3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SPIKE IT!...Camp set ups....  (Read 3276 times)

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SPIKE IT!...Camp set ups....
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2010, 03:00:00 AM »
Some from south-east Alps ... a kind Land rover camp site ... i wish i can try one day wiyh horses ... but so far i feel this animal don't like me    :D  

:wavey:
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2010, 03:32:00 AM »
Our lease where we hunt doesn't have any type of cabin or anything so we always camp whenever we go. I have done so many solo trips with just the hammock and tarp rig that I had to switch trees because I was effecting the growth of the bark at my favorite spot.

When the wife goes, we use a tent to sleep in and a simple tarp rig for shade or getting out of the weather. The tent is 10X10 and has room to sleep and keep gear in. I have two 10X20 heavy duty tarps that I can configure in many ways.

This picture is from the last OJAM but shows the tent and our tarp set-up for foul weather.

I can set up the tarp as just a typical roof shaped shelter, take one side all the way to the ground or use the second tarp to close off one end if the weather gets rough like it did on this trip.

When camping out of the truck, everything has its own duffel and I bring poles I made from eight foot lengths of closet pole. It all weighs less (not counting stakes and poles) than my Dutch Oven.

When we canoe camp and fish/hunt, I have an eight gallon barrel with a waterproof top that everything stuffs into to stay dry. I have another for sleeping bags and other bedding. You can buy backpack harness/straps for portages and general carry, but I made my own for much cheaper. I leave the poles at home and string everything up with line. Works perfect.

This isn't a backpacking setup, not meant to be. I have little bitty tents for that, but they aren't as comfortable for long term activity and are TERRBBLE if the weather keeps you in for a day or so.

I will see if I can find some more pictures of camps.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2010, 03:49:00 AM »
a other camp, good friends place

the first day, the weather was ok

difficult in this place to find flat camping area

and the tipi very warm, a bit to much ...

but during the second night every thing was very quite, to quite ...

and the wake up was cold !!

and finaly the temperature was just perfect in the tipi !!

save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
great idea, terry! i am a reborn trad and glad to be back! sorry i left so many years ago! i just ordered a new bow and am very excited to see lots of talk about trad hunting! thanks guys/gals!

kenny
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
This was our camp in the San Juan Mountains of SW Colorado north of Durango on an elk hunt in 2006. We hiked in 4 miles, down from a 10,000' ridge into the Salt Creek drainage to our camp at about 9,000'. The second pic is from a red rock outcropping above the Salt Creek drainage and a few hundred feet above camp. The third pic is one of the attractions of the area we were in.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
man you guys are rugged.  I thought I was rugged but you guys totally got me beat.

spring turkey camp.  Which is also the same set up we use when it is cold except we have a kerosene heater in there.  

the tent is inside that monster.  We only use that for when we have about 5 hunters.  

it is healthy mixture of PVC pipe and blue tarp, dad calls it big blue, lol.  A real pain to set up, but definatly the mostl comforatable I have been in the woods
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
Some great looking camps you all have.  I just got myself a great range tent -  http://cowboycamp.net/cowboy_range.htm

Gives all the protection of a wall tent (treated canvas) but with a waterproof floor and incredibly fast/easy set up (4 stakes and 2 exterior poles).  I got the 12'x12' for camping/hunting with my boys/friends.

Like some have already said, when hiking around, I generally carry a tarp w/ a decent amount of 550 cord for the "just in case" moments in life.  If you want some cheap 550, I got a big roll for about $12 bucks from  http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?catid=169
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
I use hammock on warm weather spike camps usually run a cold camp cooking with pocket rocket just backpack in
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
Ron, a couple of pages back you had a picture of the inside of your cabin and the woodstove.. I lived in an old frame house for 35 years that was well ventilated in the winter.. About 25 years ago I put a Lopi woodstove in it that looks exactly like the one in your picture.. I could load that baby up with seasoned liveoak and it would keep the house warm all night. It was an amazing stove.. About 5 years ago I moved into a bit more modern home that has a therastat. Sure is easy to warm the house with that.. What will they think of next !!

Offline nel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
I absolutely LOVE these kinds of threads...

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
I would say take a one man tent or a bivy tarp in good weather.  A warm sleeping bag, small stove, food, cooking pot and water purifier.  Take along a fishing rod and some lures too.  I hunt out of my boat all the time and overnighting is easy enough.  I take along a cot and put up the tarp tent on the boat itself since it is big enough to sleep on.

I park it in a sheltered cove or stream where the boat won't rock around on my.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline stickhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
As the years go by I seam to like my comforts a little more. going into Elk camp last year

Offline Two Dogs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
Deep in the heart of the Adirondacks.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by nel:
I absolutely LOVE these kinds of threads...
I'm right there with you - nothing like a couple great pics of hunting camps!!
   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Support the sport!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
...and the horse I rode out on...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
This is just a cool thread.. Love the pics!

I'm ready to go spike camp "somewhere"... LOL

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
I'm just a beginner when it comes to spike camp hunting, but I have a few options for camps.
LAst fall I boated out to a remote island that holds a fair number of deer and set up this camp-

This camp was comfy for a mid October hunt of a couple days duration. This year I am going for a week, and will be staying in this-

...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
its my favourite way too hunt ! i have a similiar hunt coming up in three weeks ...i'll get some pics , and hopefully a deer .....
Jerry ... nice ponies brother ... kinda look like mine but prettier .
Ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Renacs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
Hey Billy i've been camping hunting out of canoes and kayaks my whole life.  We usually just pack our packs as if we was hiking and load them in. Plus with the boat we have extra room for a cooler filled with beer, and food.  Now day were getting softer and bring along chairs.  I always have a vapor barrier to put under the tent or sleeping bag, and we make a point to try too stay above the dew. Always check the trees in the area.  One time in duck camp a beaver about fell a hugh cotton wood on my brother and i in the middle of the night.  Talk about a rude awakening.  And in my opion. coffee pot and a hatchet are two thing i always have.
smooth seas never made a skillful sailer.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
"coffee pot and a hatchet are two thing      i always have"  
Amen to that mate !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©