminum bar that keeps the hood and arrow clip from sliding apart. The bar is also the reason this is my favorite quiver so far. You put it on with Boa-type straps and it stays right there until you are ready to take it off...no shifting at all!

There, you got more information and opinion than you asked for.    :rolleyes:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
I started shooting with a quiver on way back at the beginning. It`s more convenient, and a quiver full of nicely done up arrows just looks good.
The added mass weight also helps me quite a bit.

I even shoot on a 300 league in the winter with a quiver full of arrows, and use a tube quiver on my side to hold my five for score.

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
I shoot longbows only and they average 1 1/2 lbs, then I put a Selway leather 4 arrow slide quiver on and shoot it with 3 arrows and it weights a bit over 2 lbs. Than when I go hunting I put the forth arrow in the quiver and when I pull it out to hunt with it the rig weights the same as I practiced with. Two pounds plus is sweet shooting. Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
I used a bow quiver until I found that it affected the spine I needed. With it on, my longbow bare-shafted with a lower spine. I felt I was robbing energy from the arrow. Now the quiver rides in the middle of my back, out of the way, hanging by a couple of leather laces over my shoulders. It's attached to my belt with a quick release.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
i like the great northern adjustable and put it on my wifes bows to take the shook out of it

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
I prefer to use a bow quiver.The weight it adds to the bow is one of the reasons.The other major one being it's better suited to how I hunt then a back or hip quiver.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
Been using bow quivers for a long time.  The added weight does add stability.  I've never felt that they were a detriment to accuracy.  You do need to make sure you slide the slide ons all the way onto the limb fadeouts.  If you leave them hung far out on the limbs, they will reduce performance.  My 4-arrow slide on Selways weigh about 7 1/2 ounces.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
I took mine off due to the added weight.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
I like a TD longbow for the weight in the riser.  My bowquiver helps as well (Thunderhorn).  I broke my bow arm elbow as a kid, the additional mass helps minimize the buzz/shock I'm sensitive to in the joint - little bit of arthritis now at 50 years old.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©