3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool Camo Cost & Quality  (Read 1311 times)

Offline 47pronghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool Camo Cost & Quality
« on: August 11, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
I'm looking to purchase a good set a camo that will last me. I see Day One has consistency issues in quality and customer service, however, thier price is nice. Columbia Gallatin is very affordable, but not 100% wool. Grey Wolf, is very nice, but very expensive. I'd rather not part with $500 for camo unless necessary. My questions to you are:

1. Do I really need wool? If not, what do you recommend?

2. Is Grey Wolf that much better than Day One?

3. Is Gallatin decent for the money?

4. Is camo even needed? If not, what do you recommend?

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool Camo Cost & Quality
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
If you haven't seen it.....ASAT now offers a pretty nice line of Merino Wool products.  I expect my shipment to arrive any day, now....and I'm excited to see how it stacks up with the wool prodcuts I've been privy to.

My opinion on the ASAT pattern is based on my past experiences with it (all positive).  I have NO experience with the Merino Wool, but I'll be honest in my assessments when it arrives.

My opinion of wool is.....why not ALSO have a tried and true camo pattern on it?

Offline 47pronghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
I have not seen it, I'll give it a look directly.

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
Find some of the old Army surplus stuff.  Some of if it is camo, most is OD but, 100% wool.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
Wool is wool-you either like it or you don't and, unfortunately, the best of it is high dollar. I like wool, but I also like good fleece, Goretex and cotton at times. I bought the Columbia Gallatin "blend" at first because I didn't see paying the high cost of the other brands. I found it unsatisfactory in terms of pattern (no contrast), warmth (wind blows right through it) and how it held up to rain (not warm). Got rid of it all. Then I got a KOM vest, which is lined with some sort of wind-resistant stuff, and I love it. It is the single warmest layering garment I've ever owned, surpassing even my old Filson vest. Last season I bought a Sleeping Indian Shirt Jac and I love that, too.

Here's the thing about good, 100% natural wool: other fabrics can do the various things that wool does, but none of them do it all. Wool is quiet, shapes to you for comfort, stays warm if it gets wet, breaths when it is warm, insulates when it is colder, doesn't hold odors and doesn't reflect light so it's good camouflage. And yes, the better stuff is worth the money as you will have it for many years.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
I can't compare it to Day One because I have no experience with that product (although I have read good things)  I can sure vouch for the Gray Wolf Woolens though.  Top quality wool and great Predator patterns.  Custom made to fit you exactly. Great stuff, and long term investment.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline 47pronghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
huntryx, that is what i figured and read from reading various threads. i just hate to spend so much on camo. there are more fun things to be had, like...a new Pronghorn! ;D

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Gray Wolf is top notch all the way! Have you looked at G. Fred Asbells line of wool?
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
Boy, I sure hear you on that one. It's a stretch for most of us to afford good wool, and I can't imagine buying an entire outfit all at once. Yikes! I'm happy to have a few key items (like a vest) which I enjoy and which get better every year.

Offline 47pronghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
I really like the price of Day One, but am nervous about all the complaints I have read. Anyone care to  back them up?

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Affordable, pendleton wool jacket and pants. I love the jacket, purchased a size larger so I can wear a sweater underneath. I use mine in Michigan in December. I also have a heavy pullover and vest from Asbell's line of wool, nice and comfortable. My pendleton is camo and asbell's is not. I like natural colors, red,tan,grey,olive, and black.
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
1 - Yes
2 - Codet is a great solid wool for an unbeatable price

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
I have had KOM, SI, GWW and Day One.  As of today I have some SI left and a set of Day One in ASAT.  SI served me well for many years, but I tried Day One because I like the ASAT.  I have found the clothes well made and very warm.  Gary is kind of a one man show so his response time is not great, but I ordered early and had no problems.  

D.P.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
How does one get info on G. Fred's wool?  I saw where they would be at a bow shoot (to far away for me to attend), sent an e-mail (2 weeks and no response), and I don't see it listed on his website?
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
Doctari--do you mean Pendleton wool?

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
I bought a pair of swedish surplus pants 40$! heavy weight, cargo pockets, good fit, you would want to wear somthing under them they are kind of itchy but excellant for the money!! I am interisted in G.Fred wool but can't seem to get any info on it! even called with no luck! anybody know? Good Hunting, Jason

Offline donnyjack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
I've used the Gallatin and I agree with huntryx. It's also very heavy, just not a good bowhunter garment. Would be fine for setting in a box blind with a gun or around camp which is what I now use it for.  
I presently using Ron LaClair's pullover and like it alot with my old mil-spec. paints;

http://www.shrewbows.com/wool_shirts/

but they are not camo-ed if that what you want but I haven't noticed that it make that much differance.

Hope this helps.

DJ
Love Life, Bowhunt, Flyfish, and Play a Martin Guitar                        :thumbsup:

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
Only you, can answer the question about whether you "need" wool or not. A lot of it depends on whether you have a hard time staying warm or not. About five years ago, when I ordered two complete outfits from Jeff at Gray Wolf Woolens, both my wife and I opted out of the wool. Wool requires more to take care of, and after speaking with Jeff would most likely be to warm for the climate that we hunt in.

That being said.......we ordered the "wolfskin" with comformax insulation and windstop both. The quality of the work that he does combined with the durability of the material was, and still is unreal. Yes, we dumped a few dollars into both outfits, but today it still looks and performs just as well as it did the day we received it. Sometime in the future, I'm gonna order us some "lighter weight" stuff, and may look into Day One.

If you truly want something that will last a LONG time, and not require re-purchasing give Jeff Aulik at Gray Wolf a call. His product is some of the best that money can buy.

Oh, and my wife is one of those people that has a hard time staying warm......but not with her Wolfskin on.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
I always wondered about Day One wool because of the relatively good pricing and finally saw some in person this past June.  I was impressed.  I ended up buying a pair of pants and a jacket in ASAT.  I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but it looks great and is made for bowhunting..  I have also heard the stories of bad customer service but I was lucky enough to buy from Gary on the spot and walk away with my items.  From the SI and KOM I have seen, Day One looks like a good deal.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
I have some ASAT in"Bucksuede" from Day One, but not any wool. The quality is top-notch. I plan on ordering some wool from Gary in the near future.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©