3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wyoming Moose Hunting?  (Read 266 times)

Offline 307wyobow

• Trad Bowhunter
Wyoming Moose Hunting?
« on: August 18, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
I have finally drawn a Wyoming moose tag after 16 years. I missed a few years in the beginning of the point system but I have finally drawn my tag. Now the work has begun and I'm researching and scouting my area. It is area 21. Basically running everything south of Jackson Hole, to Hoback Junction, up the Hoback river, up shoal creek and north again to Jackson Hole. The pressure is on and after several scouting trips, I still have only seen a few cows and a couple of small bulls. This has always been a dream of mine and I would like to harvest a trophy with my bow, but time is running out to pinpoint a good area to hunt. Does anyone have any information of that area, that may have previously hunted deer, elk, or moose? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Bush

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wyoming Moose Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
I have elk hunted just south of there near Bondurant twice.  There were several moose killed in that area we were elk hunting, but it was hit or miss.  Basically, the moose hunters just glassed the willows from afar for hours a day, and hopefully get lucky.  Those big moose are almost invisible in that thick willow.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
No specific help bud, but when the rut starts cranking up the bigger bulls will show up so pay attention to where you've seen the cows.

Hope someone comes on who can give more specific advise.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
That is a tough moose area.  I lived in Jackson for a while and hunted it for deer and elk a lot.  I would just cruise around and talk to other hunters and you might find something.  The majority of the moose are south and west of there.

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
Does your area take in anything around Pinedale?

John

Offline woodworker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
Congrats on the tag,
     been a while since I have been in the area but going back and forth over Teton Pass, just west of Wilson I saw several moose during the rut along that route.  Long story but; was staying in Teton Village and hunting west of Victor Idaho for elk, so I got to see a lot of landscape back and forth.  I am not sure if this falls within your area but figured I would add my two cents worth.  That area did not seem to be your traditional willows and such but the moose were rutting and searching.  Good luck to you,  Joe

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
I am a tad familiar with that country.  My hunch is that some of the best moose country is some of the private land along Dell Creek and Jack Creek.  My other thought was shoal creek but you have already been there.  I still wouldn't rule that out.  That is just real "gamey" country all together and you should find animals there.  I lived in Pinedale for a while and traveled the road a lot.  

I always saw a lot of moose towards Rim Draw, and North Fisherman, but I think that is out of your unit.  I would spend some time on the forest service land that borders the private land along Jenny Creek, Jack Creek, and west of Raspberry Ridge.  It always seemed I would see cows and calves along the creeks in summer and early fall, and like Whip said, as soon as the second week of September hits the bulls come out of the timber and start cruising for cows along the main creeks.  I used to see some good bulls pretty high, all by themselves, while scouting for deer and elk in August.  Don't panic yet.  Find "moosey" looking areas and come the rut spend a lot of time on a high spot overlooking the willows and you will see bulls.

Nathan

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
Hey Jake congrats on your tag. You are one of the few lucky ones. I dont know much about that area but have had the privledge to go on several moose hunts in the last few years. In those hunts I have learned a few things.

If you can get in there before it freezes hard the bigger bulls are not hard to find. If not they go in the timber until they start to rut. Glass alot cover the country. As mentioned before watch the cows the bulls will come to them.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Hello,
We just got back from 8 days of camping around the area that you are talking about. We did not see one single moose the whole time !!! and beleive me, we looked. Those damm wolves have literally removed most of the moose in the area. I'm not expecting to see a moose season over in that area within a few years after talking to a local game warden. I'm sure you'll find something if you look hard enough. Good luck
j yenney

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©