3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Knife, Multi-Tool, Both?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Knife, Multi-Tool, Both?
« on: March 30, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
Just wondering what you guys carry when you go afield. I've always carried just a 2-bladed Case. Been thinking about getting a Leatherman. Curious as to what everyone on here carries. Justin

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Knife, Multi-Tool, Both?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
Both
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
I carry a case stockman in pocket and a schrade skinning knife in my pack, I hardly ever use my skinning knife.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 12:08:00 AM »
Case stockman or Scrade stockman and Gerber multitool. I like the one hand operation of the Gerber over the leatherman. I also have a skinning knife in my pack.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 12:11:00 AM »
me i carry an ulu knife  and a pruning saw  :thumbsup:    :archer:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
A Schrade multi-tool built by Vise-Grip. I'm not sure if they make them anymore considering the demise of Schrade cutlery, but if you can lay your hands on one----get it. I destroyed 3 multitools in a year--1 Leatherman, 1 Schrade Tufftool, and 1 Gerber before I ended up with this one, I have had it for going on 4 years now, and haven't even destroyed it a little bit.

Also I carry a Coast lockback knife, so I'll have to say I carry both.

Jeff

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 06:18:00 AM »
I carry a Leatherman Wave on me every single day. Great tool that gets used a lot.I'm a network troubleshooter by trade so I'm always taking jacks apart, opening panels, ect. If i'm hunting, I'll carry a fixed blade with me. Generally a Buck (Vanguard,Kalinga,Mentor) but I have several fixed blades of different makers to choose from. No shortage of blade over here...

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 07:26:00 AM »
Kershaw Alaskan Blade Trader.  I don't leave home without it.  Quit carring my Victorinox multi tool a few years back.  Used is very little and haven't missed it either. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline mbbushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
Leatherman Wave is always on my belt, usually a Benchmade Snipe, or Columbia River M16 folder in my pocket, and one of a multitude of fixed blades that I carry when actually hunting. Oh, and there's often another one or two more knifes scattered about my person, (neck,and/or boot). What can I say, I'm a knife freak  :cool:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 12:10:00 PM »
My everyday carry is a Cold Steel Vaquero. Mean 5" serrated blade. Sharpest knife I have ever held. I teach knife/gun/self-defense to law enforcement personnel and know the importance of carrying a knife. I've been also looking at a Browning Stag Big Game. The one with the Saw, Gut Hook, and Blade. Kind of expensive though.

Offline Bilbow Bagem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
Leatherman Surge.  My son says I carry too many knives but this is the one I always have with me.  I've used a Leatherman of one type or another to cut up more animals than any other knife I have.  The Surge has two good working blades and a very good saw for bone.  It is quite handy for trimming those evil limbs from my shooting lane.  The diamond sharpener is great for touching up a broadhead or a knife edge in the field.

Have you ever noticed how often you get a shot when you forget to bring a knife?  :biglaugh:

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
This may seem like over kill but I carry a leatherman on my belt. A folding gerber knife in my pocket. A folding saw, two more knives for field dressing and skinning in my day pack. I belive in being prepared for almost anything....lol
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
I wear a Leatherman original. I've had it for years. Cleaned-quartered and deboned 2 elk and I don't how many deer with it. It's a great package.I always carry another knife,but,I've never had to use the back up yet. Holds a good edge.
SL

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
Sent my Leatherman back in to the factory couple months back to have a screw put in. Lost the original and replaced it with a hardware screw. That Leatherman was 13 yrs old, and gone thru 3 holsters. They sent me a brand new one in exchange. I carry it everday  and use it several times a day. In addition I carry either a Kershaw folder or one of many sheath knives. Plus every quiver has a knife and every BP shooting bag has a knife. Plus my van has a folder on the dash at all times and a Case hunting knife in the back in case of ??. I guess I'm knife silly.lol.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
boker folding hunter, case trapper, leatherman wave
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 11:48:00 PM »
leatherman charge for me, with pocket clip, along with regular hunting knives
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »
For a major hunt, like elk in the wilds, I carry a Knives of Alaska 2 knife set, (either the Light hunter w/ cub knife or the Brown bear w/ the cub knife.  More importantly though is the Gerber Urban Legend multi-tool.

For an Archer/Bowhunter I can't think of a better multi-tool.  I particularly like the cutter the Urban Legend offers.  It's made of Carbide and is replaceable.

:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
I have carried for years a custom Emerson folding knife, to me its the best knife made, period. As for as multi tools one with diamond edge file is great for touching up BH's...  :thumbsup:    :coffee:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Taiga Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
My EDC is a Camullis Heat (robo assist folder), a Leatherman Wave. When I go into the field, my additions are, gerber saw, BK7 (fixed blade), and a Becker Necker.
"Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye.
Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©