3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: File sharpening frustration  (Read 678 times)

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
File sharpening frustration
« on: August 18, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
I use a Lansky and get my heads sharp enough to shave without touching the skin.  It's a great system for me but I wanted to add file sharpening for touch ups in the field.  

I've watched the videos in the how to section but I can not get an edge much sharper than a butter knife.  I'm not even to a point yet where I feel there is a need to remove the wire edge for final sharpening.

I'm using an 8" mill file that is brand new.  Bought it last night.  Do I have the wrong file?  I painted the edge with a marker and used the file like in the videos.  Pretty, shiny steel results but the edge is pitiful.

Any advice or even better a fellow Arkansas that uses a file that can give me some hands on training?
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: File sharpening frustration
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
Single Cut mill bastard....lines go only one way across the file
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
The lines only go one way.  At least it is the right kind of file.  Must be the way I'm using it.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
It's all about keeping the angle through the process.  Patience....it takes patience.  Cut with the edge on one side, then turn over and cut into the edge, using the same angle.  I use the ferrule for a guide (lightly touching it) and you can get a burr very quickly.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
Pac, I just e-mailed you a short(?) article I wrote a while back on file sharpening.  It's kinda wordy, but I hope it helps.  There is also a couple of sharpening how-to clips in that forum and Tom Mussatto has a good one on his web page, if I can find the address.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
George is right about the angle,its important to keep it constant on both sides. Also you can put some chalk on your file so it don't load up with metal that your takeing off. A file is all Fred Bear uesd....it just takes some time to get it down.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
don't press hard with the file.  Soft and easy does it.
ChuckC

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
I added a diamond card to my "in the field" head touch up stuff. They are only the size of a credit card and will get that edge back. I even use it right before going to stropping with leather. Just let the weight of the card do the work.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Weasel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »
I used to have the same problem until Dean Torges showed me how it's done.

You might be using too much pressure. The last few strokes on either side should basically be just the weight of the file as pressure.  It doesn't take much.  

Jerry
I have a free roaming, ranging mind -- sometimes it reports back to me...
---------------------------

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 02:18:00 AM »
I also use a lansky, have since I started...I also carry the system in the field with me as most of my hunts are backpack style hunts.

I've longed for cutting a few more ounces by leaving that hole system at home and havin a quick touch up system in the field, maybe a pair of ceramic sticks at my finish angle...sure would be nice!  

I could never use a file...Have seen some fantastic file sharpeners at work even had a couple TRY and teach me..ya no cigar...lanksy is just to perfect in every way.  

For my field kit I carry the medium and extra fine for touchups...usually can get by with just he extra fine ceramic....if I shoot one I'll have to use the medium first lightly.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
Funny, I can't get anything sharp with the Lansky, but can do the heads fairly well with a file.  I can do a head with a file in less than 5 minutes, but I can work a head for 20 minutes with the Lansky and it ends up more dull than when I started.

Offline string bean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stinger:
Funny, I can't get anything sharp with the Lansky, but can do the heads fairly well with a file.  I can do a head with a file in less than 5 minutes, but I can work a head for 20 minutes with the Lansky and it ends up more dull than when I started.
Looks like we are in the same boat with the Lansky.

I tried the file thing a couple of nights ago and it worked out pretty dang good but it might have been beginners luck.  I didn't really put any pressure on it other than the weight of the file but it was taking the marker off so I figured it was working.
It's not about the kill but the experience.

Omega Royal Huntsman
Crowned Eagle
Black Hunter
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
Have you watched "Castaway"?  You know the scene where Tom hanks is trying to build a fire for the 1st time and just can't quit get it?  That's where I am with sharpening with a file.  I made this clip in hopes that someone will see it and say, "Well there's your problem right there."

USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline huntindad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
I don't have much experienc but you might have better luck if you clamp the broadhead in a vise or attach the file to a table.This will take some of the possibility of inconsistency away.Again I am not speaking from vast experience here just spitballin.Bill
The days spent hunting cannot be deducted from  the span of your life's time.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
Some folks that have tried to help said they were having difficulties with a Lansky.  I made this today to see if I could help them out with this method.  I edited it from 15 minuets to 8 minutes but it should get the idea across.

Part 1 (5 min)

Part 2 (3 min)

USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
You're doing it in your lap...and the head or file is not stable. Any pressure from your file hand causes the head to move away. It's curling all right.

Go to a stair railing, or a fence, or a table.

Hold the head on the edge of the table..run the file on it so the head won't move. It's as simple as that. Once the head is stable you'll see that edge come to a little foil pretty quick.

Strop on your jeans, or a piece of cardboard gently, until that foil falls off...back and forth till it just breaks loose. STOP!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
Pac... I watched your video and here's my take on it.

As Ray said, support the hand that holds the broadhead. I usually lay mine on my right (for a right hander like you) thigh/knee.
I can adjust the blade angle easily and let the knuckles of the file hand brush along my thigh so it holds a consistent angle.

You are keeping your wrist straight with the file and that's good.

If you are getting a burr then you are really where you want to be. You just need to remove the burr.
That can be accomplished by draw filing or making a few light strokes on a ceramic stick or fine stone.
I carry a small crock stick in my field sharpening kit that's always with me when hunting.

As soon as you get the burr removed, do like Ray said and STOP.

Don't get discouraged, you are real close!!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
Whoo-hooo!!!!  :jumper:   I finally got it to shave hair. Holding it stable against my computer desk was a big help.  But dang it's going to be heavy to pack around with me in the woods.

I didn't have a ceramic stick but I did have a tungsten welding rod.  I finished the edge with that and bingo.  

I was expecting to get the blade hair shaving sharp with just the file.  Have to look up draw filing to see what that is and give it a try on another head.

Anyone need a lop sided broadhead for shooting around corners?
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline leftybearfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the Lansky video. I use a Smith's sharpening system (basically just like a Lansky) and learned a lot from watching you. I have to use a steeper angle (25 degrees) due to the stone hitting the ferrule, but using your sequence really helped.
"It's easier to do the right thing, than to explain why you didn't."

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
"Well there's your problem right there."

I totally agree with Ray and Charlie; I would add that you should not be filing twice on each side - but only once on each side.

Think about it.   :)

I have been sharpening zwickeys for decades; and I can get them shaving sharp in a few minutes (although sometimes it take an hour!!)    :banghead:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©