3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bird ID  (Read 337 times)

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
Bird ID
« on: August 09, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
Went on a short bow hike/scouting/stumping outing yesterday and came across what I thought was a bee hive of some sort until I looked closer. It ended up being a small bird nest with little ones inside.

I love the camo pattern.

Any ideas as to what kind of bird ? Definatly a small one !

"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Online freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bird ID
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
hummingbird

Offline jimbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
ruby throated humming bird?

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
Hummingbirds do make nests similar to this, however the beak on the chick is not like a hummingbird.  My gut feeling is a blue-grey gnatcatcher nest.  They are super tiny, and look like minature mockingbirds.  Too cool!

Here are some links to what their nests and nestlings look like:

Here is a really good closeup, but the pic is too large to post here:

http://pb.wildnaturephoto.com/images/20090108115849_20070526-30d_ad4-1600266.jpg
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
You know I really enjoyed those pictures.

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
Stony I think you are on to something. I have gone back to see if the adult bird was there but nothing. I have not even heard of the bird you mentioned.

We do see a hummingbird once in a while here in MD but very few.

Thanks for the info, I will check back in a few days to see if I can get a pic of mama.
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
I'm jealous stoney, that is great information and pics from you both. The size of the nest made me think hummingbird but I didn't think the construction was right. Must be an omen though. Saw this thread, a Hummingbird at the window today, and made a deal on a Hummingbird recurve.TRIFECTA!  :thumbsup:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Shep,

When you check back, listen for a thin insect like buzzing.  The parents will be around, and they will let you know they aren't happy.

Here is a link to its vocalization:

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/Song/h7510so.mp3  

For as tiny as they are, they have a big attitude.  Fun birds to watch.  During spring turkey season this year, I had one land about 6 inches above my head on a branch and cuss at me for a quarter hour!  These are neotropical migrants, they will leave in mid September and head back to central america during our winter.

Owl,
Can't take credit for the pics, just did a quick internet search to find a good pic.  Been birding for 15 years now, and it is a great tie in with archery.  When the turks or whitetails aren't cooperating, I still get a lot out of the experience by birding during the hunt.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
I think you're right, Stoney. I watched a pair building a nest at Huntley Meadows many years ago, and listen for their sibilant whisperings each spring. Seems late for them to be having a clutch, but they do as they are programmed.

I took a pic, back when I spent all my free time in that park behind a long lens. The little fella looked like a 1950's rocket ship from the side! They are some of the bug-eatingest little rats you ever saw, and I developed a healthy respect for what the tiny birds were doing for me in that mosquito-ridden swamp.

Killdeer    :)
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
Check out this link for pictures of baby hummingbirds.

http://community-2.webtv.net/Velpics/HUM/
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©