3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SPIKE IT!...Camp set ups....  (Read 3273 times)

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: SPIKE IT!...Camp set ups....
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
I did the tarp hunting thing quite a bit, and still do if the weather is reliable, but you and your bag/gear can wind up getting pretty darned wet in sustained windy, snotty weather.  For one night it's no problem, but on sustained hunts your bag just gets damper and damper.  I wound up buying a GoLite Hex3 teepee--about $230 now, 2 lbs, 5.5' high, sleeps two or even three.  You can set it up from inside during a storm, you can stand up to dress, etc.  Pretty darned nice. Sorry, no photos, but you can Google it. I'm thinking of buying a second one, sewing a stovepipe vent into it, and buying one of those tiny TiGoat or Kifaru stoves...that would be unbelievably cushy as the weather turns cold and the nights get long.  You could actually use those long nights to cook stews...I might never come back...
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
When I started bowhunting over 50 years ago rough back country camping was an adventure. Back then you could drink out of streams that were away from civilization without worry.

As I got older the tents got bigger and more comfortable with small wood stoves to keep you warm.

Now my idea of a spike camp is a snug cabin, a warm stove, and a comfortable chair.    :D

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »
I tried out the Kifaru paratipi on my last western hunt.  I knew a storm was coming so I set up under a pine tree, but laying in the bag that night worrying about the tree during the storm wasn't too fun.  There was plenty of room and this fall I'm adding the small stove.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/SCJeff/west%2006/101_0039.jpg
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
I carry a bit of rope and a small tarp in my pack, although in my area I usually dont plan on a spike camp. BUT if I end up out there for a night (temporarlily confused about my location  :knothead:  ) I want to be sure to be able to make my stay comfortable as possible.

It is not much but can make a lean-to out of it.

Other than that when I camp I have a formal tent.

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »
Like what I've read so far.
Still wondering though,if you had a canoe; a chance to stay a nite or two..how would you plan for a camp?
I'm thinking about putting in on a 10,000 acre resevoir and pickin up on the other end or side..
does this still qualify as a spike camp?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline JStark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
I'm waiting to hear from canoe camping folks, too.
Through education, appreciation;
through appreciation, protection.

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
I have certainly slept under a propped up canoe on more than one night...Those grumans hold heat really well when you build up around the down side gunnel with sand and place fire in front..
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
When I was younger I used a tarp with a nylon hammock.  Next to no weight and kept you off the damp ground. I hear there are some integrated  systems  like that now.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
Up for another run....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
My method for great spike camp hunting is to find out where Whip is going to be and show up bringing gifts!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
This was in the late '70's,maybe 1980-back pack hunt.On extended trips like this one (one week)I used the 2 man Northface tent.It had enough room to keep my bow and pack inside and enough room that I could dress in there if I had to.

The fire ring was from someone else.I never used fires,only a backpack stove.I prefer a site about a mile from where I will hunt,prefereably tucked back in,not in plain sight.The ground you sleep on has to be level.This particular area is very windy most of the time so some trees for a break from the wind helps but you need to check for any dead ones that might potentially blow down.

I like the site to not be in a low spot where water might drain to but a water source nearby for drinking water and washing is a good thing when you can get it.You have to be aware that some creeks with steep ridges on either side can flash flood during hard rains.

I used a very slim,light,down mummy bag in those days with a small,half length foam pad for a mattress.The back pack stove was a Swedish made Svea,which I still have and is still,a heck of a stove.On shorter trips I used a tiny,one man tent that wasn't much bigger than a bivvy sack-only room to crawl in and sleep,or a nylon tarp.

The bow in the picture is a 54" Bighorn that G Fred built for me,the second year he was in business.I think that was the first year I hunted with it.I still have that one too.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
JStark, my son and I canoe camped for years but it was summer fishing trips but the camping aspect is the same.  

I used a 2 man Eureka Timberline tent, 10x10 nylon tarp, 2 aluminum collapsible poles, rope and tent spikes.  A must do when canoe camping on a river is to put everything in dry bags made for canoe camping, food, clothing, equipment in case of a spill.  At least your sleeping gear and food won't get wet.

Here is the basic camp.

For cooking I had a little backpacking white gas stove 323 Optimus Rider.  Took a coffee pot, small pot to heat water, squirrel cooker, plates, cups,knives and forks and food that didn't require lots of work like hot dogs, sausage, beans, coffee cake, lunch meat,PB&J etc.

Main emphasis was on waterproofing everything in case of a spill and then weight.  Most fun we ever had doing 3 day float trips down the Shenandoah river catching 100 bass/day.

You can see how loaded the canoe was. It was a 17'3" Old Town Tripper.  Yes, the faithful lab went too.

Thanks for asking the question.  I work with Jeff and his wife in their business 2 days/week and I forget how much fun we use to have together when he was a carefree boy.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
I do a bunch of canoe camping down this way. You can actually get pretty luxurious when you've got a boat to carry all your gear! tents, hammocks, chairs, COOLERS! Just have to keep most everything in dry bags or tied into the boat in case of an unplanned swim.
I'm going to try and draw a quota hunt for fisheating creek WMA this year. Its boat only access and judging by the last couple of years. Water levels will make it canoe only. paddle upstream for a couple of days and I should be all alone.
At any rate, heres a few pics of various canoe camps from the last couple of years..
    http://cdn-2-service.phanfare.com/images/external/2655273_1634654_18009585_Web_3/0_0_80b93b3bb8c35c67d38ea5dd3cbbd440_1  
   http://cdn-2-service.phanfare.com/images/external/2655273_2018428_27326978_Web_3/0_0_181a639c60e05d89fac00a3aca00e713_1  

http://cdn-2-service.phanfare.com/images/external/2655273_1822757_22633146_Web_3/0_0_53ae1e2ecba3bf5c04c68ef4c1866a32_1
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
My current tent is an MSR Zoid 1,which is a fairly roomy 1 man.I can get the bow inside but the pack stays outside.It is a simple matter to cover the pack with a garbage bag or waterproof pack cover.With a "footprint" and everything,it weighs 3 lbs 12 oz.The cool thing about some of these modern tents is a second option which they call the "fast and light pitch".In that case,you leave the main tent body home.The rain fly is used as your shelter,along with the poles and pegs.The "footprint" which normally goes under the tent,now becomes the floor of your shelter.I can't remember the exact weight of the "fast and light pitch" but I believe it is less than 2 lbs but keep in mind,it is not bug proof.The bug netting is in the tent body itself.Still,a neat option for traveling light if bugs aren't an issue.

I still use a light,down,mummy bag by Western Mountaineering but it is a much roomier cut.I would suffocate if I tried to sleep in the old,Slimline bag.It adds a few ounces but I insist on a bag with a full length zipper.It just adds so much temperature range to the bag to be able to open it ful length on warm nights or close it fully when it is cold.A waterproof stuff bag for the down bag is a good idea.That,a good shelter and a little common sense,are all you need to keep the bag dry.I like the down bags for lightness and wide temperature comfort range and have never spent a night in a wet one,in 40 years.I don't mean to knock synthetic ones.They have come a long ways and there are quite a few excellent ones.

I now use a full length,insulated,inflateable sleeping pad by Big Agnes.It weighs a little more than that tiny thing I used to use when I was tougher but is way more comfortable and worth every penny and every extra ounce.

I still have the old Svea stove but have also been trying out a new Jetboil which is a self contained,stove,fuel container,insulated pot with it's own ignition system.So far,I like it very much.Very efficient and very fast boil time which conserves fuel.

Instead of the old aluminum pot and cup,I now use titanium.Titanium "spork" also.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
The rain fly in the picture,is tied back but when extended and zipped,it forms a vestible where you can store pack and bow,out of the weather or cook if you need to.

Offline iacornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
Great thread. I am glad it has come back to life. I always enjoy looking at camp setups. It gives me many ideas, and I like ideas! Has anyone done a DIY bivi type sleeping bag cover? One that your bag fits in and a flap comes up over over your head that you can stake out and make a rain fly? That is my next project.
Choose ye this day whom you shall follow, as for me and my household we shall follow the LORD.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
I always enjoy camp pics. Thanks for sharing.

Have never been "spike camping" but would love to give it a try.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
well I like to take horses when ever I can.

In this pic at the bottom the hill behind us is where we were hunting sheep..about 3 miles. Piece of cake with horses.

Main thing is water and good grass for the horses ALWAYS THEY COME FIRST.

I picket them at night after we give them a good feed away from camp (keep the grass close to camp for the night munching). If you feed them real good and then picket them with a ten foot lead they are good for the night.

Nothing worse than a hungry horse at night to keep you up. Then next night I picket them in the same spot but give them 5 more feet of rope (if you don't they just mash the grass down and won't eat it anyway). This gives them a circle to eat everynight.

NEXT US: I like having trees and firewood, but we can haul firewood with the horses.

About every 3 to 4 days you need to move for feed for the horses. Other than that we try to get as close to the game as we can without disturbing them a good spotting scope is a must especially for sheep when they have to be full curl rams.

Nothing worse than trudging up a mountain doing a stock and finding out that they aren't legal.

I don't find the game up here care much about us...on horseback. I put my bow over my head when we see caribou and act like I have antlers and you can walk right up to them if your horse is ok with that.

Here's a pic of my horse Banjo. I have a pack a saddle system on him....it's a packsaddle type that slings over your riding saddle.

This is great. He carries the whole camp and when you get there you have your regular saddle to use.

He has the tipi tent - machete - saw - shotgun - bow - arrows - camping gear - food for ten days - 20 pounds of oats -  - titanium woodstove sleeping bag and a tarp and all the ropes and gear you need for him.

He gets a bit lonely when I go solo (they love another animal around...Guess after a few days I look more like bigfoot so he settles in better then TEE HEE.

I like to go with another person and two extra horses but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

I am sure you have all seen this pic before but I love this tent for my camp..

Jer Bear

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
JimB,
That setup is just about exactly what I use for my backcountry adventures. Great little tents. Coupled with a nice down bag like your Western Mountaineering or I use a Marmot Helium, I'm snug as a bug in all kinds of conditions.

Enjoying this thread. Keep it coming.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
Has anyone ever used the Hennessy tents??? Just bought one ....
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©