3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many times have you swapped arrows?  (Read 319 times)

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
How many times have you swapped arrows?
« on: August 19, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
Since starting to shoot 3-4 months ago, I have been through 5 arrow changes. Two of the changes resulted from switching bows as I learned what I wanted to shoot, another was because I was drawing further than I thought and needed another inch, the last one was simply discovering that heavier arrow shot better due to the happy accident of buying the wrong shaft. I also changed from Carbon to aluminum due to the cost and simplicity factor.

I am currently shooting a 2117 31" aluminum, but it took a long time and a lot of buying and selling arrows to get here.

Is this pretty common for a beginner? How many times have you swapped arrows?
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many times have you swapped arrows?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
I actually shoot the same arrows from a few different bows. I just change tip weights. I have a Big River on order, its a little heavier than the others in DW but I'm hoping to be able to shoot he same Heritage 150 from it by doing the same, changing the tip weight! Makes life easier!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
I have gone through the following changes in less than a year.  Cedars, Beman ICS, Cedars again, Easton FMJ, Now I am currently shooting hickories and I don't think I'll change again.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
I changed when I went up in draw weight, then from woods to aluminums, to carbons, then back to woods then carbons again. I am lucky in that my two favorite bows can shoot the same arrow now although it sticks out about an extra inch on the longbow which is fine as long as it's not too short!   :D  I like it as I am able to bring a back-up bow on far away hunting trips that shoots the same arrow. Some like experimenting with all the different arrows and weights etc. Not me. I'd give my bow to a guy to tune it for me if that were wise or possible! As it is I tend to tune a bow with an experienced friend to get behind me and help notice any kick etc.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
My problem has been that I draw 30" and all of my bows have responded differently to that.

My Ragim Impala was a 50# and weighed out at 60#+ at 30".

My new bow (Samick 62" Phantom takedown) was marked at 45# but ended up being 48# at 28" and 55# at 30"

If I ever get another bow, I won't be buying arrows for it unless I get it weighed at 30".
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
your Impala was stacking at that 30".  Should naturally gain 2-3# per inch.  Yes, always have the bow measured at what you plan to draw......
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
I started with barrel tapered, compressed POC shafts, love the smell but find the carbons much easier to work with at draw weights over a range of 55-70 pounds. It took me a while to figure out what I was doing since I went through over 20 different makes of bow before settling on what I shoot now.  I shoot shrews, super shrews and classic hunters, and being cut the way they are, they are not too finicky about the arrows I make and shoot.   I worked up an arrow that would bare shaft perfectly and the minor deviations I have made with weight and fletching do not seem to matter much. A different make of bow may not be as forgiving.  I have been shooting the same carbon shafts from Cabela's (65-80 carbon hunters or extremes) for over 10 years.  I changed fletching from 4 to 3 to 4, changed broadheads from magnus to grizzly to STOS (145-160 gr) added weights up front, switched to a three under draw, added internal footing etc.  but still shooting the same shafts.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
I've swapped from aluminums to carbons to aluminums again.I tried 3 and four fletch.I finally setteled on 30" 2213's with 175grs up front,and 3 fletch 5.5" Nanners.

Eventually I'd love to have a massive vareity of aluminums and carbon sizes all cut to 30",with every point weight from 75gr to 350grs.I like tinkering with different combos.I find changing tip weight on a precut arrow is much easier when tuning then cutting down to get a certain weight to work.The wood arrows would be a dozen in every spine range from 25-30 to 95-100 all cut to 30 BOP,and all the glue ons from 100gr to 200gr.

:help:      :D
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
I shot wood exclusively for 20yrs. I tried aluminum a year ago and immediately switched! I found that the same 1916 arrow flies great out of all three of my bows. I'm shooting better than ever too!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©