3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The ultimate hunting ATV?  (Read 754 times)

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The ultimate hunting ATV?
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
Dave,

I've thought about this project for years too.  Bought the pirogue kit from Uncle Johns and it's in the basement waiting for some motivation.  Still might get it rolling on some of these cold winter days when I can't hunt.

I agree with what you said about craftsmanship.  I really like the idea of making my own, even if it might cost more (my wife says my labor is worth a lot more than I would charge myself).  

Two things right now are holding me back.  1.  I hunt dry land.  No reason to have a boat for hunting and I don't fish much any more.    :confused:    2.  I CAN'T SWIM!!!!!    :eek:    Four plus years in the USMC and I "swim qualified", but I'm not at all comfortable in the water.  I'd have to wear a PFD and so I haven't made the jump yet.

There is some public land near here that would be really good to have a boat for.  Maybe some day I'll get the project going and finish it up.

Oh, and by the way, one of the additions I thought about for the pirogue was to put together a "strap on" axle with some tall (like 15") lawn mower wheels to make portages/launching easier.  Make them collapsible then just throw them in the boat when you don't need them.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
Yeah Dave I looked at the link - am ordering the kit from them today - I think O will go with the fourth rib (wider bottom as well) will be a fun project in the garage! Thanks for the idea.

Also will be good deal to get the daughter out chasin bull bream and catfish this fall.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Online boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
Hey Dave,
I hear you loud and clear on the appeal of building your own boat. For a while I was building one every winter, just for the fun of the project. And of course this all falls in line with why we are all on this forum for TRADITIONAL archery, celebrating the unique challenges and character of lower tech, more hands-on equipment, some folks building their own gear from scratch.
It's the difference between a home cooked meal and McDonalds, isn't it?
I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with your boat (whichever one you decide on) well before it gets wet. In fact, it has started already.

Walter

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Marvin, you just flat need to learn to swim!  Can't be that hard, there's millions of little kids do it....    :biglaugh:  

Well, I'm just messing with ya.  I am not a great swimmer but I'm good enough to be comfortable in water over my head.  My family on my Mom's side has some kind of genetic trait where many of the men can't float.  I've got two uncles that can take a full breath and jump in a pool and sink to the bottom.  Lucky for me, I take after my Dad and float like a cork.  My brother can swim but has to work to tread water and my oldest boy can't float either.

I couldn't imagine not being able.  Talk about discomfort or outright fear when around the water!  I understand your hesitancy to build a boat but I'd still work at it and the swimming both.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
Took lessons a couple of years ago.  I can now move around in the water pretty good, but it's that breathing thing that gets me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©