3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leica or Swarovski binoculars????  (Read 332 times)

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Leica or Swarovski binoculars????
« on: August 08, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
I am interested in the 8X30 or 8X32. Is the Leica worth the extra grand? Thanks.   BILL

Offline k. sisco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leica or Swarovski binoculars????
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
I have both brands,but my leicas are 10x42.
Although the glass in the leica bino's are better too me,no way are they worth a $K more.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 04:33:00 AM »
Swarovski.
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 04:41:00 AM »
I have both, in my opinion you can't go wrong with either one.  For me, the difference in glass is little, if any; I can’t see paying an extra grand for one over the other.  Are you comparing the similar models?   Both companies have a base, and high-end model with the major difference being the weight.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline easyup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 05:59:00 AM »
My 59 year old eyes can see the difference in the really good glass and the top quality in the Leica and Swaro, but not distinquish between the two.  Have used Swaro for 9 years now and have put them through hell, Southwestern US, Mexico and Africa and they are perfect to this day.  You can not go wrong with either.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 06:27:00 AM »
I started with Swarovski and have had different Leicas for the past 10 years.  I guess I haven't looked lately because the price used to be about the same.  You must bu comparing the regular 8x30s (not the EL) to something like an Ultravid HD?

Between the Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss it is pretty much personal preference.

Offline Johnny UMAA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 07:02:00 AM »
Yeah, I researched these two for several years and while I always liked the look of the Swaros, I own several Leicas. The glass is better (I'm 61 and my eyes can still see the difference). Is one worth a $1,000 over the other...hard to say. You're the one that would have to wonder whether or not you made the right decision either way.

If interested, I have an extra pair of Leica 10x32 Trinovid binos in excellent shape that I would let go for $950.00, shipping included (they are $1295 new I think). I've had them for about 5 years, but haven't used them in the past 3 years as my hunting has all but been put on hold due to family health issues.

My email is [email protected]
Orig. Schafer SilverTip TD Recurve 62" 55#& 60#@29"
Schafer SilverTip TD Longbow FF 64" 50#@29"
Morrison Dakota 64" 43#@28"
Bear Kodiak Hunter 60" 50#@28"

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
I own the Leica 8x32's  For whitetail hunting in the midwest they are perfect.  You will not go wrong with either one.

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
I like "jonsimoneau" have the Leica 8x32's I use for whitetail's in Louisiana & Mississippi, they are great! But I would also think either one would do.
Conny

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
I love my 8X32 Leica's for most bowhunting.  I have some 10x42s also that I picked up for a sheep hunt a few years back. I spent a lot of time researching 10 years ago.  Side by side is the only way to make this choice. I am very happy with the Leica's.

D.P.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
Swarfs EL's, hands down the best glass you can buy! They all might look the same during daylight but in lowlight conditions they really shine!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 01:53:00 AM »
I have both and each is fantastic. My preference is the Leica, especially the new semi-compact 8x32 HD model. But I would not pay $1000 difference to get the Leicas. The Swarovskis are already more than you really need for any purpose. They also tend to be lighter than some of the Leica models.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 07:16:00 AM »
Is there a BIG difference between the SLC and El Swarovski? Thanks.   BILL

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
No not a big difference in them.I'll add the Zeiss FL's are extremely good glass.If you check out some of the bino reveiws,the Zeiss FL's rate better than both the Swarv. and Leica.I've had all 3 and perfer the Zeiss.
If you are looking into whitetail binos?I would consider 6x.Many advantages w/ them.Widerfeild of veiw and twighlight performance is better than both the 8x and 10x w/ same objective size.Leupold makes a 6x32 Katimia modle that's smaller and lighter than any of the top euro brands and rate very well.
Thats my save you 12,000 cents worth

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 08:25:00 AM »
save your money buy leupold.then spend the extra 5k you saved on a nice new hopped up bow.i grew up in the wettest place you could imagine,oregon coast,150" of rain a year....owned leupold all my life...never fogged....never let me down period....lifetime over the counter warranty,every bit as clear as anything out there imho
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by elkherder:
save your money buy Leupold.then spend the extra 5k you saved on a nice new hopped up bow.i grew up in the wettest place you could imagine,Oregon coast,150" of rain a year....owned Leupold all my life...never fogged....never let me down period....lifetime over the counter warranty,every bit as clear as anything out there imho
DITTO
I just was on my Antelope hunt and the guy that I was hunting with had Swarovski 10x42 and a spotting scope, I was had my 10x42 Leupold and my 15x30x60 spotting scope both are Gold-Ring and you could not tell differences.Blake
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
I used swaro' 8X for about 10-15 years and they served me well; the adjustment knob broke and they gave me a brand new pair. I did not think the new pair was as clear so traded for 10X Leica's. I  like them but if I had it to do all over again would proabably go to the 8X EL. Just for size/bulk.
I also have a pair of minnie Zeiss, but like a little larger piece of glass for most hunting.
Good luck in your purchase.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©