3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Martin Hatfield?  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Martin Hatfield?
« on: August 14, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
If you have owned or shot one, what are your thoughts and opinions about it?
Thanks much.
Steve.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Martin Hatfield?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
had one a while back... seemed a bit sluggish but was very well built. would i recommend one ? not really. but i had a Martin Hunter that was beautiful to shoot ditto my savannah... But generally Martins are great bows ...great service ....good prices.
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
like bmlongshot, I had one real nice to look at was slow as if that makes any difference. The thing with the one I had was the tiller was off and it stacked real bad it was only 50lbs... Not sure I would recomend one either..guess for the money they aren't to bad if you get a good one.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
I've owned a lot of recurves(40+) and the best one I've shot is my Martin Hatfield(next best was a friend's Habu). Smooth drawing, absolutely NO stacking, plenty fast with FF, shoots where it points,fairly quiet(especially with a B-50 string).
It has been my go-to bow the last three years and has taken a fair amount of game(I'd like to say a lot of game, but it's bowhunting after all).They are not a low priced bow(retails over $600), but you can get one used at a fair price.
Martins are great bows.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
I remember when I first started stickbow, my first was the martin hunter...my buddy, the guys who got me into shooting trad was shooting a hatfield...mind you it's not the same bow then as it is now or atleast it doesnt appear that way.

That bow stacked badly and was a bit noisey imho.   I cant compare the newer models.

I will say for even less the hunter II is a much gooder bow....checkmate,  www.recurves.com

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
I never notice any stacking on the Martin Hatfield Takedowns.  I've had three of them and they were smooth as butter.  I would like to see a force/draw curve on them...If they stack, it has to be past 30 inches of draw.  The last one I had was pretty fast, and very dead in the hand.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
maybe he gots a bad one George.....but all of us that played with it noticed a very distinct wall to it and I dont draw no turdy inches  ;) .

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Was it the one with the gray actionwood riser with zebrawood accents?  The ones I had were the two piece risers, that looked kind of like bubinga.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
yuppers...heck this was almost 20 years ago George, back when I was still a youngn  ;)   There was a huge difference between my martin and his hatfield.  

To this day he still shoots it, and to this day that bow is still giving him issues!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
Maybe that's why Martin (Howatt) changed the design 8^).   Take care and shoot well.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
Tell ya this, what I would do to get my hands on a damon howatt hunter like my first bow!!!   I havent seen the new howatts....we're a little behind the times up here  ;) .   Be nice to zing some arrows out of it though, I'm sure it's a winner.

Offline del

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
I had one and still kick myself for getting rid of it.  Best shooting bow I have ever had.  Very hard shooter and quiet.  By the way, thanks for the memories, I think I'll go sit in the corner now!    <>< del

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
I bought one some where around 1989 or 1990 I loved it, it was a great shooter, it had the gray action wood with zebrawood accents I thought it was the prettiest bow I had ever seen. Wish I had kept it. I traded it about three years ago for a longbow which is all I shoot now .

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
have one of the new models now. have had several over the years & never had one that was'nt smooth drawing. this one shoots 500 gr. arrows at 185 ft. per sec. ain't to slow for me. ( 28" draw, b50 )

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
I've owned a few different model hatfields, ranging from the mid 90's to late 2007.  I can't say I've really noticed any stacking with any of them and I pull a touch over 29".  I can't speak for pulling them further than that though.  The older models were a touch slower, but they were also dacron only.  Not enough increase in speed with the newer models to really say they're faster by design.  I believe it was more the string material.   I wouldn't feel ill equipped out in the field with a hatfield or any Martin/Howatt bow for that matter.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline easyup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
Only one I have spent time with has been an excellent bow, still have it and if it will be a ruggered hunt it will go as it is getting a little banged up and my other bows are just too pretty.  In the used market I think they are one of the best bargins out there.  A family member picked up a really nice one off **** for $275 and after shooting it it is one of the best deals I have ever seen.

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
Had a newer model that was undermarked in draw weight by about 8lbs. Going back and forth between the Hatfield and the Hunter resulted in my keeping the Hunter and selling the Hatfield. While the Hatfield was very zippy, it sounded like a train if the brace height wasn't absolutely perfect, no matter which string material I used.
The one-piece Hunter was much smoother as well, but I just attributed that to takedown vs. one-piece behavior. If I weren't a longbow convert at the present, I'd buy another Hatfield, but about 10lbs lighter than I'd normally shoot.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
i bought one new about 8 years ago. 45# at my draw. great bow . smooth, good shooter. when i got mine, they were still retailing for around $450.00, which i think is a fair price for a new one. shortly after that, they shot up over $600, which i think is way overpriced compared to what you can get for that price or a little more.
i see a good number of them for sale used at good prices. make sure you check the year it was made if you buy used. there are tons of really old ones out there.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©