3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: waterproofing feather vanes  (Read 392 times)

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
waterproofing feather vanes
« on: August 13, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
I'll be trying real feather vanes on my 5 day elk hunt this year in Western Wa.I've tried spraying them with "camp-dry" and it was ok for awhile but then just seemed to matt.Any suggestions?I'd like to carry as little as possible because it's a backpack hunt.Tim

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: waterproofing feather vanes
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
I have had pretty good luck with the silicone spray they sell for dry fly fishermen. I just dust the fletching a few times and they are good in a light rain for a while. For a five day hunt I would invest in a cat quiver as they protect your fletching from the rain,snow etc. not to mention the pack will hold darn near everything your going to need during the day.

Offline jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
Baby bottle liners. Slide um over your shaft, glue on b-head and go. When a shot looks to be ariseing just pull it of the nock end. Quiet and always, ALWAYS, keeps the water off your feathers even in thick brush

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 02:22:00 AM »
Baby bottle liners. Pull them on over the nock end and punch the nock through the liner. Leave them on to shoot. They will fall to your feet at the shot. Quiet and if it takes a while for the shot to come about, your feathers will be dry. Pick up liner after shot. Hap

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »
If you can find some fletch a few arrows with goose feathers. If not, the best I have used is the silicone that is used for waterproofing tent seams. It comes in a spray can, smells bad when you put it on but the smell goes away in about a day.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
Tire shine stuff-stinks like cherries for a while but no odor when dry. Lasts indefinitely.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
Words os advice, if you use fletch tape stay away from spray on silicone. It turns fletch tape glue to liquid.
hunt it

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
i have tried scotch gaurd but i cant swear by it as the sun always follows me and i've never hunted in the rain   :rolleyes:    :D    :rolleyes:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 01:09:00 AM »
Elkherder, either you have moved or are hunting in a different state than we both live in.  Come late season we all get wet.  I am going to spray different arrows with different things to see which ones work.   Huntryx, was it a light spray of tire shine or did you douse them good?
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 02:02:00 AM »
lol.......i'm used to the rain...rains to much here but better to much than not enough i guess...scotchgaurd works pretty well if you stay on top of it
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
A word of caution with Scotch Guard. Test out on your nocks before spraying all. I had a quiver full of nocks fall apart at a 3d once after spraying. Sure was a surprise.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
Helmsman Spar Urethane in a can but don't spray on too much!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©