3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tabs  (Read 596 times)

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
tabs
« on: August 09, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
I know this has been on several times but I can't seem to find anything I like. I shoot a Wilson tab and have no probs but I only get 1yr out of them. Is there a place I could buy or have someone make me a tab. I don't care to have a big piece of plastic between my fingers just something simply and smooth.

Offline MikeBurns

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tabs
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
I like and use Bateman tabs, I shoot three under. They have a good selection of both kinds.  http://www.ewbateman.com/FingerTabs.htm
Sgt USMC '80-'87

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
I too like Bateman cordovan tabs myself,been shooting the same tab for the last 4 years.Whats happening,you say you get about 1 year out of your tab?Do you use a metal nock?

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
Once I found a tab I liked, when it wore out, I traced it's shape onto a piece of plain thick leather and made my own. I keep it conditioned with Montana pitch blend and use tie-on string nocks.
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
EW Bateman I have one that is 5 years old they are a very good tab. Treat them with paraffin wax helps slick them up and helps make em last.

DD

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
I use a string nock. The tab is not really worn out the little fingure strap just comes apart. The Bateman looks good.I'll give them a call. Thanks

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
I use a string nock. The tab is not really worn out the little fingure strap just comes apart. The Bateman looks good.I'll give them a call. Thanks

Offline Dave Huff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
My BW tabs are 3 or 4 years old and have not a bit of problems from them.  I tie my nocks on as well.
It is a world with dew still on it, more touched by wonder and possiblitly than any I have since known.

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »
Mike, I make my own, which is very easy. Have been using the same one for 3 years now. Expect to use it for at least another 3. I will be coming through Salmon fri afternoon. Can give you one to try. Mike

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
We make several types of cordovan tabs and just recently started making slunk calfheir tabs. Wow, I couldn't believe the smooth release. I haven't shot them long enough to evaluate them for wear, but I think they will do great. The idea came from a longtime archer who's won a lot of events. We will name the tab after him once we check it out thouroughly.

I use to shoot with calfhair tabs years ago and liked them a lot, but they would wear out very quickly. At that time I shot split fingers and used a brass nocking point. it would chew up the tab in just a couple of weeks. Now I shoot 3 fingers under and it's not a factor.

Offline Footed Shaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
2fletch, can you post a pic or two of your new tabs??  And perhaps a price(PM me if u like). Bill

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Okay Bill, I'll try to post photos of this recent tab. This style I like but we will make a couple of other styles as well.

You asked the price. They are $15.00 each plus shipping.

Offline Footed Shaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
Kool, do/can you make a split finger version( i know i could just slit it myself) ??  Bill

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
Good looking tabs. I'm also interested in a split finger version.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by 2fletch:
We make several types of cordovan tabs and just recently started making slunk calfheir tabs.
Don,

What is slunk calfheir?

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline p1choco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 12:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by amar911:

Originally posted by 2fletch:
We make several types of cordovan tabs and just recently started making slunk calfheir tabs.
Don,

What is slunk calfheir?

Allan [/b]
I'm curious to know the same thing.
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

- Calvin Coolidge

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
As I found out recently this is a name for unborn or still born calf skin. The hair is shorter then regular calf skin, and it is very slippery and yet tough. I suppose that this is nature (God's) way of making birthing as easy as possible.

I was told about this by someone with a lot of history in archery, and a very good archer. I hesitate to use his name at this point but many of you would know him. My initial opinion of this material for tabs is "Wow, where has this been." As for wear, I was told that it lasts a long time. I have only used my tab for about 200 shots now so it's too soon to detect any wear.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
Alsn, I did mispell "calf hair". It is not "calfheir".

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
Today I made a couple of versions of split finger tabs and another version of the 3 under tab with the SCH leather. I'll try to show photos.

The one on the left has a firm leather plate on the front. They both have a backing.

This one is a 3 under with firm leather front plate and backing. It uses an O ring to attach around middle finger.

All of them would sell for $15.00 each.

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Thank you lone hunter. You are why this site is what it is.Just so you guys no Mike gave me a tab to shoot and we have never met. Thanks to all

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©