3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: effect of changing brace height?  (Read 1177 times)

Online champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: effect of changing brace height?
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »
what Katman AND old york says...this has always worked for me.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2009, 05:50:00 AM »
glad I got rid of my wheel bows this tradional stuff is so much simpler.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2009, 06:21:00 AM »
LOL JIM  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Spike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »
Well, I will see about testing my bow on the Easton mapper this weekend, it gets data every 0.10 inch of draw. I will test at 6.5" brace and 7.5" brace.
Till then guess I should twist up to 20" brace and shoot telephonepoles. :-)
Big Jim TC 56" 53#@29"
Live Free or Die!

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »
The language used is driving me bananas- The arrow spine does not change, no matter what you do to your brace height! Saying that doing this or that makes the arrow stiffer or weaker just confuses the issue. The BOW is changing, not the arrow!!

I know, I know. My wife says I'm too sensitive.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
In spite of all that's written, indeed test for yourself.
I've found Easton's information accurate,  if  
I'm close in spine to begin with.

BH tuning is for minor tweaking,
when one has already found the sweet zone.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
I have played with this some, on my black widow PSA recurve. The specs say to brace it between 8.25 and 9 inches. But it just seemed too loud to me, and then I read on another forum where a guy had the same thoughts I was having, and raised his BH up past the 9 inches. His bow shot great, and got alot quieter.

So I moved mine up to 9.25 and it was quieter, then 9.5 and WOW........still shot great, didn't move my impact that much, but oh man, it is ever a much quieter bow.

So many variables go into the setup, shooter form, release, and so on. I keep my widow braced at 9.5 now, a full half inch higher than they recommend, but hey, it is what it is, and it works great for me. I dont think I lost any measurable speed either. The arrow seems to be flying just as sweet, and just as fast.

Just my experience.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Spike:
Well, I will see about testing my bow on the Easton mapper this weekend, it gets data every 0.10 inch of draw. I will test at 6.5" brace and 7.5" brace.
Till then guess I should twist up to 20" brace and shoot telephonepoles. :-)
Spike, your an engineer, just use your hanson and carefully take data and you can make a mathcad or matlab routine to do the calculation licked split.

Offline Spike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
The shop owner is at the IBO worlds this week so it will be next week to get the data. Can't get the necessary accuracy using the Hanson. The mapper I have used before gets a nice smooth curve with no hysterisis effects until you do the letdown part of curve if you draw nice and smooth.With the hanson as someone pulls it to the mark you may get some bouncing around and a reading showing the hysterisis giving you scatter, plus hanson is only 1# increments so good to 1/2 # at best. I will follow thru with this as I now NEED to KNOW.
Big Jim TC 56" 53#@29"
Live Free or Die!

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
**Disclaimer**

IBO hillbilly, and I heard the Hanson bros sing once. I got me a map, but no mapper. Do have a wife with some nice, smooth curves and a lot of hysterisis. Draw Force Curves are completely applicable to cast iron skillets. I ain't no engineer, but I can spot other peoples' typos lickity split!

My experience has shown me that a higher brace has the effect of weakening an arrow. Lower brace height has the effect of making an arrow stiffer.
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
AAArrrrggggghhhhh!!!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline foxchef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
I just twisty or un-twisty the string until the arrows fly where I need them to go. But then again what do I know? I'm just a cook!

:bigsmyl:
Luck is preparedness meeting opportunity and opportunity is always present! -Earl Nightengale

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
One other thing...it  really  helps understanding
all this if you're cross-eyed and dyslectic  :p  

Hell, throw in the plaid boxers too [grin]
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline newtradgreenwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
Simple explanation.  No complex physics, mathmatics or gadgets few of us have. Start with 10 lb draw weight bow with 5 inch power stroke.  

10 lb bow with 5 inches of pushing (stroke).
Total power = 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 = 50 lbs.
Max thrust at release = 10 lbs.

Raise BH, which increases draw weight & decreases power stroke (11 lb bow with 4 inch stroke).
Total power = 11 + 11 + 11 + 11 = 44 lbs.
Max thrust at release = 11 lbs.

Lower BH, which decrease draw weight & increases power stroke length(9 lb bow, 6 inch push).
Total power 9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 9 = 54 lbs.
Max thrust at release 9 lbs.

The arrow bends the most at release and then continues to bend less & less as it is leaving the bow.  Higher draw weight from higher brace slams the arrow more at release and makes the arrow react weaker.  

Lower brace height slams the arrow with less thrust upon release and makes the arrow react stiffer.  But, while the lower BH pushes the arrow with a lower initial thrust, it pushes it longer so it leaves the bow faster.

Offline biglegmax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
I remember it this way, for a right handed shooter, LOWER/LEFT...lower  the brace, the arrow goes left. Just remember VIPER never gets it wrong....

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
Jim,
back to your original question,
In my experience with my bows, when I have an arrow that's showing weak, I lower my brace height.
When I have an arrow that's showing too stiff, I raise my brace height until the bare shaft flies/groups correctly.

hope this helps,
sammy

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
And what about the fact that since the arrow is on the string longer with a lower fistmele, it has moved farther to the left for a right-handed shooter by the time it clears the string, but which also keeps the nock end of the arrow from moving freely during the second half of the paradox, keeping it closer to the riser and requiring less actual spine to compensate?

I made that up all by myself! I'll be quiet now.

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
the greatest effect changeing brace height has for me is,it helps me find the sweet spot on a given bow ,and shoots the quiest,smoothest,and most consistant,with what ever weight and spined arrow i am shooting at the moment,out to a minimum,maximum distance.regards,robert  :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
What's raising or lowering brace height got to do with hitting one's hat? That happens because the bow is drawn back to an anchor where the string touches the hat. Nothing to do with brace height. I shoot several bows with different brace heights and at full draw I still touch my hat brim, I can't shoot with a ball cap without twisting it around because of that.  If you are to reach that particular anchor point your going to draw that far back regardless.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
:coffee:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©