3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can you recommend a simple, decent turkey call?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
Can you recommend a simple, decent turkey call?
« on: March 31, 2007, 12:22:00 AM »
I've only gone after turkey a few times, and never as the caller.  I just want something to simulate a few hen vocalizations, very lightly, since I'll be on public land...I don't want to call in the other hunters from a 1/2 mile away...as I know there will be quite a few guys in my area.

Maybe one that straps to the leg?  I don't want diaphram calls...because I may just be on a stool instead of in the blind...

I know a few good spots, and have been within bow range of turkeys quite a few times last fall...just no tag  :knothead:  

So I was thinking something that would project sound maybe 100 yards with some clucks and putts...and reasonably priced...is $30 and under reasonable?

Season here starts 2nd week of May for 3 weeks.

Thanks for the help!!
Marc
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can you recommend a simple, decent turkey call?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 12:39:00 AM »
Check this post on this site. There is a make-your-own post. I made one and it sounds better than the boughten one I have. I used walnut with a basswood sound board. I think the build along is with walnut and cedar. Striker is just quarter inch dowel with a larger dowel I tapered and drilled for a press fit. I also rub powdered rosin on the striker side of the call to help with the friction. Try it, you'll like it.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=042573#000000
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Fritz Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 12:39:00 AM »
How handy are you? A wing bone call is pretty easy to make and sounds good.  Plus you can call pretty quietly with it, especially if you muffle the end with your hands.  

The other call that I have absolutely fallen in love with is the scratch box call that was featured in a build along and trade thread recently (  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=042573  ).  I get excelent sounds out of mine.

I will go afield this year with both a scratch box and a wingbone made by friends here on the Gang.

As far as store bought calls go, I prefer diaphram mouth calls because they keep my hands free.  They really arent that hard to master.  I dont understand why you wouldn't want a diaphram call if you are sitting on a stool.  

-Fritz
What demon possessed me,
that I behaved so well.
          -H.D. Thoreau

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points,
but it is by no means the most interesting.
-Dr. Who

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 01:27:00 AM »
wingbones are definatly not beginner calls, lots of people have a hard time with them.  They are however a very nice sounding call once you get the hang of them though limited in use, some people can even gobble on them.  

A box call or slate is as easy as it gets.   The real hen or the cutter are two good boxes...or a lynch world class.  Boxes are as easy as it gets though purring leaves something to be desired.  Purring on a wingbone isnt impossible but it's awful close.  One of those calls ya need to learn to do.  Simple just use your voice.  Slates are the purring kings!!!  The primo's ol besty is nice with a hickory striker!  You'll want something that is waterproof though also especially if you use a box.  Carbon or plexiglass peg.

Tubes are easy also though kinda loud (as are all of my wingbones without muffling with your hands, which you can do with a tube).  It's also one of those calls not many people use and they are CHEAP to make OR BUY!!!  They arent so easy up front to get the idear how to use it....but you'll get it quick, once you do it's an oh duh thing and they yelp, cluck and cut extremely well.

I usually carry a couple box's, a couple slates, 3 wingbones, and a p ocket full of diaphrams.  

If you can learn to use a diaphram it's one of the more versitial calls there is, and really not hard to learn.

I'd get a box or two, and a slate with a couple of pegs and you'd be set....just make sure to get a carbon or plexiglass peg with your call, can be slate, glass, aluminum or whatever else they are calling them these days, they'll all work in the rain with the right peg.  Just dont use a wooden pot call in the rain to much.  You're liable to crack the pot due to sweeling and shrinking.

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 06:02:00 AM »
Marc, take a serious look at this-http://www.pennswoods.com/8850.html
the lucky clucker is exactly what you are looking for, my brother and I have had great sucess with these.

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 06:32:00 AM »
AWAY calls makes a great pushbutton call called the Super trooper 2000. It is unbeatable as a simple beginner call and it has great sound!
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 07:36:00 AM »
"I don't want diaphram calls...because I may just be on a stool instead of in the blind..."

I don't understand this statement. A diaphram is the only call you can use that required no movement. Most people I've hunted with switch to a diaphram when the turkey gets close so they don't spook the bird. You can make any sound a turkey make with one and you can adjust the volume to match the hunt. You can also get a box of them for under $2.00 or make you own from rubber gloves and pop cans. I've use them successfully on public land too. I'm wonder why you are excluding the perfect fit?

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 07:38:00 AM »
I forgot to add this, Indians use a blade a grass between their thumbs. That's pretty cheap and easy to make too.  :)

Offline BernzoP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »
Hey DarkeGreen, I'm intrigued on how you make calls with pop cans and rubber gloves.  Do you have any links to instructions for that?

I'd definitely like to try making one.

Thanks
Huntin' Mushrooms & Turkeys at the same time....it doesn't get any better than that. BP

Offline Shovelbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
I've been using a 35mm film container and a piece of rubber glove for better than 25 years. It's the only call I use and always works when others wont.
I'll try to get some pics later today.
No matter what type of bow is shot, we're all archers.

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
Go to  WWW.callkits.com  look at the friction calls. Or if you have the tools look up 4Nolz friction pot calls. I have made a few and all of my friends use them, around pot call has all of the sounds needed, but it is the cadance that is the trick to calling.

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
The simplest call is a good box call. I have many customs calls, boxes & slates. I carry my one sided lynch(fool proof) all the time & it sounds as good as those. A slate is a good call & often works when the box wont, & I highly recomend you learn a diaphram. You will need it for the last 50 to 100 yards. Try a beginers double by quaker boy. They are only $4-5 dollars
thinner latex & easy to learn. Good Luck  Mike
Big Mike

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
Sleepy -

That Lucky Clucker is a heckuva call for sealin' the deal.  Easy to use and works like a charm.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
Wow thanks for all of the responses.

Looks like I've got some reading to do, so I will go thru all the links when I get back from town in a few hours.

I will clarify my diaghram statement--I figured that I can't shoot with it in my mouth...

Do you guys shoot with 'em in, gently spit them out, or what--if you have a turkey within 20 yards, alert, and looking for the "hen"??

Thanks for the tips!!
Marc

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
Marc,
A diaphram is fairly easy to learn to use, not only can you shoot with them in your mouth, but you can make noise with them while shooting.  If you have a gag problem, there are several out there that have a palate plate on them.  
>>>Tim------->
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
Marc, ya can probably get a push botton, a slate with striker and another for $30. I just got a owl hooter, a slate and striker, 2 diaphragm calls and a crow call in a kit for $25 at Dicks. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shovelbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
I was going to post a pic of my "FREE" call but did a build along instead. Try em, they are great.
   Free Call
No matter what type of bow is shot, we're all archers.

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
Just leave the call in place or roll it to your cheek.

Do a search on Google "making diaphram calls" and you'll find a bunch of links, kits, etc. I'll include this link because it show one shape you can cut out of a can. After you're done you use the cloth medical tape to cover the frame and you can't tell the difference from a store bought call. Here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/hawksridgegamecalls/directions.htm

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 12:08:00 AM »
Wow tons of great reading, build-alongs, and links...now I just have to choose some...

Can't thank all of you enough!!

Take Care,
Marc

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 03:02:00 AM »
shoot me your address,and I got a nice slate call I'll send ya.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©