3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: D97 and creep  (Read 437 times)

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
D97 and creep
« on: August 09, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
Has anyone had a problem with D97 not settling in? My 8 strand padded loop 64" string wont stay put at 7". It has been on a month or more and still creeps to 6.5"...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: D97 and creep
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
8 strands is part of the problem, although it also depends on temps, draw weight, how the string was made, and even the particular spools of material the string was made from.

Chad

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
I have a 10 strand d97, that Chad made for me, on a bow that I pull 49# on. After settling in, I've put a couple of twist in it two times since the weather got hot.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
It also depends on the weight of the bow. Six strands on my 46 pretty much stay put. Six strands on my 52 creep like crazy, but I put an eight strand continuous loop d97 on in and it seems to stay put pretty well so far.

While the skinny six strand my have enough strength to be shot in a 50 plus pound bow, my experience has been that it will creep excessively. While the skinny strings do have some advantages, there seems to be a point of diminishing returns. Creep soon results in an over-twisted string if the bow is too heavy. Exactly how many strands per pound of bow weight is still open to conjecture. It seems to be somewhere around 7.5 to 8 pounds per strand. It may be somewhat less for a Flemish twist string. My experience has been that they creep just a bit more.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
I had the same issue with a 6 strand D97 on my 51# Rose Oak.  The thing wouldn't quit creeping. I'd twist it up let the bow set strung for a week or so,  and the limbs would almost be laying flat.
Got to where I didn't want to twist it anymore.
Recently had a 10 strand TS+ made, and that seemd to be a good compromise.  The bow is quiet the string is small and after a little initial settling in, it has been solid.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
Creep is a sure thing with most strings but flemish twist seem to be worse than endless. There is a local fellow that only makes endless. When someone orders a string, he asks how many pounds the person wants the string prestretched. He then stretches the string under that many pounds when serving the ends and center. His strings have much less creep than any I've seen. I believe a lot of the "creep" is actually the strands evening out.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
Properly made, pre-stretched and shot in, there will be little to no difference in creep between endless and flemish.  

Chad

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
You are certainly correct Chad but most people I know do not prestretch their flemish twist strings. That was the point I was trying to make.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©