3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String breaking. I need suggestions.  (Read 587 times)

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
String breaking. I need suggestions.
« on: August 14, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
I am having problems with strings breaking at  the nocking point.
 I am using F/F 14 strands, flemish twist. 54# bow. Serving is not wearing, the sting is breaking under the serving without warning. Once while the bow was set aside. Twice upon release.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String breaking. I need suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
Forgot to add I am using tie on nock ppoints.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
Do you make your own strings?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
No way that should be happening. Who made the strings?

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Focusource

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
Are your arrow nocks super tight on the string?  Perhaps the nocks could be pinching the strings to death.  Filing the inside of the nocks or expanding them with hot water could do the trick.
TradTech Pinnacle II riser, 50# BlackMax limbs

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Dry rotted material ? If it is not the tight nocks..
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
Strings breaking at the nocking point is called a compression failure....caused by too tight string nocks,serving or as mentioned waay too tight arrow nocks...which is rare.

With Dyneema the most widely used string material, compression failures are rare....but with the old FF,and blended materials (450, 452, ultracam) it does occur.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
I am making my own strings, never had the problem with Dacron only the F/F. Nocks are not tight. Also have used different spoons of string material. I am going to try loosening serving, if the problem still occurs I will try another material.

Thanks for your input guys.

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
What material are you using for serving?

How tightly do you wind it?

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
Been using BCY 62 .025 or.018. Serving didn't seem tight to me, But I am probably wrong. Made up a new string Sat. using Spectra F/F .018,
loosened the serving tool and nocks are not tight.

I think there may be a possibilty I am shooting this bow to much without changing the string and that may be causing the problem. I have made strings for other bows and my friends without any bad results. I'll keep everyone posted on how this one works out.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
I would switch to d-97 and not look back myself.For that many breaks there is something wrong with the materials you are useing.Ditch it and get new material. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
You might have a bur on your serving jig that's cutting the material.

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
James you seem to make the most sense. I am going to take your advice and get new material.

I'll use the old stuff for tying nock points,etc.,etc. Better safe then sorry. Thanks for helping me come to my senses. I probably would have given the same advice if someone had asked me. Sometimes I get brain freeze.

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
When you serve the string, how many wraps do you use to cover the tag end before cutting it off? I had a friend that would wrap about 30 times and cut the excess off. On occasion he would nick the string and wrap over it unknowing. On a 14 or 16 strand string you can get away with a little nick but not on a skinny string.

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
12 to 14 wraps, Tag end is nowhere near the nocking point its breaking at. Also when I cut the tag end I move the string not the razor blade or knife. Learned that from wrapping fishing rods.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Black Velvet, I went back and read thru the post and replys. At 12:11 pm you said you think your shooting this bow too much! How much how long has this string been on the bow?

Like was said earlier by Rod, could be a compression break. Someone posted this back awhile ago, where the string broke under the nock, under the serving! This will happen on a highly shot bow with the F.F. materials.

Imagine the string angle on the nock over several shots. It's like bending a piece of metal wire back and forth until the metal fatigues to the point of breaking!

You did'nt say how old the string was and also the length of the bow and your draw length? Something to consider! D-97 with the same treatment may have the same results. I've seen it. Good shootin, Steve

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
Frank,I shoot this bow about every other day. And average 300 to 400 arrows a day.

The bow is 60inches and I draw 26inches. I usually change the string just before hunting season, but I am going to change the string more often, aside from buying new string material.

Keep em sharp...........Carl

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
I had this problem once. I asked for solutions on one of the early Internet sites. Dan Quillian piped up and said I was shooting too light an arrow and essentially dry firing my bow.

Much younger and dumber 18 years ago I thought"you old goat what do you know, I have been shooting for 25 years and know a lot about archery". I was shooting 2114s out of a 70# Bighorn bow at the time.

After breaking a few more strings I tried some much heavier 2018s, strange, no more string breaking, ever.

Mr Dan knew what he was talking about and I was the only one with a goat head. Lesson learned, I listen to my elders now. They paid their dues and have a vast knowledge base to offer advice from.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
I'd suggest since you never had the problem with dacron to stick with it.  I've never had a problem with it either.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©