3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How well does your removable bow quiver stay put?  (Read 562 times)

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
How well does your removable bow quiver stay put?
« on: August 19, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »
I need to add a bow quiver to my one piece recurve to add a little overall physical weight to the bow itself and was wondering if there are bow quivers out there that stay put. I was leaning towards an EFA because total weight with 3 or 4 arrows needs to be around 10 or 12 ounces, and I think that should fit the bill. I also like the idea of being able to remove the quiver if needed for transport. So how well does your removable quiver stay put and does anybody know of another 4 arrow job that will ony weigh 10 or 12 ounces when full of arrows? One side question, do you ever have problems with the fletching hitting after the shot, what I mean is do the arrows in the quiver have plenty of clearance so the fletching doesn't hit each other from the shock left in the bow when fired?
Thanks,
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How well does your removable bow quiver stay put?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »
My favorite is the Great Northern strap-on.  It is quiet, doesn't slip, holds five arrows, and gives great fletching clearance.  It is a super quiver!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »
I use the EFA 4 arrow quiver(Cherokee model I think). It stays put, is super light, and gives enough clearance for feathers.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
Check out John Dill's line - Annawakee Archery.

Kinda like buying Safari Tuff gear from Rod Jenkins.  If John swears by it.....you can bet your last coin it's quality and tested.

His removable quiver mounting system is rock-solid.

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
I use the 3-Rivers mini-boa...awesome quiver. Holds 4 arrows and lots of clearance.  Great customer service!!
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline Lindsay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by stick_string:
I use the 3-Rivers mini-boa...awesome quiver. Holds 4 arrows and lots of clearance.  Great customer service!!
Same Same.  :thumbsup:

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
I've been using the Mini-Boa with great results.  Holds 4 arrows and doesn't slip one bit.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
I have both the cherokee and the great northern.Great northern is in a class by its self.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Kanati Angle Quiver is a little bit heavier but rock solid.  Even big Snuffers shoved in and out stay put under repeated shooting. The hood completely covers the biggest of heads and the adjustable angle keeps your nocks out of the dirt on shorter bows.  Great Quiver.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
+1 on the GN strap-on

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
Great Northern are hard to bear....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
I honestly didn't like the EFA. It may work well on limbs with a thinner width like a longbow, but it didn't work very well on an old Pearson I had. I had to keep tightening up the velcro as the whole quiver would slip down the limb. I think this is because the limbs of the Pearson were really wide.

I took it to one 3d shoot and had a lot of problems.

Bow quivers just aren't my cup of tea anyway. If I were to buy another one it would be a Selway or a 2-point Boa.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
Notch a couple more marks in the Great Northern Strap-on column.  I have one for me and one for my son.  They do hold 5 arrows but you could just use four.  I use 6 arrows in mine, sliding an extra broadhead between the foam and leather.  There is enough friction there to hold that first arrow I shoot in place quite firmly.  The rubber straps stretch around your fadeouts and hold tightly with no slip. I shoot a shrew classic hunter, but it will not matter what design of bow you shoot, they are adjustable to fit the length of your riser.  My bows are dead in the hand and there is no perceptible vibration of the bow or arrows.

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
The eagle flight quiver with the new straps does not move but is easily removed when needed. A very good choice you can't go wrong.LCH

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
I agree with everyone who suggested the Great Northern. They're stable, silent, extremely durable and don't slip.

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
Anyone got a weight on the GN quiver itself, the website says 8oz but I thought I'd ask here to be sure.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
My recommendation is the Great Northern.  I have had (and sold all of them) Boa's, EFA's, and Selway’s, hands down the Great Northern out preformed all of them.  To keep the topic from being pulled I will be nice and not go into some of my experiences one of the first three mentioned.

The one thing I do not like about the G/N (and a couple of the others) is the foam they use in their hood, it is noisy when removing and repacing an arrow and the factory located holes in the foam are too close to the outer edges, which can cause the feather to rub on each other, especially if you use large feathers.  Fist thing I do is replace the factory foam with high density foam from the local kayak/canoe dealer ($1.75) and place my broadheads as close together as possible in the center of the foam.  This spreads the feathered ends of the arrows farther apart, thus eliminating the feathers from rubbing on each other.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
There are a lot of good quivers available, each with it's advantages and disadvantages. At Eagle's Flight Archery we make the lightest weight quiver with the premium quality materials. Our goal is to provide a great product that installs easily, stays put, but most importantly doesn't have an effect on how your bow shoots.
With our current limb gripping system (Totem) our quivers fasten even tighter.

LimbLover, I sent you a pm.

"Travel Light With Eagle's Flight."

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
I haven't received one from you yet 2fletch.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
i have the thunderhorn 4 arrow quiver, and i would not totally recommend it. it slips a bit on my take down and the fletches rub against each other. apart from that its fine
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©