3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need some reccomendations on Hip Boots  (Read 299 times)

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Need some reccomendations on Hip Boots
« on: August 11, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
I'm going to Alaska on the 30th. Need some advice on comfortable hip boots. If such a thing exists.Or some alternatives. Thanks. Michael
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some reccomendations on Hip Boots
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
I bought some from Muck Boot Company last year and they are great.  Not cheap, but worth it.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
When I lived and hunted in AK I never wore them.  They are not made for walking in.  Get you self a good pair of water proof boots, if you want waders buy some cheap packable ones for crossings only.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
Depends on where you are going and what you are doing.  If you really do need hippers, I prefer rubber with out those %I^*@%&-%!&%!&% ankle fit.  I almost had to cutthem of once as they are too tight without dry socks.  I would think thinnner and lighter notthe 5# a piece kind.  If on lots of rocks I prefer felt bottom.  Cabela's has stocking foot hip boots.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
Sunny
Might be a good idea to say what your hunting and where. Steve H could probably tell you exactly what to wear then. I think he went hunting 1 time in Alaska.  :D
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
The main objective is a Dall sheep in unit 19. I am being really optimistic and bought a Moose tag also. I would imagine in the mountains I don't need the hippers.
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
For that kind of hunt I would rather have a good pair of water proof boots not waders. I don't hunt the mountains much any more but I loved the Cabelas Mountain Hunters when I did. I hunted Caribou a few years ago and some guys in camp had Muck boots and they loved them, but sheep hunting is a great deal more climbing and rocks than Central Barren Ground Caribou hunting so good leather is important.

Be safe and have a great hunt ....
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Like Doug said I have hunted Alaska once, or so.

"...so good leather is important"

I prefer plastic for goats and sheep.  Also works for quick crossings to take the booties out and go it with the shells alone and dump the water on the other side.  For extended wading I use a pair of Sorel wool liners cut down to fill the space of the booties.  Have gone ten miles upstream at one time that way.  

I think you will find lots of glaical streams where you are headed.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
I like leather when sheep hunting. Personally I only wear plastics when aggressive alpine cleats are a must.

Honestly given the incredibly strenuous nature of sheep hunting the last thing I'd have in my pack would be a set of hip boots! Less than useless in sheep country. You do know the success rate for archery sheep is less than 10% right!?! Dollar to a doughnut you'll never get a chance to use that moose tag and even if you do connect early, sheep hunting has a way of draining folks trust me you'll need any extra time you have to recover.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
Might look into NEOS they have a hip boot now. May or may not be up to snuff for Alaska, I've got a pair but haven't used em much yet. NEOS are an over boot type thing make sure you get large enough to fit your hunting/packing boots. Nice and light weight.

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
I have Cabela's Bog Busters and love them!  Very comfortable, I can wear them for days without noticing any extra weight.  They have rubber "shoes" and neoprene legs.  The shoes have buckles to keep them tight.  Very durable and come in handy when you are kneeling down to glass.  I agree with Steve and Rick, though.  I don't think you're gonna need them in sheep country.  I've never actually been "in" sheep country, too short in the legs and too round in the middle.  But I've flown over it many times at close range and I believe I'd leave the hipsters at the bottom.

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
I carried some light weight river shoes for creek crossing on my hunt.  I would talk to your outfitter and he can tell you what you need.  He is going to be able to tell you what kind of country you will be dealing with.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
What Steve and Rick said, good boots are a must for sheep hunting. Talk to you guide as nurayb says. I would recomend getting a set of the ultra light weight waders you can roll up and put in your pocket for stream crossings, they go on inside your boots/shoes.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
BTW I blew out a pair of Wiggy's creek waders in one tiney crossing.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
On the Wiggy's:

My partner and I each took them to AK on last year's moose hunt. His leaked. Mine didn't. We did not abuse them, but did use them almost every day to cross a river about 40 yards wide. His waders were tan colored and made of lighter weight fabric than mine, which were black. If ordering them, I'd be sure to ask for their heaviest material. They'll guarantee them against premature failure, but that won't be much comfort when your feet are getting wet midstream.

Good: Light weight. Convenient. Packable. Affordable. Wear regular hunting boots.

Fair: Not much bottom grip in fast water crossings. Not able to take a lot of rough use in rocks. They tend to "sail" some in fast current.

Bad: Only if they leak. Be sure you have some Goop or silicone or tape back in camp.

Would I use & recommend them? I'm going back to AK in 4 weeks and the Wiggy's are going along. I'm not taking hip boots or regular waders. So yeah...I'd recommend them. Beats slogging around all day in hippers, and you can't beat the weight savings either.

Kevin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©