3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spray Paint for Arrow Dip  (Read 1126 times)

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
Spray Paint for Arrow Dip
« on: August 09, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
Once I spray the Enamel on the shaft & let dry good, should I spray a polyurathane over the paint also or not necessary, also I've been using standard fletch tite for "Years" with no problems, will it work on the painted surface ? Thanks Much ...

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spray Paint for Arrow Dip
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
ttt
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
I use spray and have had no problems with it other than a fletch occasionally loosening; I just glue them back and they work fine. I use either fletch tite or superglue.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
I've had problems with feathers coming off on painted shafts. (I do use spray paint on my carbons)  Duco cement is the answer for me.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
I'm facing the same issue.  Krylon or Rustoleum spraypaint, then using fletch-tite platinum.

The glue takes a REALLY long time to dry. Like over an hour.  I just do one or two feathers a day. I'm never in a hurry when it comes to fletching, so I'm cool with it.  I haven't had any feathers come off, but I kinda think its a matter of time.

*Also, I'm using the Testor's clear coat.  That may be affecting the glue, too.

I recently used Fletch Tape to fletch feathers to my painted shafts.  So far so good!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
I hate to sound silly but I used to dip everything. Mess with the Fletch Lac, put a little thinner in the dip tube and stick an arrow in it and count how many drips in 30 seconds to make sure I had the right consistency. Dip, hang to dry, clean up the mess, always looking for a better way to do it because it's time consuming and a big pain in the butt. Thought about spraying and then I tried wraps, wouldn't use anything else. Wraps from Onestringer are the only way to go.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
Thanks fellas, I should uv mentioned they're CX Heritage Shafts ... And is Deft spray "Only" for wood ??

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
I spray paint my CX Heritage and then apply a few coats of wipe on poly. The Poly evens the paint step between the paint and the bare shaft a little.

When fletching, I use fletch tape and I put a drop of superglue on each end of the feathers. Have had no problem what so ever.

When the arrow has to be refletched, I just rip the old ones off but the superglue has to be gently scraped off with a blade. I find that the wipe on poly protects the paint from being scraped off. I just apply a thin coat of poly before refletching.

Simon

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
I wouldn't ever just paint and fletch over them.I think they need a coat of poly to protect the paint and give a more durable surface to fletch to.

I like to use flecth tape over poly finishes on woodies,as I'm used to using CA glue with 15 second set time on carbons and aluminums.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Vanilla Gorilla:
I'm facing the same issue.  Krylon or Rustoleum spraypaint, then using fletch-tite platinum.

The glue takes a REALLY long time to dry. Like over an hour.  I just do one or two feathers a day. I'm never in a hurry when it comes to fletching, so I'm cool with it.  I haven't had any feathers come off, but I kinda think its a matter of time.

LocTite super glue gel works great.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
I use Krylon Lac. and clear lac over the paint. Then Fletch tape with a dab of glue on each end of the feather,Fleltch tite glue. Had no problems in 3 years.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
Thanks fellas, don't know if the Fletch Tite will lift the paint or not, guess I'll find out tomorrow ...

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
I use RC model car spray paint on carbons. It is not cheap paint but I had issues with fletch lac sticking to CE trad shafts. I spray the paint, usually 2 coats, let dry a day , do my cresting, then dip 4 times in Gasket Laq. I fletch with Ducco cement. I tried Fletch tite on a "story" shaft and the Fletch Lac lifted the area I fletched.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
I have sprayed some shafts with Rustoleum white from HD, crested them, then sprayed them with Rustoleum "clear" and the next day all the paint was pealing off. Any ideas?

Also, I just want to make certain I am clear. Spray with paint, crest, then either dip or wipe on the laquer? What specific lacquer do you use? Can you use Bohning clear? Can you use the stuff they sell at HD for wood? How to apply? sponge brush? dip in tube?

Just looking for specifics as I am new to this process too. do you apply the clear over Bohning dipping paint too?

I am a big fan of the "super glue" CA type stuff. Works very well and sets up quick. The fletch tite was taking way too long to set up.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
On my wood shafts I lightly stain the whole shaft, then wait a day or so, then tape off the top 10" or so and spray with cheap spray paint,then wait a while usually till the next day just because im in no hurry and usually have plenty of arrows on hand, then put my last name (RAU also my name here)on with a sharpy and also number them, that way if the same arrows is always missing in the same general direction I know to check it out for flaws. Then I mist over the sharpy writing and spray paint/stain junction to keep them from smearing in the next step, then I dip in gasket laquer through a dip tube and gasket that I buy from J&M traditions when their at the Harrisburg Sports Show. I dont know much about what the product is, other than its made by Sherwin Williams and the last I bought from him was in quart Listerine bottles. Its milky white in the bottle and dries clear on the shaft. I put a bunch of coats on, then fletch with tape. Some day i'll get a crester and paints and try to make some real pretty stuff but I'm real pleased with these for now.

Offline CaptJack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
what's nice about wraps is when you want to peel it all off to start over
just peel off the wrap and it all comes off
then a little de-natured alcohol to clean up any residue adheasive
and you're ready for the new wrap and fletching
and you can always crest your wraps

the only time I like Fletch-Tite Platinum is when glueing directly to bare carbon shafts - any other time I only use the old Fletch-Tite white tube - 20min dry time
Partners TD / Quinn Stallion

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
Spray with Krylon, let dry, crest and then seal with two coats of Minwax wipe on poly.  Use Duco.  Very quick and durable.  Never had a feather come loose.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
I've used spray paint then dipped in poly with wood arrows. Glued with Duco and always had good luck except with gold and silver paints. Those two colors didn't stay together for me. All others that I've used have worked well.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
Despair!!!!! I spray painted 5 alum. arrows with the Rustoleum white gloss paint. Applied some very nice cresting (if I say so myself) using Testors paint. Dried and looked absolutely great. Took 1 arrow to shed and using a sponge brush applied some Bohning blue clear to just the painted/crested portion. Within seconds portions of the paint started to "bubble up" which looked almost like very fragile alum. foil. Not the entire painted area but just a 1 inch area....which ruined the arrow. Is the alum. arrow portion of this throwing me off? Is it the type of paint? Type of laquer? UGH!!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
I don't know for sure but I be thinking there be a clash between enamel and lacquer there. Spray paints are enamel and I think Bohning products deal with laquer?????? Maybe so y'all?
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©