3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What it takes.....  (Read 419 times)

Offline dbow

• Trad Bowhunter
What it takes.....
« on: August 17, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
I've been hunting for about 20 years now. Started on rifle, moved to compound then to recurve.  I've enjoyed recurve so much until two things happened.  

First I moved from the mid west(Minnesota) to the east coast(Maryland).  Big mistake, less game, less hunting rights, less friendly people, less private land.  Second issue was a blessing, I had a baby girl!  Having a child is awesome, and it takes away from my practice bigtime.  I used to practice everyday, now I maybe have time for once a week!!!!  

As a result, for the past three years I've seen and missed a nice basket buck, and a trophy turkey.  Both were twenty some yards, and shouldn't have been an issue.  

Only two opportunities to shoot in 3 years total!!  

I have had angry liberals swear at me and interrupt my hunting, honkers, paintballers) and had a hiker literally walk right thru my hunting spot during season yelling "F you! This is public land!!".  (Called the warden, but he didn't show.)

This summer I moved back to my compound because of the lack of game/time and have stopped enjoying the sport of hunting.  I hate the direction compound archery has taken, I can't stand the speed race.  Also I feel the quality of the new bows are weak and way too overpriced!!!!  It seems like young hunters now are knowledgeable but would rather buy something that might fix their issues rather than develop the motor skill of shooting.

My question to you guys who maybe have gone through this before is, What can I do to recharge my trad hunting batteries?  How did you keep in shape when you had kids!  How did you deal with anti hunters?

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What it takes.....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
Practice sessions I had when kids were young only lasted 20 minutes.  Nothing can be done for anti hunters on public land unless you take matters in your own hands.  I have parked my vehicle and waited for anti hunters before.  All I did was follow them around until they left.  Never initiate confrontations with anti hunters.  Jail time is not conducive to family life or hunting schedules.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
I would probably move, right after I took my bow limb out of the hiker's rearend.  I'm fortunate to be poor, retired, and living in a land of hunters and other people with common sense.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
I am a fair shot... no mac daddy target shooter extraordinaire... But am confident about my ability to take a 20yd shot...

I am the daddy of three wonderful kids... Practice sessions are only about 5-10 minutes 2-4x a week.. I find that quality practice has improved my accuracy, more than the old 30-45 minutes of flinging arras.. Truth be told... Concentration wades after 10 minutes big time and I am less sloppy...

Half those in the early season are at no more than 3 yds into a target on my workbench in the garage.. just working through form and a good release, not on arrows. I believe that archery is 30% physical, but much more mental... a good draw using the back-pulling the elbow around until its in line.. a consistent anchor flowing into a smooth release... and a the aiming part is the minimal part... Don't focus on what you can't do, make the most of what you can... Enjoy archery... You will be surprised at how much you can achieve..

Focus on the fundamentals and doing them well individually first, then incorporating them into a good shot routine.. you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish... Whenever I have problems or accuracy falls off during the season, i go back to shooting at 3yds in the garage(no aiming) and concentrate on the fundamentals.. and it comes right back.. I usually had just become lazy and the focus on the basics overcomes my problems...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
I live in up state New York, I have have had no chances at game in alot longer than 3 years. Have started to hunt other places [out of state] when I can. I have not seen much game in the last 5 years and I really don't see that changing. I will still go afeild with my bow and enjoy the hunt. Tommorrow I'm going on a bow hike in the Adirondacks to scout and see whats out there. You should try to focus on the fun of the hunt and don't get caught up in the "gott'a get one" rut; have fun!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
what i did for my shooting (because my job requires all travel and may have to go weeks without shooting...) is i glued a feather onto my riser with barge cement or sinew and use it as a pin sight... have it set for 20 yards and away I go... still requires practice but not as much to hone. I don't feel any less traditional for tieing a quil from a dove feather onto my bow with sinew haha
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
Just to add, make the most of your practice sessions. Better to shoot 5 good arrows than 50 not so good arrows. Think thru each shot.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
Once you have the fundamentals down then practice is more of a mind game. When I am gearing up to go hunting I will set my target out at various distances and upon awakening, will go out and take that ONE cold shot. No warm-ups-just a shot like I've been sitting for hours which as we all know is a likely scenario. Then I go to work. While I will often shoot in the afternoon I consider that AM practice my most useful. I'm generally the most accurate too!     :D  

As for the antis, if they are on the verge of a rant I will ignore them. You will never convince anyone who's in a hard line position; you only may sway someone who is at worst ambivalent. I'll take the time with those folks as I have found it to be worth it. They may never hunt themselves but they are less likely to vote to ban it.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
Sell your compound!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Thier is always time to practice,kids go to bed turn on the flood lights and tear up the target.Find someone that is into traditionl bows.AND MOVE BACK TO MINNESOTA if you can.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline BrianO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
I felt the exact same way when I had kids.  I thought while they are babies I can never get in any practice.  I thought to my self I wonder when they can maybe start to shoot a bow of their own.  Well let me tell you a lot earlier than you might think.  Hallee has been shooting since she was 3.  Now she is 6 and she rather shoot her bow than play video games. And my baby, well she just turned three and has shot now for a few months.  Its more fun to spend time with them and watch their fun.  I usually shoot 1 arrow to their 2 and both of them are good for about 20 arrows or so.  But even when they get tired they still like to help me pull and carry my arrows.  Its some of the best fun of the day.  Dont let that time pass.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 02:20:00 AM »
get rid of the compound and back up slowly....

sounds like you need better camo.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 05:52:00 AM »
dbow,slasher summed it up realy well,make what practice time you can get in,quality practice.don't just fling arrows,make the first shot your best possible,and then try to better that shot.shoot ever arrow as if everthing depends on that one shot.i used to shoot 2 to 3 hundred arrows ever day,after a few years of this,i realized that after the first 30 or so arrows,i was just flinging them downrange.its better to shoot 12 arrows,3 times a day correctly,than 300 arrows a day incorrectly.and as for the anti's,tell them you are protecting the animals from human harrasment,and that at the time a bow is all you are allowed to carry.tell them not to be yelling and scaring the animals,it will blow most of them away.hope it all come's back around for you.robert  :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
Curveman is correct.. Once your form is good everything else is mental...

I would rather shoot only one great arrow a day then "fling" 100..  Its about quality, not quantity!

Get away from the crowds.. "do the work" and get back in away from the Birkenstock hippies. Scout hard and set up correctly.. Shots will come.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
Scout more than you hunt ,And set up correctly.I think most hunters set up wrong ,Aproach ,wind, wrong tree .Thier are lots of mistakes i made and thats part of the game.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
Well pretty much of what was said is true. But sounds like you putting alot of pressure on yourself. Relax, this is suppose to be our hobby our fun! Real life is work,leave it there!

Now for the fun. Start stump shootin, when possible. It's more realistic to hunting. And as for hunting, there is probably alot of small game in your area. Squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, frogs, fish, you get the picture. Shooting at a live animal is a whole lot different! And it's fun and good eats. I see to many young and new hunters think only Deer, and Turkeys. I grew up hardly ever seeing a deer, suirrels and rabbits were our bread and butter hunting. It also teaches good woodsmanship.

I remember reading a story by Doug Kitteridge years ago. How when he quit shooting at small game, he notice his big game harvests were not as good over the years. Take the kids on nature walks and learn to identify the flora and fauna of your area. Heck, I know season hunters that can't tell a oak from a maple.

It's fun learning, I know I still am and hope to learn more! Oh, and take the camera, we want to see pics of the family! Good shootin, Steve

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
I still keep my shooting sessions short, maybe 15 - 20 minutes.
Also, you might try a gap system where you know your hold for different distances. No matter how much time between practice sessions, your gap will have remained constant and unchanged.

these are just a couple different ideas and only my opinion.   :readit:

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
You need to reassess you priorities in hunting.  If you just have to take any shot at a big buck because he's there then this may not be your game.  But I can assure you taking a shot within your limits is immensly satisfying and conneding is a thrill.

Last year I passed on a 30 yard shot at a monster buck which all of my compound buddies would have taken.  I don't feel bad at all and feel I did the right thing.

The antihunters?  Screw them.  You are hunting legally so ignore them.  Perhaps move into heavier cover or farther from the road.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline dbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
thanks guys for your help!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©