3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting deer  (Read 396 times)

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
hunting deer
« on: August 14, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
Should I use any type of call the early part of the season and if so what sound should I use, Last year i used a grunt call and saw alot of deer early in the morning. But then Some days I would not use one and still see a few deer!! Thanks  :)
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting deer
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Early season I want to kill does.. I have used with great results a "contact" call... Woods Wise used to make this call. It tells the other deer that "I am lost, come find me"... I have had many old nanny does come in calling back to me.  When you hear them calling back put your call away and just be silent,, they will keep coming..

John3
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
I want to kill does too early on, would a fawn bleat work , I have one but it really makes a weird sound, to me, and am a little bit aprehensive when useing it. any other advice would help, thanks  :)
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline bigbuckmalik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
Depending on how early your seaon comes in. Here in PA if you'd go out now and bleat you have a good chance of havin a doe bout run you over. But our season comes in early oct. and i've never had much luck with it during the season. It sounds like you might scare off every deer around but you would be surprised. I remember years ago watchin the Will Primos wailin on a bleat call, so of course i had to try it out.

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
Our season starts at the end of sept , sept 26th to be exact! So I might give it a try, or not! Thanks  :)

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
Try the bleat.  Worst case, you don't get a deer - it's no biggie.  They're fun to mess with and you mind find that you also get a chance to play with coyotes or something like that.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 12:44:00 AM »
Ive called in alot of bucks and does with the Primos Can. I swear by this thing I called a buck in 3 years ago and missed him at 14 yards. I was 20ft in a tree and hit The Can again and he almost came in for another shot. If he wasnt behind my stand I could have had a clean shot.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
Fawn calls are pretty effective in the early season. If you use one be very still. When Flossy comes in looking for the fawn she will be on point!!!
  I was sitting with my back against a large oak tree once, blowing on a fawn call. After about 30 minutes I got frustrated and turned my head to look around. Flossy was right behind me and I never heard her but when she saw my movement she blew a warning and I could feel her blow on the back of my head....the sneaky old thing!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KENDALL TECHAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
Pat B, Great story !! The big old doe is the smartest deer in the herd.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©