3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "SNUFFER" Sharpening ?  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "SNUFFER" Sharpening ?
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
Steve O   :thumbsup:
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
Mr Snuffer used a stone and file...  :thumbsup:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
Joe,

You know how Roger is...

This is what he has found works best nowadays if anybody is interested in some "other" method of sharpening a 3 blade to a razor edge:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=031172

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
Snuffer tamer has never weakend any of my heads.  :bigsmyl:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
you can grind away with your files and all...been there done that...the tamer holds the angle as you stroke the b/h back and forth.i think i'll deal with a slightly thinner blade than one that wont shave hair off my arm....not all of us can spend 8 hours sharpening b/h's...my money is on the tamer.....
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Ha-lay-luya SteveO     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:

Excellent post buddy!!

As far as hardening......sounds to me like you're messing with the temper unnecessarily    :confused:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
i am messing with it for sure...making it harder...better...i can shoot mine through a 55 gallon steel drum and a few strokes later shes good as new.nothing wrong with improving a good product far as i know....think its called progress eh
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »
I agree that the tamer is not the ONLY way to get them razor sharp. Charlie Lamb has a pretty good system as well. But Steve, there is nothing wrong with the tamer. I have used it for alot of years and it has not failed me yet. Frankly, I could care less what happens to the broadhead after it goes through my game. As long as it stays together until the work is done. Other than the occasional rock that I may hit after pass thru, the tip on my snuffers has never failed. But maybe I have the super strong Snuffers!!!  :bigsmyl:  

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 12:23:00 AM »
Elkherder..if I remember right that while sharpening the head on the "tamer" it doesn't get to th epoint with the rest of the head and leaves it somewhat at a different shape like putting a grove in the blade. I have used a file and stones or even just a file and leather for years now I can guarantee that if they don't shave hair on all three blades they aren't in my quiver. Maybe I am lucky and have gotten easy heads to sharpen but I have no problem with getting them sharp with just the file and stones...

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 04:03:00 AM »
i tried sharpening them with files etc for a while but was never satisfied with the sharpness as it wouldnt pass the rubber band test i use on all my broadheads....possible i wasnt doing it correctly i guess but i still stick with the tamer kit...i see no change in the tip at all using the tamer,i hold the b/h up towards the point on some of the rotations...then i harden them and look out man they are lethal...i am also messing around with serrations on the back half of the blades gonna try that out soon

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
Different stokes for different folks.   :goldtooth:
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
yup

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
I guess you meant "strokes"...    :)  

The different Stokes.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 12:39:00 AM »
haha....stokes...lol....sounds like some willie nelson stuff goin on man

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 02:30:00 AM »
I think I've tried everything suggested to me. From files and stones...PVC pipe w/sandpaper. The Tamer... Just can't get the things to the sharpness I like... Finally just gave up. The Magnus 1 with 4 blades I bet will make just as big a hole and I can get them hair poppin sharp in no time. Those of you that can get them sharp are really blessed. They look like they will do the job well.
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
Wow the tamer is very easy to get hair poppin sharp .I think i might have to make a viedo on how to use.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
Steve O.......bench grinder? Are you holding the head perpendicular to wheel at the top?

Roger is hollow grinding his heads. It's steeper blade angle than 30 degrees..it may be steeper than Snuffer Tamer (less than 24 degrees).

I "soften" my heads with a torch so my files remove more stock quicker if they initially skipp across the files.

A snuffer tamer used improperly could damage a head But not as quick as a 6 inch Grinder used improperly.  LIGHT PRESSURE on any method
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
I have tried the single file drawing it to you eventually getting lighter strokes each time. Then used the wet stone and finally leather strop.
Couldn't get them to shave. Cut rubber bands but not shave.
Then I tried the grinder, two edges at a time like the pics steve O posted. I hit each of the three sides twice (two blades at a time) then each side once lightly. Then two light strokes on the crock stick and they would easily shave hair.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
long as it works

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
Joey--I am the face man--remember   ;)    There are pictures in that link...

Yes, I know it is hollow grinding and it is making a steeper angle.  It can be done flat too, that I am sure of.

My points were:

1.  This is really the MAIN point...The Snuffer Tamer is NOT, as was stated earlier, the ONLY way to sharpen a Snuffer or any other 3 blade razor sharp.

2.  Ryan posted the way the Rothaarr's sharpen their Snuffers.  To me, this is valuable information and I prefer to do it the way they do it because I know they have tried EVERYTHING and that way works best.

3.  Mike Sohm  vehemently opposes the use of the Snuffer Tamer--I bet it voids the lifetime warrantee--so I stay away from it.  You guys use whatever you want--just don't tell ME that the ONE tool the manufacturer of the broadhead says should NOT be used on his broadhead is the  "ONLY" way to sharpen it!

4.  Snuffer Tamer guys; take your hair poppin' blades and turn them an extra 15 degrees to put them back to the same angle as the standard flat sharpened Snuffer and see if they still pop the hair the same.  AND two blade guys...take your super sharp thin fragile edge and rotate it to the 60 degree angle that the 3 blade has to have when dragged across your arm and see if they pop hair the same way as they do when you have them turned at a right angle to the hair like you would typically do to give your blade the best advantage...without that 3rd blade getting in the way.

I don't have time to draw pictures, but I know I am right   :D  .  Think about it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©