3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ? for treesaddle users....how long did it take you ....  (Read 1135 times)

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
? for treesaddle users....how long did it take you ....
« on: August 15, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
I have a question for treesaddle users... how long did it take you before you "got the hang of it"?  To be more specific; how long did it take to get comfortable with setting up, moving around the tree and shooting from it?  Its a month before deer season opens around here and I'm still debating if I should get one or not and if I would have time enough to become proficient with it.  Thanks for your help.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? for treesaddle users....how long did it take you ....
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
I think you should go for it. I have hunted for more than 20 yrs out of my own home made and now the saddle. After a couple of outings you will get accustomed to the feel and freedom to move in different shooting positions. With that said you will have to learn to stop moving just because it's so easy. Many will tell you to get knee pads. I use a fanny pack that has one large pocket. After I get set up and all my gear on, I fasten the pack at knee height. Plenty comfortable enough without more stuff. You need to learn how you are the most comfortable. How to plant your knees on the tree for better movement at shot time. I like one knee planted. Most importantly you have to commit to using it. Many people want stick with it long enough to realize that it's the easiest way to hunt.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
Start by setting up on a tree you don't have to climb up, then work your way higher each time you shoot until you are comfortable around 10 ft off.  I use the neoprene one with the side storage bag.  It is recommended to use knee pads.  I actually use this in my back yard for practice at dawn in the summer.  After a few days of practice, you will feel completely safe in a Saddle.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
Number one thing is getting familiar with how to tie your knot and where at on the tree it gives you the most mobility.  I'm right handed, so I prefer to set up so I have the most range off of my left side.  Height of the knot is important as it can get in the way of a long bow limb at steep angles.  Try it before you go for sure.  I bought mine a year ago and it changed the way I hunt.  I also got a set of knee pads later on for long sits.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »
I was comfortable in it the moment I put it on, but I've been rock climbing forever so it wasn't a large stretch for me.

I DID have to practice a bit in it to get the idea of shooting from it, but it's just practice like anything else.
Support the sport!

Offline Morpheus32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »
Same here.  Rock climbing/parachuting background so harnesses and safety stuff...second nature.  I would recommend particing daily from 2 or 3 feet up so you get the hang of things....that way when the season opens, it will be old hat...

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 01:49:00 AM »
What are the best kind of knee pads to use?

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Morpheus32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 07:18:00 AM »
Any kneepad that has a solid front.  The objective is to be able to lean into the tree.  If the front of the knee pad is soft...it will dig into your knee.  I have used tactical type ones that I have from the army as well as the trophyline ones....both are just as good...

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
Guys,
not trying to hijack your thread here, I promise. I tried the treesaddle and love shooting out of it, just could not sit still in it long enough. part of the comfort issue for me was the constant feeling of being forced into the tree.

I now hunt from a Guido's web. The key difference between the saddle and the web is the web has a metal standoff bar between your legs that holds you about 5" off the tree. Much more comfortable for me personally. I cannot shoot from the Web as well as I can a saddle, but only directly behind me. No knee pads to worry with either. Guido's also has a very comfortable seat and backrest compared to the saddle. I felt all cramped in even in a jeans and t shirt in the web since the webbing is so close to you where the web's webbing is out more to your sides and not pinching in on your sides. No way I could have stood heavy clothing in the saddle.

Again guys, these are just my experiences hunting out of both the saddle and the web last year. You will get busted before you ever get a shot if you are fidgeting around like I was every 15 minutes in the saddle.

nocams   :readit:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
Shooting from the saddle didn't take long to get the hang of for me. It's like any elevated stand as far as leaning, bending, or twisting at the waist so that you get proper alignment.

I carry climbing sticks in and out with me so my biggest challenge has been getting up the tree and setting up my platform (3 strap on steps on one strap) quietly.

I've had the saddle for a couple of years but have only hunted out of it a hand full of times. I really want to make the saddle work this year so I've been practicing more in the back yard to get my system down. I'm still figuring out how to be most comfortable in it for long sits. The few times that I used it last year I had a hard time getting comfortable and felt that I was fidgeting way to much. You have to position the saddle just right on your butt or the straps can bite into your thighs. I've heard from others that they sit in the saddle all day, but I still need to find the sweet spot where I can sit for long stretches without moving.

The height that you attach the strap to the tree is important as well. Some like it way up high and others lower. I'm still trying to figure that out too. Knee pads are also a must. I just bought a $5 pair of closed cell foam ones with an elastic velcro strap and they work fine.

Back to your question, I think you can figure all of these things out and be proficient with it in a week or less - maybe a few days of playing around with it.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
Jsimon,
from what I found you need to tie the strap up as high as you can to make it the most comfy. That was another thing I did not like about the saddle vs the Web. The saddle strap has to be tied as tight and as high as you can possibly reach and hope that it does not slide down too much when you settle you weight into it. I had a hard time keeping it up as high on a slicker barked tree as I would have liked.

The web's strap is a cinch strap you simply slide it where you want it on the tree and pull the cinch tight, DONE ! When all is right it feels like sitting in a lounge chair hanging from a rope. And again, not being forced into the tree by having the metal stand off bar holding you off the tree. No knee pads reguired. JMHO

nocams  :readit:
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
I used it for the majority of my hunts last year and thought it sucked in every way. Uncomfortable, hated the knee pads and you really dont have 360 degree shooting mobility as it requires WAY too much movement-especially if you are shooting to the right. It cost me several shot opportunities. Love the concept though and bought a  treesuit and vulture in the off-season after I sold the saddle. Can already tell that both are much more comfortable and neither require knee pads.
BD

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 01:52:00 AM »
Too fidgety for me too.  Back to a LW stand.
I was already a portable hunting style- so that is no different for me.  Much more comfort with less movement on the LW.  Wt. difference was ony 5#. . . negligible on my back.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 02:11:00 AM »
Superk
I was comfy enough with one to fall asleep in it within a month. Fell out of it about 4 days later and haven't used one since. Luckily for me hunting in Alaska is more of a spot and stalk affair than sit and wait.

BTW I was wearing a safety belt, the tether gave me a nice welt across the face when it snapped.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Over 1 mile hike in = Guido's Web, Woodpecker drill, and bolts for steps.

Less than a mile hike = Summit Viper, the most comfy and safe climber out there in my humble opinion.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
can anybody post a picture, I dont know what a treesaddle is.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
GO TO TROPHYLINEUSA.COM

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
I use a screw-in "T" bolt to attach the strap to the tree. Instead of rapping it around the tree twice and tieing a knot, I only rap it one time and tie the strap knot right above the "T" bolt. No more slipping down the tree. I've fallen asleep in my tree saddle many times. I do not understand how it's possible for someone to fall out if the saddle is attached correctly.
N/A

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
I do not use a Treesaddle but i love this system of hunting.

Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline jojotater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
I guess getting use to it is different for everyone. I hunt public land where you can't screw anything into the trees. I didn't like the strap on steps for the platform, so I attached a piece of aluminum to the top of my lone wolf sticks to stand on; top section now looks like a letter T. It works great, but you can't walk all the way around the tree. I never did that anyway.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©