3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question on carbons  (Read 567 times)

Offline Ghille

• Trad Bowhunter
Question on carbons
« on: March 30, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
Hello everyone!

I've been reading posts here for sometime, and just joined the other day. Wanted to wish Ron a happy belated birthday, but had to get off the 'puter B4 for I could. (Happy belated Ron!)

I'm just getting back to my roots after many years, wanted to try some carbons in my longbow. I'm shoot 55#, FF string. Had read (I believe here) that one should add 10# when using FF string. Anyway, to make a short story long. I picked up 6 Black Hawk Vapor Pro Black Whitetail's 4000 (55-70#). I fletched 3 of them, and set one up to bare shaft tune (I left of of them @31" with 125 field tips), anyway, the all kicked to the right (I shoot left handed - righty w/left eye thing going on) with the bare one being the worst. I will most likely pick up six of the 3000 (50-55#) tomorrow.

Now my question for all you more knowledgeable people, how much weight do you believe I should add (using the GT screw-in weights) to regain a truer flight.

Thanks in advance,
Larry Gilchrist

1Jo 2:6 NASB  the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question on carbons
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
Ghille... When you shoot the bare shaft along with the fletched shafts do they all go to the same spot? That's the best way to tell if they are close to the right spine.

Go to the vendors page and look up O.L.Adcock and go to his website. His tuning instructions will have your arrows shooting great in no time.

Most likely the shafts are very stiff and will need more point weight... either brass inserts in the shaft end or steel adapters in your feild points.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 12:15:00 AM »
I draw 28' and I find that carbons shoot stiffer especially out of my longbow. I have been shooting 29" Terminater Hunter 45-60's with 100 gr. inserts and 125 gr. points. These fly and group great. Before adding the inserts, I was shooting left and I am a righty. As you can see, my longbow is a 55# Mahaska.

BTW, they fly great from my 49# Herters recurve and my daughter's 45# Black Bear recurve as well.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Ghille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 07:33:00 AM »
Thanks guys!

Charlie...Yes, the do hit in same area. In fact, after shooting the bare shaft, I followed the shot with one of the fletched arrows and slid it against the first. My thoughts were "great! Two shots and I've already ruined an arrow," but that wasn't the case.
Larry Gilchrist

1Jo 2:6 NASB  the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
Larry... here's a link to O.L's webpage on bow tuning.
  bow tuning web page  
 Read it carefully and apply what it says. You'll be golden if you do.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Ghille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 12:26:00 AM »
Thank you Charlie,

Lots of great info here. Not only will I use it, I'll pass it along.
Larry Gilchrist

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 03:26:00 AM »
Larry, with the 3000s, if the bow is not cut past center, I would say you would need from 175 to 225 up front for good flight. You will have to experiment some . Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©