3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Padding strings for bare fingers?  (Read 501 times)

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
Padding strings for bare fingers?
« on: August 13, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
I and a friend have been shooting bare fingers quite a bit, do pretty good. I had heard on some videos and here and there about padding the serving for shooting bare fingers, anyone know with what, B-50, or wool yarn, or whatever. Any and all feedback appreciated. Sam.
samuel koger

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Padding strings for bare fingers?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
I have a pair of the old No Gloves that work well for that.  3Rivers carrys them now, and they are a sponsor here. I don't know why wool yardn wouldn't work.    http://www.3riversarchery.com/No-Glove++Finger+Savers_i5402_baseitem.html

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
i do it  would break down after a while and if wet will not hold its shape and sag and become loose.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
You'll be adding a lot of weight to the string in a crucial point--you'll loose a good bit of performance.

Chad

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
LBR, I doubt it would do too much, or at least I would have to be shown the difference on a chrono or impact point.  Doug Chase has used them (NoGlove) for decades, and shoots very well with them, not to mention all the critters he has taken.  I agree with your signature though, "One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions."  Reckon that's what we need here.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
Not sure there's a real good way to do it with making it too thick that'll reduce a little performance, and not give a crisp release.

I've also heard that it's not good for your finger over time......
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
I shoot great bare fingered but don't do it because when it's really cold out it hurts so bad you will cry.
Tom

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »
I have shot this way for over 20 years, with an occasional tab or glove time. My reason is, I don't have to remember the glove or tab. In the fall or winter, I will use a jersey glove, and this past season, used a mechanix style glove from Dollar General. Really thin leather. I know some shooters who will double serve, but I don't. And I do alot of bowfishing also, so no wet glove or tab. I used a No-glove in my earlier years, on my Bear Kodiak. They're ok. We all have to find what works for us! Good shooting Steve

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
i guess the Indians must of had tough fingers.  ;)
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
I'll go with Chad on this- added weight in the middle of the string is the worst place. You will rob energy from your arrow.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Roger Rothar triple serves his strings and shoots bare fingered.  I just triple served my strings, but haven't tried them yet.  If Roger has been doin' it for all these years it must not affect much.

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 03:57:00 AM »
I use a piece of the tubing for a peep sight on a wheelie on my serving on my bow fishing bow and it works pretty well. I still use a glove on my other bows though.
Denny

Offline Lindsay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 07:09:00 AM »
I triple serve but still wear a glove, just finds it gives me a cleaner release.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »
Ok, here's how we do it.  Using 2 brass nocking points - nocking the arrow between them - be sure to leave a bit of room so you don't pinch your nock when you draw the bow - ie when the arrow is nocked between the nocking points there should be slight up/down play - like 1/64 inch - enough to barely feel it.  Now starting a couple inches above the top nocking point serve down to it then back up, serving under to capture the end of serve - these 2 layers over the original serving on the string make the triple serve.  Do the same underneath your bottom nocking point, of course this triple needs to be a bit longer (assuming split finger draw) than the top one.  I only use a very light tab if I'm planning on shooting alot (say 100 arrows in a day) otherwise all bare fingered for me since I started shooting a bow at probably 3 yrs old over 30 years ago.

You'll build a callous - I could probably put a match out on my right ring finger without feeling it - but hey, no pain, no gain!

I've never seen over 2 fps speed loss due to triple serve, and I think for practical hunting purposes the ease and simplicity much overwhelms some minimal loss of "performance".  I get a big kick out of guys worrying about things that are less variable than humanly possible - go shoot 50 arrows through a chrony and if you get less than 2 fps variability you better quit your day job and become a full time professional target archer!

Ryan

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
I haven't done any tests myself.  I base my thoughts on some tests a friend did with a compound bow several years ago, where an extra brass nockset showed about 2 fps speed loss.

If you are the type that's dropping to a minimal strand count to get everything you can from your bow, it's a legitamate concern.

The bigger concern, to me, is nerve damage.  Every so often someone will post about loosing the feeling in their finger.  Obviously some folks can get away with it, just like some folks can get away with shooting extrememly heavy bows all their lives, but most of us will pay for it sooner or later.

Chad

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
I understand your concern Chad. But living and working as we do, Is the big risk for nerve damage. Having cut meat, welding, holding a hot stinger, grinding, hammers and all for over 25 years, and that just the day job! Now add twisting 1,000s of flemish strings, carpul tunnel is more of an issue. I have woke in the night with numb and pain from my hands to my elbows. Now that I'm unemployed, my hands and arms have had a rest of sorts. I feel like I did in my 20's.

My point is bare finger works for some of us, and my whole reasoning is simplicity. That's what real archery is for me! The great thing is if someone wants to try it, there's awhole lot of help on here, and alot of ways of doing it!

Fast flight strings, single serving, tied on nock set, bare fingers 55-60 lb bows, and no callouses! Good shootin, Steve

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
I had my ring finger go numb for a day by just drawing back a 50 pound bow with my fingers.  Just gripped a little wrong I suppose, but do what you want....it's your fingers.  I'll stick to my tabs and gloves.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 12:43:00 AM »
I've used a no-glove type set up for over 20 years now. Don't notice any performance issues. Last few years I use a piece of peep sight tubing under my nock point. I shoot 3 under. I cut a piece about 3" long, use a hair pin to pull the string thru,(holding the pin with a pliars) smear a bit of watered down dish soap or spit on your string, slide the tubing on. Never have to worry about forgetting my tab or glove somewhere. Good Luck!
Speed don't kill anyhow.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©