3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SPIKE IT!...Camp set ups....  (Read 3275 times)

Offline Ken999

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SPIKE IT!...Camp set ups....
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »
Kifaru Supertarp-Annex-Small stove...

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »
Ken999, what is that shiny long thing next to your pack?  Awww, heck, at least it has wood!  Those Kifaru tents are GREAT, huh?
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ken999

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »
yeah...I know...didn't have any pic's handy w/ the Shrew laying beside it, but none-the-less...it's my Spike camp and I'm sticking too it...  :D  

I've had good luck with my Kifaru gear. That's one of their packs on the other side of that shiny long thing...that pack will carry more weight than I can...that's for sure...

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 12:49:00 AM »
ya gotta wait till Wingnut gets back for expo.  He has had 20 of spike camp experience.  he is full of good tips.

I can tell ya the good WATER FILTER is the best thing ya can have with ya.  

Not in a spike camp but at base camp javie hunting I had a 4 man Kifrau set up during a storm.  the storm took down the cook tent, wrecked one hunters tent and knocked down another.  Kifaru was laying way to the lee but stayed put and morning saw her up right and standing.  doesn't weight a lot.  

don't be a fool.  if ya are a couple of old geezer make sure you hit spike camp with at least one young strong fellow even if ya have to pay his way.  Might be the cheapest insurance ya ever bought  :)   stuff can happen way out yonder.

rusty

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
That was a heck of a wind storm that year hey Rusty??.....Blew steady up there this year but not as hard as that one....... I've used a variety of spike camps over the years some as simple as pine bows and a space blanket..... I always have enough stuff in my day pack to hold me through a night or two..... A candle is a great item to have.... Only takes one match to light and will get a fire started and give you some light....... A simple tarp draped over a low branch has also served as a home away from home.........I also like to use my truck as a spike camp....... If I have base camp set up, especially Elk hunting, but the action is down the road a spell..... I'll load up a tarp and my sleeping bag and a foam pad and move down the road........ A tarp over the bed will keep you dry and the pad will keep you comfy for a night or two..... A single burner propane stove.... the type that screws onto a little propane bottle will get ya up and going with a quick breakfast....... Rusty makes a good point on a water filter they are worth their weight in gold...... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
I really like to have something bigger than me nearby.  Rarely do I set up where I am not under something.  I really like my little REI Sololite tent.  That's my hunting buddy Steve's tarp setup in the background

Sometimes I set up a silnylon tarp vestibule.  It helps to keep the claustrophobia down in bad weather.  
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
ttt
I'm either nosey or curious....depends on who you talk to  ;)    :jumper:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the new SilNylon tarps. They are ultra light and serve all kinds of purposes when camping.

Here I used one strung over a bivvy shelter for added protection from the weather....rain.

In porcupine country be careful what you leave on the ground. They like anything salty and that includes anything leather or pack straps, etc.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
Like Rusty said... a water filter is a must. This is a cool pic, taken years ago, but today it could cause real bad intestinal stuff... REAL BAD!!!

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
I'm lovin' this thread....keep 'em comin'! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2007, 07:00:00 AM »
Turkey Camp last year.

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2007, 07:18:00 AM »
Now your braggin, Roger.  Nice bird!
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2007, 07:24:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:  

The 12 year old boy in the chair killed it...his first hunt ever.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »
Don't forget that keeping warm at night is important for a happy camp. The cold at night doesn't come from above as much as from below. If you're bivouacing, take a tip from the animals that live there and build a nest. In other words get yourself off the ground, using brush and dried leaves. I usually fill my bivvy with nest materials and then push my sleeping bag and pad in on top. Your weight will press it down but still give that air gap. I once pegged my tarp against a bank and filled it. I woke up next morning with about four inches of snow on top of the tarp, but I was snug and warm inside.
Graham

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
When I lived in Colorado years ago I hunted mainly by myself.  I had an old Ford 4x4 with a camper shell that I built a bed and storage area under the bed that held the cooler, stove, etc..
Camp was mobile and I could go from mountain to mountain no problem.  I've had Mulies within 50 yards of my rig.  Man do I miss the mountains!!
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
In 2005 two of us used these tents in Colorado on and elk hunt.  We were comfortable at 9000 feet in some cool weather.  One is a Kifaru eight man and the other is a North Face VE 25 (a real bomb shelter in bad weather).

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/ClearFork/DavesTent.jpg[/IMG]

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/ClearFork/68090036.jpg[/IMG]
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
Well, that worked great!
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Offline Tony Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
Here you go Goose.

Tony Phillips
“What we do in life echoes in eternity”

56" Striker Stinger
52" Saluki Scythian
54" Saluki Turk

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »
OK, thanks Tony!
Goose

Offline Sneakypete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
Iron Bull -- I ain't no masochist, but man do I relate to your idea of hunting! Less is more! We are dedicated to killing our brothers and sisters of the wild -- so why shouldn't we be willing if not eager to suffer a bit in the doing? More invested, more earned! That said, I think I could improve a bit on your pictured camp without going soft!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©