3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow stiffness  (Read 958 times)

Offline archshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow stiffness
« on: August 16, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
i would like to know flat out the effects of a weaker arrow to a stiffer arrow, and if arrow point weight will affect that

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow stiffness
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
Will tip weight affect stiffness?  It'll affect the dynamic stiffness.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
The heavier the point the weaker spine your arrow will become.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline archshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
how will this affect the arrow in flight

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »
Typically....your nock will kick right with a shaft that is too stiff.  Opposite if it's too weak.  

This is assuming you're RH.

Offline archshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
yes i am and what is dynamic stiffness

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
If your arrow kicks right when shot out of a right handed bow that indicates your arrow is too stiff for your bow.  If you had say..a 145 grain tip to begin with and then put on a say... 200 grain tip then your arrow will weaken and either kick LESS to the right or fly more straight.  
When I tune my arrows I know that I want to end up using a heavy tip (280-300 grains).  So I use an arrow that will be stiff (kick right) with a 145-175 grain tip.  When I put on the heavy tip it weakens the arrow back to center and flys straight.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline archshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
ok that makes alot more sense now thank you for the info

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 12:03:00 AM »
arch:

Static spine is what we test when we use a spine checker.  Tip weight won't affect this reading.

Dynamic spine is how your arrow reacts due to several factors (arrow length; tip weight; DW) when shot.

Adding feathers to your shaft will also make your shafts react more stiff.  I try to get a slightly weak reading when bare shafting, knowing the feathers will stiffen them, slightly.

Offline crandog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
GMMAT, you sure you got that the right way around?  Weak shaft = nock left, stiff shaft = nock right, for a right handed shooter.

Offline Keuka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
If your arrow is too stiff in spine and you are shooting right handed, your arrow will come out of the bow with the nock end too far to the right. This will cause a fletched arrow to fish tail as it tries to straighten itself. One way to correct this is increase the weight of your field point.

If your arrow is too weak in spine and you are a right hand shooter, the arrow will leave the rest nock left. Again your arrow will fish tail and fly poorly as it tries to correct or straighten itself in flight. You can correct this by decreasing the arrow point weight or shortening the shaft.

If you are shooting left handed the reverse will take place. Too stiff-nock left; too weak-nock right.  

Determining correct arrow spine with a fletched shaft can be difficult. The arrow may be quicker than the eye and you can't determine nock left from nock right.  Find an article on bare shaft tuning. There may be a good one in the Shooters Forum on this site.

If you are new to shooting and still working on your form, bare shaft tuning can be frustrating. Each time you change you form, even in the slightest way, the bare shaft will react differently. Nail down your form first so each release is the same. Makes tuning much less frustrating. Good Luck.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
Sam, the importance of shooting the correct arrow really becomes apparrant when shooting broadheads, because any spine problems are magnified greatly with a broadhead arrow.
look up A & H archery's website a sponser here, and look up the bow tuning section.
 http://www.acsbows.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©