3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spine question?  (Read 596 times)

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Spine question?
« on: March 30, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
Just want to know if anyone else has experienced the same shaft being able to be shot from a bow with 4 different lengths and 3 different point weights.

Basically I can group some CX 150's that are 28 1/2" to 27" in half inch increments. I have 8 shafts 2 at each length with a regular insert and a 100 gr. brass insert. I have only been using 125 gr field points but all these shafts group in a 2" by 2" black diamond at 10 yards.

I have only been shooting in the house so 10 yards is all I can get.

The bows I have be using are 40# and 45# @ 26". Both of these bows also shoot AD trad lites @ 27" with a 75 gr brass insert and 125 gr point really well. I was told more than once that these arrows would be too stiff but they are working for me.

Chris

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spine question?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
How are they fletched?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
How do they group compared bareshaft to fletched shafts?  1 1/2" that is a lot of change in spine on a carbon.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
They are all para 3 fletch. I am going to change them to naner 4 fletch. I just got these and decided to mess around with them a little tonight.

I do not bare shaft tune. Never have liked it.

Chris

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
hey chris what sort of bow you shoot recurve or long bow
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »
Jeff,

I shoot both, but both of the bows that I have been shooting the CX's out of are recurves. I have not got around to trying them out of my longbow yet.

Chris

Offline Turpentine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 12:50:00 AM »
CLS It's most likely got to do with the amount of centershot for the two bows.  Once you get past ten yards however, those arrows most likely will show some variance in point of impact.
I'm with you on the bareshafting, I've never liked it.  I tune with fletched arrows and broadheads.  I also practice with broadheads and rarely ever shoot field points. All of my hunting arrows, especially woodies, have been individually shot and tuned to my bow.  My last batch of Sitka spruce varied in finished length up to 1.25 inches in order to get good flight and same point of impact with brand new Zwickey Eskimos.  There must have been alot of variance in the spine even though they were supposed to be 65-69# range.
I guess I would try bareshafting if I had to start from scratch with carbons.  I'm sure it works.  I'm just hard headed and prefer my own method.
Turpentine
56# Black Widow MA II
65# Black Widow MA II
57# Homemade Longbow

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 11:46:00 AM »
CLS:
I'm with Turpentine on this one. I would guess your bow is cut past center, one of the advantages of this type bow is it allows you to shoot a wide range of spines. Once you reach the minimum spine needed for that bow, you can usually go over spine by 50-60 pounds and not see a difference in fletched arrows. I have one client shooting shafts that are spined 120# from a 74# bow. Where guys will run into problems is using very small diameter shafts in this type of bow. What happens is the center of the shaft ends up being past center of the limb center line, in that case just place something behind the strike plate to move the shaft over to center or less than center.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. I found another post were this exact same thing was said.

I did finally shoot the shafts off of my longbow, which is not cut to or past center, and the shafts were way over spined.

I am headed to the range right now with all the shafts to see what they are doing at longer ranges.

Thanks again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©