3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snake Boots  (Read 526 times)

Offline ToxophilitePastor

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Snake Boots
« on: August 18, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
I just found out I am going to hunt hogs!!!    :archer:  My boys are taking me for my 50th birthday. We are going to GA and a fellow tradganger is going to help us. He has recommended that we bring snake boots. I've never had to deal with snakes before, so, what should I look for in a snake boot? What are you recommendations? From what I understand, we will be in water a lot of the time. Since I am not sure when I will need snake boots again, I would like to keep the cost reasonable. Thanks1
He (Jesus Christ) is before all things, and in Him all things hold together (Col. 1:17).

Moab - 64", 55@27"
Hill Cheetah - 66", 58@28"

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snake Boots
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
Gander Mountain carries a LaCrosse water-proof side zip boot that runs about $120 when they're on sale. I really like mine.  The other alternative to snake boots is a good pair of water-proof boots and snake chaps.
That's the route I'd go if hunting in snake country is not going to be a frequent experience.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
Bass pro has a pair ghat are like rubber knee highs but thicker. Water proof n snake proof. Haven't used them but sounds like what ur looking for. Can't remember cost want to say around 80.00. Also academy had similar  pair for a lot less but were seasonal. Might be back in now or check web. Hope this helps n shoot a big'n!!! Most of all enjoy the time with the kids!!!!
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
I have an old pair thet I cut small slits in near the sole for hot weather hunting. They all say waterproof but after a bit they leak. Plus the pigs will always be on the other side of the creek thats just deeper than your boots. I go on across and the water goes out the bottom of the boot . Your feet will be wet from sweat after a while anyway because I have never seen a snakeboot that was not hot. I have worn out several pair.The zip up redheads at bass pro are the best deal I`ve found at under 100 bucks.RC

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
This is why you need them ,He never even rattled.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
Black rubber work boots are cheap & suitable. As RC mentioned, they'll get wet inside anyway. I use knee high cordura or hard plastic snake chaps instead. They're easier for me than floundering around in hot wet boots. Snakes are not a problem unless you encounter one unexpected when they can strike to your knee & above. I've never been bitten and have been too close to too many snakes. They don't want to see you anymore than you want to see them. Use common sense caution & you'll be fine. Remember, they climb trees & bushes also.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
I use them all the time, not just for snakes, but all the cactus, thorns and stuff that we have here in TX.

I use the Chipewa snake books, that look like cowboy boots and fit great. They do get hot though cause they pretty much go up to your knee.

Mine are waterproof and snakeproof, and pretty comfortable for a snakeboot. You can look at them on Chipewa's website. I think I paid around 150 for them but I use them all the time for all my hunting so it's worth it to me.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Never rattled and had raised a quarter his body length from the ground and was turning toward me when I saw him 4 feet away.RC

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
Check into a pair of snake proof Muck boots. The Muck is the most comfortable rubber boot I've ever worn.   :thumbsup:

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
Man those are some huge rattle snakes.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
Pastor Mark,

We hunt some pretty snakey stuff around here in NE Oklahoma and I have hunted some of the Big Thicket areas of E. Texas. A hunting buddy turned me on to the idea of wearing the super tough hip waders, both to stay a little drier and fend off the snakes. I have looked at Cabela's and they don't seem to have them anymore. I think they were called "Brushbusters". I'm sure another manufacturer has something similar.

The ones that I own have been put to the test with everything BUT a snake strike. Barbed wire, blackberry bush, green briar. I even climed an Osage Orange tree in them once and was punctured every where else but through the hip boots.

Since you may never need snake boots again, these might fit the bill and be useful back home. Unless they would be just too cumbersome.

From the looks of the pictures of those snakes I'd be worried about them biteing me on the chin, not to mention the legs!

Good luck with your hunt.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
I use the Redhead lace-up snakeboots sold at Bass Pro Shops. They are very light(for a tall boot) and comfortable,they advertise them as waterproof but aren't. I think around $100.

I've heard snakes can't bite through rubber boots but I wouldn't want to test that theory.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
Don't even think about insulation. When it gets cold enough for that, you no longer need snake boots.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
Forgot to mention, you might want to wear sock liners...you don't need heavy socks.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline ToxophilitePastor

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
As I have read the posts and talk to some via messages, I think I am leaning toward snake chaps. DO they protect as well? What type do you recommend?
He (Jesus Christ) is before all things, and in Him all things hold together (Col. 1:17).

Moab - 64", 55@27"
Hill Cheetah - 66", 58@28"

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
IMHO....I wouldn't waste my money on snake boots.  I've lived my entire life in Texas, over half of it in W. Texas.  I grew up on a farm that was thick with rattlesnakes, water moccasins, copperheads and, rarely, coral snakes.  You learn to pay attention and to be cognizant of your surroundings.  Snake boots aren't gonna do you a bit of good if you put your hands in the wrong place.  It just takes a little common sense and you'll be fine.

I also don't believe in killing every snake that I see.  I was taught as a kid that if it wasn't endangering anyone or any of our livestock then leave it alone.  They do serve a purpose like eating rats, mice and other rodents.

One thing to remember about rattlesnakes.....they don't always rattle  :D  

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline oberon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
I would check out Russell's  snake boot.
 Oberon

Offline rod251

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
If you decide to go the boot route instead of chaps, the best deal I found was a pair of TrueTimber snake boots from Sportsman's Guide.  I think I paid $70 for them.  They wear really well for the money, IMO.  Good luck in your search.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
Snake Gaiters by Turtleskin..best investment I made.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
I've used a pair from Bass Pro..run about $100. Kept my feet dry in 6-8" of water. Will probably waterproof them again just to be safe for next time.

I use them for spring turkey hunting too. No snakes that I need to worry about where I go but they're nice and light and not too hot for warm spring days.

I see them as insurance. I'm still cognizant of where I step and such but it helps me get my mind off of worrying about snakes.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©