3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tactics for Squirrels?  (Read 546 times)

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tactics for Squirrels?
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
exactly boomerang!!  I swear if I get in a stand they come from all over.  I think they are so used to seeing people in stands and most people leave them alone, that they just don't pay much attention.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
hey bro what ever ya do DONT SIT ON THE GROUND!!! AS YA WILL END UP AS CHIGGER BAIT !!!! belive me it aint fun at all. mind you the tree rats will have a laugh.   :biglaugh:      :jumper:      :jumper:    :thumbsup:have fun bro get one or two fer me. oh i forgot dont go doing the "Tennessee Bird Walk" mind you that would be way to funny bro.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
squirrels love being out on rainy days and i love to stillhunt them and take grond shots.
i too stopped using flu-flus after watching squirrels duck them as they came whistling at them. use a BH! or blunts at the head. foxy's are tough buggers!

Offline Shore08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
If you see this dude, run!

Otherwise, you may want to give this a shot:

That may slow them down a bit, though the wobble it can induce may make a few shots necessary  :D

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »
Rob with the post Shore08 just sent I think you might have to carry some back up with you if you come across that dude...That tree rat will probally say something like "knife". "That ain't no knife Now this is a knife"!

Offline Shore08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
Either that or pick his teeth with your broadhead after it bounces off him  :D

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
One of the best ways is to basically sit and hunt like you're hunting deer,but hunt squirrels.Basically camo up,sit and wait.

If you're still hunting them,look for the good hickory stands.One of the best times to still hunt them I think is just after the rain finishes,and the rain drops are on the leaves still,early in the morning.You'll hear the squirrels in the trees knocking the water off the leaves from a LONG ways off in still woods.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by HO'NEHE JEFF:
hey bro what ever ya do DONT SIT ON THE GROUND!!! AS YA WILL END UP AS CHIGGER BAIT !!!! belive me it aint fun at all.  
Tell me about it Bro! My legs already look like topo maps of South Island!   :biglaugh:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
DEET DEET DEET!!!! i think thats what works i will tell ya when i come over at the end of june will be there for 4 -5 weeks heading up to ATAR and DENTON HILL shoots. now that  should be a hoot!!
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline JDeanP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
Ill preface my experience by letting you know it's taken place at over 9,000 ft in heavy pines in Colorado. These grey little buggers are more aggressive here than the reds back home in Tennessee, so Im not certain how this will differ when I get back or if this will be relevant for anyone.

I find that most of the time I don't even have to "look for" these greys. They start barking when Im 15-20 yards out and I just start working towards the barker. They tend to be aggressive enough to give a first shot. If that does not connect (read: WHEN that does not connect) sometimes they run the trees and don't give as easy a shot. Now here's the goofy part: if I hide myself behind a tree between myself and the squirrel they tend to work closer to me and present a better shot (that is still missed) in an attempt to locate/keep an eye on me.

LIke I said, I don't know if this will work with other species, in other places, etc., but anything is worth a try if there's a chance of Tennessee Buffalo Wings at the end of the day.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..."

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
PM sent robtattoo
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
rob... the squirrels around here are hitting the hickories pretty good. Find a hickory with a pile of fresh nut scraps (cuttins') and hide near by.

Use your ears you can hear the nuts fall occasionally. You will also hear their teeth chiseling away the hard hickory nut shells and it can sound like rain hitting the forest floor when several are in a tree.

Usually if you find a popular tree, every squirrel in the area will visit it. I've seen as many as a dozen in one tree.

Use your eyes as well. Watch for the telltale and out of place movement of limbs and leaves.
You can often see the nut pieces falling around a good tree.
Remember, anything falling from the trees (like a lone leaf or piece of leafy limb) this time of year was most likely cut or dislodged. Look up it's a sign.

When a squirrel is in the tree you can wait him out if you are patient... he WILL show himself.
Watch for obvious routes of travel. Squirrels will often turn certain limbs or logs into little highways. Take advantage of it.

If you have a squirrel hiding behind the trunk of a tree, you can often chase him around to your side.
Just wait for a while and be absolutely quiet. Pitch a stick or nut beyond the tree and the squirrel will often scooch around to your side.
Be quick.

Foremost, have fun buddy.   http://www.tradgang.com/upload/charlie/fallingsquirrel1.jpg
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
Man, I love that photo!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©