3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: West of Eden  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: West of Eden
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
Yeah Killie it's my wallpaper now, but on my computer.  Sounds like a fun time for all.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
...   ........     :wavey:  

Woodrow & Fun Sizers You were a TOTAL BLESSING

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2009, 02:12:00 AM »
Bout the onlyst things left are Security Check Gates and the Goodbye Hugs.

Oh and the wait for the REST of THE STORY   :bigsmyl:

When they get home............   :clapper:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
Geezz....did the cat get the answering machine's tung?

I need a call on my cell please Sir Vance....and I need for Sir Charles to also be available......

:coffee:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
Beautimus, just beautimus.

:campfire:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
Hmmmm.....just revisited that beautiful picture...and those two peaks sure looked familiar....

Here's a view of those same peaks from a little different angle and lighting....

Ah....the memories.......I'll be back next year    :readit:

Thanks for sharing guys....much appreciated.   :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
Thats awesome Terry!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Danged Corner Buck! He smoked me too Joe...never could get within 75 yards of that booger. He probably has the dubious honor of whoopin more Tradgangers than any single individual animal still alive   :readit:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Just got back to Boston aftyer a full days travel from the Ryegrass.  Being with Vance, Charlie, Doug, Whip, Woody, and the Fun Sizers was one of my best weeks afield.  I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.  But just remember one thing...my handle here is tippit  ;)  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
Great story telling here and can't wait for more.   thanks for sharing!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »
As we sat on the porch being warmed by the rising rays of the sun and sipped the morning java I found myself torn in three different directions.  The company and conversation was as good as a man could hope to find and it was tempting to linger.

But this would be our last day at the Ryegrass, and the antelope had been at the water hole in mid morning yesterday.  I wanted one last crack at them badly.  And although I don't claim to be a hard core fisherman we had unrestricted access to world class trout fishing.  To pass up an opportunity like that would border on foolish and I don't like to be thought a fool.  

I wanted to do it all, and would try my best to squeeze it all into what time remained.

As I drove toward the pond the antelope seemed active and I passed a couple of bunches on the way.  

As I pulled up to where I could see the pond there were already a half dozen of the speed goats near the water.  I had lingered  on the porch to long!  They ran off as I slowed the truck to watch, and I could only hope that they hadn't yet had time to drink and might return later.  I set a goal of staying for at least four hours to give them a fair chance to develop a thirst.

Activity was slow, but I remained alert, having learned my leason the previous day.  The smell of sage brush is the essence of the west, and one of my favorite odors in the world.  I crushed it between my fingers to release more of the sweetness and overloaded my olfactories.  

Clouds drifted lazily overhead while a chipmunk scampered back and forth through my little hidey hole. A ground squirrel kept a watchful eye for trouble from the top of the dam.  A sparrow lit breifly on my pant leg before apparantly realizing this bush wasn't quite right.  The plains look barren from a distance, but there is plenty to see.

A flash of movement in the sage brush made my heart jump a beat.  A badger appeared over the top of the dam, working its way down and around the waters edge, his regal cloak of gold and black shimmering in the sun.  A special treat to a hunter from the badger State - could this be an omen?  

Finally, shortly before noon, two does and a fawn appeared on the hillside to the north and began to give the pond a good looking over.  After a number of false starts the lead doe couldn't take it any longer and came in on the run.  She went straight to the water while the other doe and fawn began feeding on grass around the edge of the pond.  

I was tucked in behind sage brush sitting on the ground.  I rolled to my knees unseen and eased my bow into position.  As the tension on the string began to bend the limbs the head of the doe in the water snapped to attention and before I could even think about it she blew out of the water and out of my life, taking her girl friends with her.  

As Charlie would put it when I related the story to him later, she was 29" away from having a really bad day!  But she won this contest, and although I did see other goats in the distance, they were the last to come to the water before I decided to pack it up.  

There were fish to catch.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »
First off a little quiz, which one do you figure really runs the Rye Grass?   ;)

I only got to stay a short time but it was great to get to hang with some of my favorite Brothers! Here's a pic from Jeff's and my first day on the river! It was one of the best days I've ever experienced on the water. Thanks Vance and Jeff for making it special!

Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
Sure am injoying reading this thread, thought I'd make that little comment to get this back up where it's easy to find for you guys to finish the tales  :campfire:

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
I flew in from Boston on the 15th...90 degrees and humid.  Coming into Jackson Hole, I was welcomed by the Teton peaks and sweater weather...in fact it went to 28 degrees by Saturday morning   :eek:  

Whip was waiting for me as he got in about a 1/2 hour earlier.  As we were talking all of a sodden I get this big bear hug from Vance along with Doug & Charlie.  The journey begins!

After lunch at Bubba's Bar BQ, we head south to Pinedale and the Ryegrass Ranch.  I'm a New England boy used to congestion, houses, etc...but in my home town all the houses are hidden by Trees!  You can't see very far and hunting doesn't get good until all the leaves fall around the end of October.  Holy Cow you can see sky 360 degree here  :)   The Ryegrass Ranch.

The Man who got this shindig into action...Iron Bull   :notworthy:  Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
Luv that fella    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
Oh, we need to add the obligatory food descriptions.  Let's see, where do we start....
Burgers As Big As Your Head
Melt In Your Mouth Ribeye Steaks
Tender Chicken cooked on the Smoker Grill
Enchilladas and rice followed by Flan for dessert
Oven Roasted Beef Ribs
An entire flat of huge juicy cheeries that Woody brought along.
Cheese by the pound.  (Note: be VERY wary of anything called Beer Case Cheese  :scared:  )

To busy eating most of the time to remember to take pictures, but I did get one.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
One of the true joys of the time we spent together was getting a chance to know Woody's brood.  A finer trio of Fun Size people you could not find anywhere!

(L to R) Joe, Emma, Annie (and of course Mr. Toughy)

Woody and his kids had spent the previous couple of weeks wandering around the west on a classic summer vacation.  The rest of us were blessed that they were able to join us at the Ryegrass.

What a great family activity.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
What a great thread, but I'm finding it difficult to add my part.  No matter how hard I try to capture the last few days in words and photos, it will never compare to the real deal. Some things are easy enough to rate.  The fishing for example:  it was the best I've ever experienced.  The food?  Delicious and plentiful (I gained five pounds).  And but for late afternoon breezes that made casting hard for mere mortals (unlike Tippit), the weather was dead perfect.  But when it comes to describing the deep friendships and comraderie, this keyboard fails me.  For me, this was a gathering of close friends disguised as a fishing trip.

For me and my kids, it started at Daniel, Wyoming.  We waited at the gas station for Vance to pick up Whip and Tippit.  I think we were the only customers that day.  Maybe the only customers this decade...    ;)  

Soon enough, we were slapping backs and bear-hugging.  Niceties settled, we got our priorities strung and hung.

When Charlie's around, I try to keep my mouth shut except to needle another great story out of him.  If we don't get a book out of him soon, we oughta think about filing a civil suit against him.   :readit:  

One of these guys is the boss.  I'll let you figure out who...

TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »
Whip and I were talking about how we wonder what other people's computer/trophy/man caves look like.  Here's a pic of Vance's inner sanctum, with Mr. Lamb hard at work on the keyboard.  It's hard to see, but hidden among a zillion cool things there are two computers plus a big photo printer.  The other three walls are just as rich with treasures and memories.

Outside the man cave is a hat rack.  One of three, I think.  Maybe four.  Vance's collection of hats is as impressive as his collection of hatracks.

Here's one in action.

TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
Time for business.  Here Vance and Doug do some strategizing.  Doug had to leave a little early to get back to his ranch, but not before he gave most of the fish in the county a sore lip.

Your fly's open.  

Whip was a natural with a flyrod.  Although he claimed to be a novice, he caught a gorgeous brown on his first cast.  Within a couple minutes (literally!), he'd also landed a big brookie and a rainbow.  Whip, did you ever catch a cutthroat for the grand slam?

And isn't that one of Vance's hats?  Not only is it lucky, but looks pretty darn good!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©