3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow weight for Elk  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Vinyari

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow weight for Elk
« on: August 16, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
hey everyone

got drawn for cow elk this year and have decided to take my longbow with me, I shoot a lost creek r/d 45# @ 28" and drawing 28". Presently I am shooting 600spine 29" arrow with 125gr plus 100grain brass up front, total arrow weight with 3 4" feathers and arrow wrap 450gr. I have been told by some very good friends, that I trust and look up too that I need more arrow weight, and I agree, my broad heads are muzzy phanton 125's. i'd prefer to not change out my broadheads, but if necessary then I will, I am use to shooting that weight up front and don't want to have to mess with the change this close to season.

Any suggestions that we have not thought of?
Well thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Randy
Lost Creek 60" long bow 45#@28"

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow weight for Elk
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
That's a very debated subject (arrow weight).
I personally think you'd be ok if you kept your shots broadside and kept them under 20 yards.

Another option, is to go to the next heavier spine and put enough weight up front to get them tuned right (ie. heavy brass inserts and heavier point weights).
This would give you a much heavier arrow with more penetrating potential, but youd loose the flat trajectory you currently have.
In the end, the decision is going to have to be made by you and what your comfortable hunting with.

hope this helps,
sammy

Offline Vinyari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
thanks for the replies guys

Randy

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
Its kind of funny - asking which arrow is best for elk- is almost like asking which color shirt one should wear: when accepting the winnings of a 100,000,000 dollar lottery ticket.    :archer:    ;)    

Accuracy and SHARP broadheads !!!!!!!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Vinyari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
No, I'm not asking which arrow, I'm asking about arrow weight, considering i'm shooting 45#, rule of thumb for general shooting,even animals like deer or bear, 10gr/lb of draw weight, but it's different for bigger animals like Elk of moose so that's why i'm asking.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
I would recommend a heavier bow and arrow.

Offline Vinyari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
sry the heavier bow isn't an option, I can't afford to go buy another bow. but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
Vinyari, you are fine with what you have as long as those arrows are flying perfectly.  You can shoot through a car door with a 45 pound bow and 480 grain arrow.  That's a fact that I can relate to 8^)....it was a junk car.  Contact Ron LaClair about that arrow weight and what it will do.  Sharp broadheads and perfect arrow flight will trump weight any day.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
Get your arro weight closer to 500grs is my suggestion

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
I shot through a steel door in my garage once with a 425 grain arrow out of a 47lb longbow.

:knothead:  
-Charlie

Offline Vinyari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
thanks for the relpies guys

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
Now I know why elk stay out of cars.

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »
I would say that the 450 grain arrow is perfect for the bows draw weight. I love 10 grains per lb out of my bows. The speed you will gain with the little bit lighter arrow will make up for some of the difference in penetration. Be sure to take lots of pictures and be sure to send me one.. Good luck on the hunt and shoot straight.Chad
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline elktalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »
Check to see if 45# is a legal weight in the state your hunting. I know in Oregon minimum weight is 50# for elk. Have a great time, but I know you will, elk hunting is great!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »
If you want to add some more weight you can put weight tubes in your arrows..or many other objects..( rope / trimmer line / ect... )..good luck on your hunt.  :)
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline Vinyari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
Elktalker, here are the regulations for hunting big game in Alberta, My bow and arrows are fine.

Persons hunting big game must use an authorized bow and an authorized arrow. An authorized bow is one that is held, drawn and released by muscular power and has a draw weight of not less than 18 kg (40 lb.). This is the number of kilograms (pounds) required to draw an arrow of 71 cm (28 in.) to its head. An authorized arrow is one that is not less than 61 cm (24 in.) in length that has a tip that bears a head that is not intentionally designed to resist being withdrawn after it has penetrated an object. Furthermore, it must either have a solid, sharp cutting head of at least 7/8 inch in width, or a head that, when the arrow impacts, opens to present sharp cutting edges at least 7/8 inch in width.

Chad, your reply means alot to me, seeing as I am shooting one of your bows and you know them better than anyone,

As a side note, my wife sure is looking forward to getting her new bow from you, the left handed ladies bow for gitrdone.

Well I am going to try some heavier arrows to see how they work, and if that doesn't work, I'm goona try my present setup.

thanks for all the replies guys
Randy

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
You should be ok just make sure your BH's are scary sharp them elk have some thick hides...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
I am hunting moose in 2 weeks with my longbow (high RD) that is 60# at my draw with full length arrows that are 775grains total with grizzly el grande broadheads-ashby modified. I like the weight wich knocks the sound down. Wicked speed is not that important to me but i practice with that weight only. I wouldn't change the weight of my arrows for hunting unless i have 2 months of practice before hand.
 I would want my arrows to be 650grains total, or over, for elk or moose (the ashby determined weight threshold) and a bow that can deliver such arrow.
that's just me, i know many others hunt with much lighter arrows succesfully. Moose and big Elk are just that-BIG. Deer just don't compare.
I would guess that 450 grains with a perfect arrow set up and razor sharp 2-blade broadhead-single bevel will be fine as long as you make a perfect shot-full broadside or quartering away with a heart shot or as close to it.
imho
Rob

Offline larryh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
10 grains per pound of draw weight is NOT a light set-up.
i've killed a lot of elk and really don't find them hard to penetrate.they also have an enormous kill area.
your gear will do the job fine, especially on a cow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©