3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: File sharpening frustration  (Read 677 times)

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: File sharpening frustration
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
boy we do that lansky system almost EXACTLY the same LOL!  

I dont ever use the fine, I skip right to the extra fine and I finish up the same way.

I will add, I start with a extra course diamond.  I think the stone handle is a light purple color.   It REALLY knocks the time down on getting the angle to the dangle on a new head.  SO I buy the cheap set of 3 stones...non diamond type..then add the diamond course and the extra fine...and use all but the fine.

And like you I'd love to find a way to be able to touch up a head in the field without destroying my angles..or the head itself LOL!

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
I always had a tough time sharpening two blade broadheads with a file because of an inconsistent angle until I ran into Blake Fisher of Eclipse Broadheads at a PBS gathering in San Antonio a few years back.  He sells a tool called an “ARROW GRABBER” which is a piece of plastic shaped like an arrow with an arrowhead with a grove in it that prevents the broadhead from moving while using the file.  If you use bleeders it has a slot for them so they don’t have to be removed.  For me it made stabilizing the broadhead and therefore sharpening them, a lot easier so I bought a couple of them, one for my archery room and the other for my truck.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
Pac,

A filed edge will kill, but it ain't what you would call shaving sharp.  I carry a medium grip diamond stone along with my file.  Three, maybe four strokes on a side after filing is really all it takes to complete the edge.  I don't use the file again unless I've nicked the edge.

I prefer a diamond hone to a stone or even a ceramic stick because you don't need any kind of lubricant and you can clean the hone on your jeans.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
After last night's success I tried to sharpen another head about 15 minutes ago.  I used Charlie's method of holding the head on top of my knee since I can't lug my computer desk with me in the woods.

I paid close attention to keeping my wrist straight and drug my knuckles across my thigh.  It really worked great. 15 minutes later and Taataaaa.  Shaving hair.  

Thanks folks.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
Outstanding!  It took me awhile as well, but once I figured it out, I wondered why everyone didn't do it.   I use the inside of my leather belt to remove the burr.  What would we do without our Charley Lamb.  Two thumbs up.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
In the field, just use a log, a tree, a tree limb, your knee..there are all kinds of solid objects you can rest that head on.

That arrow grabber is great for double bevel heads.

I just do without it since I use single bevels and just run the flat side of the head across the file to remove the burr that's created by pulling the head across the file on the beveled side.

I spent a lot of years sharpening Zwickeys and Magnus 1's in the field...and my knee, or the side of my shoe tucked up under me were always available to keep the steady angle.

Glad you got it figured out. If you keep after it you will be able to get it surgical with little effort...just don't give up.

When the country breaks down as the economy fails and we all have to resort to being subsistence hunters and gatherers-being able to use a file in the field will pay big dividends.

Could mean the difference between your family eating well and having to become vegetarians.

How's that for a prediction?  :thumbsup:
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
I had much the same experience as you. I could not get 2-blade heads sharp to save my life using a file or stone. I re-watched Charlie on the TG video and decided to give it another try. I am not sure what I did differently other than using lighter pressure but I can finally get them sharp enough to shave. I still need alot more experience because sometimes they sharpen up easily and sometimes it takes me quite a while(not consistent technique) but at least I feel like I can get them sharp if needed.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
Pac - thanks for the vid on the Lansky.  I'm going to try it tonight.  I think my problem may have been not enough oil and pressing down to firmly.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
I'm no expert, but I notice in your flick that when you file the broadhead, on each edge one side gets filed towards the centerline of the shaft, while (after you rotate the the arrow) the other side of that edge gets filed away from the centerline.
I always seem to roll up a burr on the backside of the edges when I stroke away from the center line. I can feel it with my fingernail as a lip.
Maybe turn the arrow around so the head is lying over your wrist instead of your knee for one side of each edge, so that all strokes are toward the center? See if that helps.

Offline animalistic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
could someone tell me where i can see Charlie sharpening 2 blade heads on the TG video?

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
Two part video in the 'How To - Resources' forum, in the forums list.  Here is a link to the post:   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000095
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline animalistic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
thanks ray!

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
I would suggest an even smaller file , maybe a six incher...It will have finer teeth.  The next thing that would really help you is a fine quality knife steele (smooth no ridges). A few strokes with the file to true the edges and then go to the steele (get a guy at the butcher shop to teach you how to use the steele.)  It will burnish the edge and compress the metal on the edge and you will be surprised how sharp they will be!
You could also get crock sticks and finish with them and light strokes! Other than that, it is trial and error and PRACTICE!  
With a two blade head it is a snap to get them sharp like this.  If you want to do even better use a polishing compound with a leather strop and you can put a mirror finish on the edge which will cut you if you look at it!  
I will add that the arrowsheads will dull from just carrying them around.  If you will use a steele properly on them at this point, you can touch them up without removing any metal.  The steele just straightens the edge and it will be sharp again.  Hope this helps.
Your file in the vidio is bigger than I use.  Smaller files have smaller cutting teeth, and use light very light strokes!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2009, 08:03:00 AM »
I carry a duo fold diamond in the field for touch up.  It's compact and easy and if the head is already sharp, it just takes a few strokes with the course and a few with the fine and your good too go.

We have the duo folds in stock.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©