3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool Camo Cost & Quality  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool Camo Cost & Quality
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
I have camo wool and non (plaids) I just ordered a pendleton wool plaid from the big auction site plaids work well. Watched the video "bowhunting Reflections" and one gentleman on the video had all wool plaids and made close kills. Im definetely leaning toward my plaid wools this season plus plaids are a lot cheaper than quality camo wool. If I had to do all over again I would buy quality wool but not camo.

Offline CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
I have recently received Sleeping Indian pant and shirt, quality is awesome, great camo pattern, can't wait till hunting season starts.
I believe that you get what you pay for, and with wool I think this is true! It is a long term investment, because you will have the wool outfit for many years to come!

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
I'm sure that any pattern that breaks up your human form will do, whether it's technically camo or not. But I think you still have to match the TONE of your surroundings--muted colors, or high contrast depending. Some plaids do a great job. I just have camo because it's easier for me to have dedicated hunting clothes which I keep separate and because I think it's fun to try to blend in the best I can.
Once a number of years ago I was walking to my orchard stand in a Woolrich wool muted plaid jacket, the closest they got to the browns and greens of camo in those days, and a couple of fawns came running up to within 3 feet of me before they realized I was a person. They were looking for their mother, who was off getting bred at the time, I think. I am convinced that the color tones and the non-reflective nature of the wool was responsible for this encounter.

Offline 47pronghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
sleeping indian and KOM is rediculous, i'm not sure how anyone can justify those prices. $1k for bibs and jacket. geez...

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
Look at some army surplus web sites alot cheaper but none camo.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
Last year I bought Cabelas wool fleese blend and it is warm. I really like Day-one's stuff super nice man. The wind blows through my KOM,  cover it with wind braking material and it is toastie.
My favorite wool is Good will $3 merlino sweeters.

Joe 17 days,15 hours til elk season
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
I've had several of the ones mentioned. From the cheaper Gallatin, merino, cabelas wool,to SI, Swanee,and now KOM.(never used day one or grey wolf. But have heard nothing but good about both) Let me tell you, ridiculous is only to the cold person. Yes, my KOM cost $500.00 plus. But it will still be on my back 15 to 20 years from now(if I stay this weight). It will outlast 5 cotton coats. I'll sell you some gallatin bibs cheap if you want them. Besides Swanee, KOM is tops in my book. Warm, quality made, and with the liner they are windproof. Pay now, or pay later. It's up to you.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
I guess I'm a little bit lucky as I have 2 complete sets of KOM. Started buying 1 or 2 pcs. a yr. starting in 1985. Don't even want to think what it would cost today but it is still going strong, and I have put it thru heck. Around home is one thing but on a wilderness hunt good wool could just save your life, you can't put a price on that! As a little side note, back in the late 80's I had a seamstress do a few little modificationson some KOM. She mentioned at the loom shop next store the owner was the national champion loomer, (yes I guess they have a competion for such things),and to show it to her, which I did. She almost ripped the shirt out my hand, laid it on the table where she really gave it quite the examination. After about 2 mins. of total silence she looked up at me and said "It's an absolute masterpeice, I can't even tell how it's made." I really got a kick out of that. I have some $100 sweaters I got for $5 at salv. army and they are great, so look around. You don't have to spend big bucks to stay warm, but you probably won't be sorry if you do.
Tom

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
I've used SI for years and Grey Wolf for the past 2.  Both are 1st class garments and worth their weight in gold when the temps drop.
Otto

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Tried the Woolrich and Columbia last year and found the Columbia to preety good as long as the wind is 10mph or less. Wind went thru Woolrich bad !

Got a Gray Wolf bomber jacket off the auction site for a steal and even though it is unlined the wind still could not be felt riding an ATV at 30MPH !!! Will be buying more Gray Wolf stuff for sure, especially after talking with Jeff and getting a sample pack of his materials.

Question for you vest guys and gals..... ? How many wear it over clothes and how many wear it under your coat ?

nocams  :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
Save your money and buy a Heater Body Suit.  If your gonna be sittin', ya can't beat 'em.  :campfire:

Offline 47pronghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
several convincing arguments, i am very much into quality when i buy gear, so you are apealing to me on that point. i live in TN, and have always had trouble staying warm even through it doesnt get all that cold here. even if i layer up like i should. im deffinately sold on wool (not columbia). is KOM gear worth the price over Day One or Grey Wolf? if it is, that's what i'll get.

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
You will not be sorry if you invest in either KOM or Sleeping Indian. Yes, it is that much better. Go to the SI website and listen to Ted's video.

Offline 47pronghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
i really like SI, leaning more towards them. should i get lined or unlined? if im spending a fortune it would be nice to have a little versatility ;D. how is wool to wear in the summer? i would assume hot, but i've never owned any so i'll ask.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
I too am in TN and for some reason folks don't seem to think it ever gets cold here ? Hunted several days last year and it was less than 10 degrees when heading to stand with lots of humidity to boot. Any wool I buy will have a liner. Heard too many stories about having a $400 coat or pants and wind blowing thru, not good ! One thing I have found to be totally true about wool versus man made stuff is it's breathability. When walking in and out in wool, even though it is heavy and will keep you warm it does not sweat you up as bad as synthetics that cannot breathe like wool.

I also questioned lots of folks last year that had the big three.... KOM, SI, GWW and found that most who had bought some of each and had the choice of buying again would buy Gray Wolf hands down. I think all three are quality products and it comes down to personal choice. I am leaning toward Gray Wolf due to the 27oz tight weave wool and the fact that I can get it in Predator Fall Gray pattern. After having to, "hunt" , for my 13yr old son who was wearing this awesome overlooked pattern !!! We are ditching all our old Mossy Oak Break up and going all Predator FG when and where we can. JMHO

nocams  :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline 47pronghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
and all i have is fall gear, when you get down in the 50's i have problems staying warm. i'm sure it is inadequate gear, would be nice to stay warm, and extend hunts...

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
one more thing bud..... make the best investment in wool on the planet..... Ullfrotte' longjohns  !!! We have the 400gr weight and do not leave home without it. The greatest thing about it is the warmth and breathability. Again, will not sweat you up like synthetics. Before we bought the Ullfrotte' we were using the Army surplus polypro longjohns. They are good don't get me wrong, especially for the $40 for a top and bottom set. However, they will sweat you up if you are not carrying all your outerwear to the stand and they also hold scent bad ! Remember.... man made stuff is nothing but a old plastic soda bottle and plastic does not breathe !!!

nocams   :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline 47pronghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
thats a good idea. maybe i'll get those and some decent summer gear for this year. and next year i can get some SI. cant really spend $1500 on camo in one year  :D . as long as we're talking about warmth, what about feet? my feet get cold at the house when it's 70 degrees, i can never keep them warm in the woods. it's always mind over matter for me when hunting...

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
Cabelas ultimate boot socks I think is the name of them ? Early season we wear 100 % merino wool socks we buy at a local outlet for like $4 a pair, what a steal ! The cabelas socks are 16" tall I think and are about 80 % wool with the remainder man made stuff to help them hold their shape and provide blister protection. I have had them for about 5 yrs and they are like new.

The mistake most make is wearing too warm boots with too much thinsulate in them and they sweat their feet to death on the way to the stand. Again, wool retains it's warmth factor even when wet so they make the ultimate footwear. Just READ the label carefully to make sure you get at least 80 % merino wool in the sock. You will find you can wear much thinner lighter boots with a good wool sock.

On most days in TN down to about 40 degrees with a high in the 50's we wear good wool socks, uninsulated rubber boots or 600 gr max, Ulfrotte' longjohns, cotton pants, carry our wool or fleece coats on our stands, and a good fleece beanie on the noggin. No sweating on the way in and plenty warm during the day. If it is colder than that we will add a vest under the coat and wear the wool pants instead of cotton. Add a chemical handwarmer for each pocket and you are set down to 10 degrees.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
I have kom ,sleeping indian, and grey wolf, the king has lasted me for 15 years and still looks almost like new. Have a new grey wolf vest and it is excellent quality and the service was fantastic! Ive wore the kom alot I hunt over 90 days in the fall , I wont go any place hunting without it. It has a liftime gaurantee and will be replaced or fixed if somthing goes wrong . Also have a look at classic bowman nice plaid camo very well made...Tim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©