3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Clicker for treestand hunting  (Read 1053 times)

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Clicker for treestand hunting
« on: August 13, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
Who here uses a clicker for tree stand hunting?  I tend to short draw in the tree.  Thinking it would help me.  I ordered one, but comes with a chain like you put your keys on.

I am wondering if it makes alot of noise when shot?  I was thinking of using some heavy D-loop material like compounders use on D-loops?

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Clicker for treestand hunting
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
I used clickers for a couple years and experimented with drawing and "clicking" with deer below.  I had none of them react to the "click".  

Yes, replace the chain with some small cord since you may have some scratching of your limbs and extra noise with the chain.
Lon Scott

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
I do exactly what you're planning to do.....use a length of D-loop string. Slide the string up your bowstring to lengthen your draw or down shorten your draw. That chain is annoying!

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
Well, I put it on.  But it makes a ton of noise.  Also, maybe because its new, but I am concentrating on the click and not other important things like grip and release, etc.  I play around with it, but as of now, I am not sure I want that much added noise.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
I use clickers on all my bows to control my short drawing and just use some padding on the metal clicker and you can eliminate as much noise as possible, even make it silent.  Mine I are very quiet and I more or less feel it more then hear it.  No problem with hunting!  Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
I don't think its the clicker making noise but the D-loop cable.

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
i also use clickers on all my bows. i use d- loop string and put moleskin on both sides of the clicker.....no deer or hog has ever made notice of them going off. i also tie the clicker on the string and put serving above and below, so i can always be able to twist up my bowstring if needed, without having to undo the clicker.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
I've shot my clickers for 17 years...no problems out of a treestand. I just set one up for my new Silvertip. I put velcro on the clicker part (both sides) it made the clicker almost completely silent. I removed it from one side, now it has just a soft muffled click.

BMB has a great tip on tying the clicker cord to the bowstring. I think I'll try it when my new bow arrives in a couple days.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
Been using one 12 years.  

I altered mine as well:  it is almost impossible to hear it click- I go by feel. I actually have small dia. nylon cord tied in a loop.  I put the loop through the clicker hole, then back through making a 1.5" loop to attach to.  I attach this loop to a heavier round boot shoelace which then attaches to the bow string.  The shoe lace does not get tangled and I can just slip the larger lace between strands of my string and it holds fine.

Has been great for me out of a tree-stand and when it is cold; keeps my draw consistent.  

Good luck.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
I run the clicker cord between the string strands where it's pointing away from the bow, and then make a knot in it so it rests against the string.
 Then I serve above and below it to keep it in place and this makes for very easy adjustment of the clicker length and to the bows brace height.

I used to quiten down the clicker, now I just leave it as is. The animals I've killed didn't seem to mind the noise :^)

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
Your not Traditional if you use a clicker.......

Using a clicker is cheating........

How do you shoot with that thing.....

I would never use a clicker.......

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
KWB,

With all the stalking you do, doesn't that long clicker string drive you crazy?  I tried that for a while but moved it way up the limb to minimize the amount of cord I hand hanging out there to get caught.  I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

BTW, I  LOVE the clicker...it is a mental thing for my; I like knowing I've made it to the exact same length of my powerstroke every time.  I ditch the chain and put moleskin on it to quiet it down for hunting.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
Hi SteveO, how are you my friend?

Yes, you are wright it did get hung up, I have moved the string way down the bottom limb, and I use 40lb salt water fishing line, I have yet to have it get hung up.

If you put the string about 8-10 " from the bottom  limb, as you draw the limb comes up, yet is still at a good angle to pull the clicker with the least amount of string.

I use Velcro on mine to make it silent, just a light bum lets me know I am at the exact draw and it's time to launch the missile.

If you short draw 1/2" your perfectly tuned arrow, is now to stiff and jumps off the rest, if you get exited and crank it back an extra 1/2" your arrow is now weak and fishtails out of your bow giving horrible penetration.

That longbow pic is a long time ago, I had hair then.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
All is well here in hot, humid Michigan...

I know the clicker people warn against moving it down the limb, but I have noticed NO problems with that, only benefits.  I put mine up top thinking it will keep it out of most of the brush.

I also use 90# Spiderwire many times, sometimes release rope...anything low/no stretch.

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
this is my first season with the clicker as well.  i have been shooting it since the end of last season and i can tell a difference in my shooting.  it has helped.  i played with the tang on my clicker to quieten it down.  i took a pair of pliars and squeezed the tang a little and it is a lot quieter now.  i have a clickety click on my predator and when my new bow from big jim gets here i wil try a cricket clicker.  i catch a lot of crap from a lot of people about it, but its what helps me, so that is what i will use.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
Fountain--take a look at how much arrow is sticking out in front of the bow on those guys giving you guff.  Most often I just smile when I see 3-4" as I expect from them; one of my favorite sayings is:

"Consider the source"

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
How many shooters, shoot with a clicker in the OLYMPICS?...... let me guess.... 100%...... I wounder why..... could it be they are the best shots in the world..... why don't they just, yank it back and cut it loose.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
I wonder if I played with the location the clicker might be quieter?  That D-loop material is making the noise.  Not the clicker.  Maybe spiderwire would be better.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
I did change from bottom limb to top limb mounting since the string would get hung on my quiver arrow gripper sometimes, but the string is really not a problem walking thru brush, most of the time.  I removed as much chain as possible and used some peep tubing to cover the remaining chain with.  I also tie up my clicker with some braided spectra string and it is not loud at all on the bow.  Good luck!
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Barry Winner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
Hey Big - I use braided dacron bowfishing line on my clicker and it is nice and quiet.  No chain!
HH Tembo [email protected]
HH Cheetah [email protected]
Martin Savannah [email protected]
Trying to build selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of MD
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©