3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: favorite elk calls  (Read 244 times)

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
favorite elk calls
« on: August 11, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
Ok all you elk hunters.I am replenishing my elk call arsenal and havent been elk hunting in about 10 years,so whats your favorite call and why.Both Bull or cow?
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: favorite elk calls
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
A well placed tree stand.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
First and foremost learn to use a reed.  I prefer 2 or 2.5 reeds.  Carltons yellows have great tone And Bugling Bull's hot coaxer and sremain tormentor, those are my favorites.    You can do anything with them , they give the best sounding bugles, more diverse, and any cow call.  Barry used to make a hot pink criss cross or a red one call that was super tight and made some wicked screams, though it was really a one trick pony which did not cow call for beans.

Get Elknuts Grunt tube, they are worth the price, a good tube will make all the difference.  I've owned every brand, still do, from Abe and sons to Primos to woods wise, HS, etc... and many many multiple custom bat Tubes...   Bugling Bulls Monarch Tube is also a great sounding tube, but its a good deal heavier than elknuts and not as custom (I still use a monarch time to time).  

If you want external reeds for cows I like the hyper lip single (primos) and hyper hot cow call (carltons).  

Talk to elknut  ( elknut.com) he'll hook you up with what you need and not what you don't.  

My opinion, good luck out there.  Dan
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
Dito. I carry a bunch. I always use a mouth call. Primos open reeds are my go to call with Carlton and Sceery open reeds as well. The only closed call I use is the little calf call from Sceery - I like the way it sounds. I don't bugle a ton and use my mouth reed when I do. If I was going to only use one call I'd use a mouth reed, and if you can't use one then I like the Hyperlip Double. FWW.

Good luck and have fun!
Is it September yet?!

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Reed or a Sceery. Calling is over rated. In Idaho I hardley call at all, but I carry a reed.Too many people and too many hoochie mommas.They are great tools but we need to be wise about how and why to use them. I guess it depends on what states you plan on hunting. I don't think you need to buy an arsenal just a couple reeds and learn how to use them.I don't even carry a grunt tube anymore.Good luck

Offline Wallcrawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Diaphram calls are the ticket if your family can handle you practicing them.  Hunter Specialties Mac Daddy actually is idiot proof and works great too.  I hate to admit how well my Woods Wise single reed bite down estrus call works.  That is all I use and find it to be very effective, I did all the calling instead of my guide in the Bob Marshall a few years ago with this set-up and it worked well.  Always be wary when the only archery guide in an outfit tells you that you know more about hunting elk than he does.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the info so far guys.I will be hunting n.w.colorado and I don't like to over call anything, there is a time and place for everything. But I do need some experieced opinions on the calls  just in case the right circumstance presents it's self and I appreciate the info.keep it coming.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
I think you're right about not over calling Mike, but there are times and situations for it.  I prefer the diaphrams for most of it.  And a good hyper hot type mouth call.  I carry a bugle tube, but use more cow calls than anything.

Elknut sells some great diaphram calls - I love the Mellow Yellow.  Have you gotten his DVD's yet?  They are the best investment you could make - lots of info. on more than just calling but also how to react in all kinds of situations.

How did your scouting trip go?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline elktalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »
By far my favorite call is primos hyper lip single some think its to loud but its not, elk are loud when they talk. Watch one of the Primos vidios its good schooling, you can learn alot by watching them.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 04:46:00 AM »
From my observations of elk in the winter; when they are not being hunted by humans; is that they pretty much know the 'voice' of other elk in their family groups. An elk can live over 30 years; and in that time produce many generations.
 Just like you might remember the voice of someone in your family - they can recognize the vocalizations of elk they congregate with.

I took my hoochie momma call; and numerous other calls and have watched the reactions of the elk that winter here. I can walk out the door in the winter and see 500 different elk; and can hear them while inside my cabin.
 What I have noticed is that every call I have used has alerted elk in the winter- except one.

The hoochie momma that works in the fall when different groups of elk are gathered up in the breeding season; and are going through different hormonal phases.. might spook the heck out of elk in the winter ( and has).

All the calls mentioned above I have tried in the winter; and all upset the elk at that time.

The only call that does not upset them; and that can be used to call in elk in the fall is the OLD STYLE 'elk inc' call; a folded plastic call with a rubber band for a reed.

Why- I have no idea.

As Wahoo mentioned - the use of calls here in Idaho is becoming less and less a working method of getting elk in. It might be because of the wolf pressure that seems to have the effect of bunching elk up. ( I saw 93 elk in one herd -three days ago).

Bunched up they might stay more familiar with each others individual tone of their calls.

When I watch elk now I see that body language is used by elk more than vocal calls. For instance- I don't hear elk bark as much as I see them look physically alert. Perhaps elk here have found that being vocal brings in the wolves.

That being said - there are other ways to call in an elk.
 When elk are silent; if you take a stout branch the size of an elk antler; and smack a tree with it; and then rub the branch up and down the tree (the same size tree as you see rubs on) - you can bring bulls in.
 You can find a pine tree that you can push back and forth and make a 'swishing sound' like an elk does when pushing on a tree -- that- has worked many many times for me. Raking the ground with a branch and as well bushes is imitation again of elk breeding behavior noises.

They can bring bulls in when nothing else can - so using them in a place where elk are being vocal could be a good 'calling method' to use.

The use of a decoy can work too; especially in conjunction when calling elk.

Will Primos; who I am convinced is not human; but a Vulcan - one of Spocks relatives ( and I say that with great respect for Vulcans) - used to promote the person that is calling be 50 yards behind the person doing the shooting. Now he talks about not 50: but 100 to 150. I suggest listening to what he says closely - he is a master at calling in elk- and equally importantly- how to prepare for a shot opportunity on an elk.

Elk talk is best explained by Elknut. I bow three times a day in the direction of his home.
  :)  

Its not just the sound of the call; its the ability to repeat the same sounds; and when to use each sound; and when not too.

One thing people do wrong when bugling is not to use enough volume. Used to be in Boise this time of year you could hear people practicing bugling outside. Outside: because thats where wives chased bugle practice too. Indoor bugling practice is best done when nobody is there to tell you to turn down the volume.
 I have heard perfect calls from new elk hunters - save the fact they sound like an elk a mile away. If you bugle- do it loudly !!

Cow calls though - they can be best when barely audible. There is even a dampening device out there that fits over a hoochie momma call that works really well.

Not that I am rambling while counting down the days here....     :campfire:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 06:46:00 AM »
Mike, go back and reread Brian's post.  Then read it again, and again.  There is a wealth of information in there!
Great information Brian!!   :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:  
And yeah, your addiction is showing   :D
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »
Ummm, This stuff is getting jucy.Much more info than I anticipated.Whip I ended up with the elknut videos from st.jude.They are excellent.The scouting trip was excellent,We found a good camping area on the edge of the wilderness area..I have been practicing with a couple reeds but want to get familiar with some other calls.  :campfire:

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
I agree with Brian just can't write that much.All those methods work for me and we hunt the same country. The low cow calls few and far between work great,good for locating cows and bulls. I called a nice bull in last year just breaking limbs off of a pine tree. A couple good reeds. That call Brian is talking about is the original cow call made in Gardner Mont. I don't know that they are made anymore.Good luck.

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
Primos Sonic Dome Double Reed diaphragm and an Abe & Sons Tube. Hoochie Mama for the cow call.

Offline Stix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
I've been using the Primos Lead Cow and Calf call for years. It always seems to call 'em in. It also seems to bring in mulie doe's too.
Stix

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
I'll second that brian, but nobody carries E.L.K calls around here anymore.  I wore my bands out years ago.  You got me wanting to make an internet purchase and use it again this year!

Don's books are VERY good elk huntin books too, the elk talk series.  That guy was a true pioneer, I watched his vid and bought one of his calls when they were the only thing out there.  My first call up was with one, when I was 7 in the riverbottom behind the house.  That bull came right up to me, mewing back the whole way, I was hooked.  I'm going to go pull that thing out of retirement...

It makes a dandy antelope challenge too.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
still sell the original cow call on Amazon $10.95. Good luck. Like Brian said our elk are pretty uptight right now. In Co. they may talk like they did here 15yrs ago don't know.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©