3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "SNUFFER" Sharpening ?  (Read 1559 times)

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
"SNUFFER" Sharpening ?
« on: August 14, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
Any of you sharpen your Snuffers the way it decribes it on the back of the package, with a 14'' Mill Bastard File ? Thank You ...

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "SNUFFER" Sharpening ?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
yup. and then I polish with a stone

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
i used to do it the hard way now i use a snuffer tamer kit...works fantastic...changes the degree of edge and makes them very sharp...after i am done i harden them and they are pretty much gonna take a hit into any bone and not be phased.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Grabwad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
How do you harden them?

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
I use a 10 mil bastard file, 25-30 strokes per side then finish them up on a ceramic stick. Nice and sharp....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
No, I just sharpened some up for my trip to WY for antelope next week.  I clamp a big aggressive 14 inch file to the bench and run the head lengthwise along it about 30 or 40 times per side to set an edge, then use a fine diamond stone then a ceramic stick then strop it on cardboard.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
I just use a 6"mill bastard file and ever lighter pressure, they pop hair easy and really lay down a blood trail.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
hardening is done several different ways...easiest is heat the b/h until its slighty glowing then dip it in oil...thats the easiest way.you can grind a head all day on a milling file and it still doesnt change the angle of the bevel which is the only way i have found to work in getting them razor sharp.i used to think they were sharp with the milling bastard until i was told about the snuffer tamer
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
Snuffer Tamer is the easiest way to sharpen them. Been using one since it's conception and they work great. And I'm challenged when it comes to sharpening.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »
Elkherder, I think you have harding and softing mixed up.  I once ran into a batch of very hard MA-3's.  YOU couldn't cut them with a mill basterd file.  I heated them up and then I could sharpen them.  

I'd like to hear someone else comment on your idea.  I think your detempering the metal.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
heating then rapid cooling hardens steel.....google it

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 12:23:00 AM »
google up flame hardening bow

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 06:28:00 AM »
Not to get away from the real question here, but is this tamer the two files on a board with pre-set angles? Yes, I use a 14" file then use a stone or a diamond file then use a leather strap for  hair popping sharpness.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
If you file by hand, which I do, Just count your strokes and keep using less pressure and fewer strokes each round. I take a swipe or two down each side with a ceramic stick, just to remove any micro burr when done.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
anchorman,
yes it's the two files on a board, it's made by truangle.

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
smallwood,

I thought that is what is was, the only problem I have with that is after awhile it leaves the point area shaped differently...

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
specify what you mean by shaped differently

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
Communicating with Mike Sohm of Magnus....he'll tell you not to use the Tamer as it weakens the tips.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
the tamer is the only way to get them razor sharp then you harden them a bit and you're set...i'd like an explanation as to how the tamer weakens the tip any differently than using a file on it.???????

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
:biglaugh:    

The Snuffer Tamer is NOT the only way to get a Snuffer or for that matter any 3 blade sharp.

It is best not to deal in absolutes, there are PLENTY of people that can get a 3 blade razor sharp and there are many methods.  

SOME people  THINK they are not razor sharp for 2 reasons:

1.  You can't hold a 3 blade at the same angle you can a 2 blade to shave hair off your arm.

2.  The 30 degree angle that is built into the "standard" sharpening method of the Snuffer is much "thicker" than the 22 1/2 degree angle the snuffer tamer changes it to.  This is also  similar to the edge of the two blades that people think are so sharp.  The 30 degree angle is much tougher and more durable that a more acute angle.  A razor is a razor and just because a thinner angle "feels" sharper does not make it so.

I use a bench grinder on my 3 blades, remove the burr with a course stone, and then polish with a fine stone and cardboard for a razor edge.

The guy that DESIGNED and originally built the Snuffer wanted a tough, durable razor edge; I'd like to see you tell him the Snuffer Tamer was the only way to go     :eek:    

The Snuffer Tamer cuts into the copper brazing and weakens the tip...you might want to give the people that make them a call and ask what THEY think of the Snuffer Tamer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©