3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My student becomes the teacher  (Read 626 times)

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
My student becomes the teacher
« on: August 17, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
Earlier this summer I had a 10 year old boy ask if he could shoot bows with me.  Thanks to my Tradgang family I was able to get a bow for Edwin and arrows that were properly spined to go along with it.  He has come a long ways and I'm quite proud of him.  

While eating at his father's restaraunt on Saturday, Edwin introduced me to his 12 year old cousin Juan and asked if he could shoot with us.  How could I say no?  I talked with Juan's father and arranged to pick them up today for some shooting.  

Edwin's form and knowledge really showed and I kind of sat back and watched as Edwin explained the basics to Juan.  It didn't take very long and Juan was hitting a paper plate once in awhile at 10 yards.  Then we put a 3D deer target up and he hit it almost every time.  Some shots in the kill zone some elsewhere but he was very pleased to find out he could actually do this.

In the photo Edwin is in the background and Juan is in the front.  After looking at the photo and comparing the forms of both archers I must admit Edwin taught Juan very well.  Knowing that Edwin learned from me and seeing how he instructed his cousin really made me feel great.

They both asked if I would take them hunting since their Father's don't hunt so I had a talk with the Dads.  School starts this week and I agreed to take them out in the woods if they did well in school.  I feel it is too soon for actual hunting but stumps should be fair game.  That along with some basic woodscraft should get them started for when they are a little bit older.

USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline 2madjacks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My student becomes the teacher
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
Great Job!!

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
Awesome!!! Kudos on you brother...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
Way to go, they will remember your kindness.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
That's what it's all about. Great job!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
It looks like the fun is just beginning. I hope you have many happy years with these two new hunting companions. You lucky sonagun!

Killdeer     :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
Nice!! One thing you can bank on is no matter where you or those boys go in life, they will never forget the guy who tought then how to shoot and hunt.

O and we are going to need up dates and pics now and then as this story progress
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
Excellent!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
Great Job!!!   :clapper:

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Really great story! Thanks for sharing it!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
I guess this means that you are going to foot some more carbons for them to stump shoot with.
Hey Pac, I often think about the day we spent in the woods stumpin, what a blast.
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »
Glad to see Edwin is getting good use of that bow Pac.I feel good about that.Nice form as well shooting it.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steelhead:
Glad to see Edwin is getting good use of that bow Pac.I feel good about that.Nice form as well shooting it.
Edwin sat on the couch with Juan and explained the safety rules, how to anchor and shoot and told why he liked his new bow much better than my 45 pound Pearson Hawk that he started out with.  He told Juan how important it was to reach the same anchor point every time and he couldn't do that with the 45# bow.

He then went into the bow room and came back out with his bow, quiver and arrows and gave Juan some hands on instruction ie this is how you hold it, cock feather out ect.  

Juan asked if he could shoot my 45# Pearson Hawk that Edwin started out with.  I told him he might be better off learning with Edwin's bow but he wanted his own bow to try.  

Off to the back yard we went and Juan shot first with Edwin instructing.  Juan's 1st arrow hit the bottom haybale.  Edwin then drew his bow and on his first shot there was a satisfying "POP" as he drilled the paper plate.  He offered his bow but Juan refused and continued to struggled with the heavier bow.

I really hope Juan's wanting to shoot the heavy bow doesn't ruin this for him but I don't want to discourage him either.

He did have fun and got some good shots but I know that heavy bow wasn't helping.  I hope Edwin can talk him into using his lighter bow until he learns proper form and anchoring but I guess that is really up to Juan.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
Good Job....Its the future of our pastime!!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 12:15:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
Edwin's 1st hunt was today.  He lives about 20 miles away and only gets to shoot with me on saturdays when soccer or Weblos isn't taking priority.  Today was our first chance to actually get some woods time in. Our plan was to go to some public land near my house and see what targets presented themselves.

It is a bowhunting only area and doesn't get much pressure.  Since this was as much a learning trip as a hunting trip we went between 10 am and 2 pm.  I knew there would be lots of questions and my plan was by going in the middle of the day we would be able to talk and not worry about distubing other hunters.  

When we got to the parking area there were two trucks there already but before we left the truck the other two guys came out for lunch.  With them gone we had the area to ourselves and wouldn't have to worry about disturbing anyone's hunt.

Getting ready to go

Didn't see any small game or deer but still had plenty of targets

Edwin enjoyed picking out deer tracks.  This one was impressive.

This is his hand for comparrison

Wrapped up the day with a bag full of trash.  I explained we wanted to leave the woods better than how we found them.  I think he understands.

We only spent 4 hours in the woods but I know Edwin had a good time.  He saw his 1st scrape and deer tracks.  We looked hard for a rub but no luck.  Hopefully, we will actully get to see some live game next time.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »
Pac, you ought to be working with a Boy Scout troop!. You sure seem to have the knack for working with the kids. If you don't have that kind of time, maybe you could arrange to do some archery demonstrations for a troop or maybe become the archery merit badge counselor. Congratulations on having the willingness and ability to work with these young guys. Thanks for sharing your love for the kids with the rest of us.Great story.
Sam

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Thats awesome!I am sure Edwin had a fine day and learned a few valuable lessons as well!

A Good day for both of you

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©