3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tent options? Can't afford Kifaru...  (Read 822 times)

Offline huntelk

• Trad Bowhunter
Tent options? Can't afford Kifaru...
« on: August 19, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
I have come to the realization that I just can't afford or justify spending the money of the kifaru or Titanium Goat tents.., not yet anyway..

What are some other decent options? My 7 year old and I are going to go camping and do some hunting from a blind in CT...

I was looking at the Eureka Timberline or the Big Agnes tents?? It would be nice to use it for local camping/hunting trips but also for an October Moose hunt in New Hampshire (lucky lottery winner)

Thanks

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tent options? Can't afford Kifaru...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
Stephen,

I have used a Cabela's tent for about 5 or 6 years (I think it has been that long).

Here is a link to it:   Cabela\\'s Tent  

The construction is solid, and it's been roomy enough for two plus 2 big labs. I think the price is acceptable as well. I have the 10X10 model. I like it because with my 6'5" and 280lbs frame i can stand up to get dressed (me trying to lay in a "flat" tent trying to put my pants on is frustrating to me and odd for anyone watching from the outside).

We live in this tent for weeks at a time with little discomfort. It's no wall tent, but it isn't a pup tent by any means.

Holler at me if you need more info.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline huntelk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
OkKeith:

Thanks for that. I have been looking at that exact tent...It is in the running.

steve

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
I use one of these.  They are great in cold weather but not that packable.  Two guys can set it up in about 30 minutes

Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
huntelk

I'll give you my opinion as I have seen people spend a lot of money on expensive camping equipment that ends up sitting in a corner of their garage

My sons and I do a lot of camping and I can tell you that I have found that the choice of shelter will be dependent on what your goals are.  What works for car camping will be a nightmare on a 20mile hike-in camping trip.

If all you are doing is one or two night trips with your son at campsites you drive up to, AND you don't anticipate more than a few of these trips a year,  you will do just fine with an inexpensive Coleman 4 or 6 man tent.  I've used them extensively and never had a problem even in the worst driving rainstorms. (and it ALWAYS rains when I go camping)  Spend the money you save on the tent on some quality sleeping pads.

If however, you plan on doing a lot of camping (more than 6 times a year let's say)  then I'd go for one of the more expensive tents like the Cabelas cited above.  It will last longer, you'll be more satisfied and you'll spend less in the end.

I don't recommend this for everyone but I am now a big fan of camping hammocks for backpacking trips. Our Boy Scouts love them for 3 season camping here in the South.  They are light, comfortable to sleep in, set up quickly and the entry level models can be bought for ~$30.  Cover it with a $10 tarp from Walmart and you're set.  Downside on these is they are not a good option for the little kids and are too cold for winter camping IMHO.   You are also out of luck if all you have is a hammock in an area with no trees.
  "[dntthnk]"  

I'm interested to hear what others have to say on this subject.
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
I have a Eureka Timberline that I have had since 1982, yes 82. Mine is the 4 man and you can't go  wrong! I have used it motorcycle camping, hunting ,fishng; just a good tent! Eureka also makes the Apex line of tents ,I have a 2 man and 3 man, they might be even a bit better than the Timberline. Any name brand tent Big Agnes, Mountainsmith,Northface,plus many more will be a good choice. Just decide on how much room you need to have...make sure the tent has a vestabule.[keeps boots and such out of the way]
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
I have the same tent as OkKeith, the 10 x 10 .  Plenty of room for 3 people plus gear.  Not hard to set up at all and not too heavy.  I have used it in Colorado and Idaho with no problems at all.  I just spray it once a year with scotch guard just to make sure it keeps turning water, although I don't think it is necessary.  I like the extra head room for getting dressed also.  It's been good for me.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Hey John,

I completely agree with what you say about fitting the gear to the situation. I have recently discovered camping hammocks myself. For me they are fine for a few days, but after that they put more kinks in than a night's sleep should take out.

Lisa and I spent nearly a year trying to figure out what would work best for us and the Cabela’s tent fit all the criteria we established. We decided that these things were important to us, in this order:

1. Size. I am a big fella and as I mentioned above, I hate trying to get dressed lying down in the tent. We have lightweight tents for backpacking use so didn't need another of that type. We travel to hunt and fish a lot. Texas, Wyoming, Missouri, Kansas, North Carolina (not to mention camping at our deer lease) and spend weeks at a time at remote camps and needed a tent that we wouldn't go stir crazy in if the weather turned bad and we had to stay inside for 20 or 30 hours. So, tall and with a fairly large foot print.

2. Weight/packed up size. A wall tent would have been great, but we could put a cooler and 10 days worth of food in the same space a wall tent and pole set-up would use. The tent we were looking for needed to pack down well. We wanted something that wouldn't take up much more space than a daypack. On the off chance that one of us might hurt ourselves in the backcountry, we wanted a rig that one person could drag out and set-up fairly quick.

3. Durability/Warranty. We did fudge here just a bit. Not that the one we got is flimsy by any means. We didn't want to have to replace it every other year, but this goes to weight and price (the next consideration). We wanted quality materials and a product from a company which we knew would stand behind their equipment if we had any trouble, but we were not going to the top of Everest or trekking in the Gobi.

This brings us to ...4. Price. We didn't want to go cheap, because you get what you pay for, but then again I didn't want to have to sell my truck to get it either. The age old argument of quality versus price went on long after we had settled on the other factors.

I am sure this is WAY more than anyone cares to hear about how we selected our tent, but then again I'm not doing much today and had the time.

After we considered all these things, we bought the tent I mentioned above. Of course having a hundred bucks or so in credit points didn't hurt either. As I said, this is our sixth year (I think) with this tent, and it gets used an honest 100 days or so a year. Some of these trips will last 2 weeks (that’s 2 days in, 10 days in camp and 2 days out).

I have a buddy that swears he will never buy a tent. He carries 3 or 4 of the huge WalMart tarps and what seems like a thousand feet of rope. He is a master of rigging up shelters from this outfit, complete with floors and such. He can take up to 2 or 3 hours to get it just like he wants. He might have 80 bucks in tarp and rope, but I like to get set-up a little quicker than that and with a little less hassle. Convenience costs, but for this I can afford it.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
I have three tents.

I have hunted out of an Alaskan Guide, 8-man tent for roughly seven years. It needs a touch-up with the silicone, finally, and has been a dry and reliable shelter from everything that my hunting area (I call it Monster Mansion) can throw at it.

Expensive, and a hassle for one person to set up, but well worth it for my three-week stays in the woods.

The second tent, I bought for short overnights, like 3-D shoots and such. It is a Eureka Timberline, and it is a well-made tent too. I have not tested it like the Guide, but for rain-shedding, ease of set-up, and wind resistance, it is tops for an A-frame. Very sturdy, very comfortable. I have the four man tent, which is fine for just me. My husband likes to join me at the Baltimore shoot, though, and we are just too cramped in that tent. (Clark, me and the dog.   :rolleyes:   )

This year I bought another tent. It is a Eureka Sunrise, and I spent 230 dollars for it. I got a 30 dollar rebate on top of that. I agonized between that and the 6-man Timberline, liking the ruggedness and easy setup of the Timberline, and the full-coverage fly, but lamenting the nonavailability of a vestibule for the 6-man model.

The Sunrise is 11x11, and easy to set up. In real cold weather, it would do OK, but would not be as warm as the Guide or Timberline, due to all the ventilation it provides. My buddy Bart uses his in winter all the time, though.

It has tons of room, and a small heater, lanterns, etc. would help keep you warm. With all the venting on it, fresh air would not be a problem. I would recommend spritzing it with silicone on the corner seams right out of the box. We had gobs of rain at ATAR, and all I got were a few small damp places there... I spritzed them quick-quick, and they stayed dry after that. I am very picky about a dry tent.

I would not hesitate to hunt in the early season with this tent. Two feet of snow might change my attitude, but it seems capable of handling all but a nor'easter. And there is room for Clark now!

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
Steve if you are going camping and hunting and you want a hard core tent there are a bunch. 4season North Face ve 25 mountain $500 . They stand by their product. You want a fast good set up ck MSR Hubba Hubba. The 25 mountain is a 4 season tent and bomb proof. It depends on the money you want to spend. Good luck. I luv the Kifaru bit could not justify the money

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
I've heard nothing but good from folks that have purchased the Cabelas tents.....  No, it isn't an MSR or North Face or Kifaru, but seems to be a good mid-line.  I have a bunch of tents ranging from the $100 "wally-World" summer tent to some fairly extreme 4 season models.  Each has its advantages, and disadvantages.  There are always compromises, or we wouldn't be living in houses.  If you aren't doing the extremes, and extreme weather isn't more than a rarity, go mid line....use the money for more trips.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
My kids and I have spent many nights over many years in a $70 Coleman.  I see them on Craigslist all the time for half that.  We went camping in SC this summer and had 2 coleman tents, and a coleman stove, lantern, cooler, chairs.  I felt like I was sponsored by them.  

Don't get me wrong, I know they don't have the rep or admittedly the high quality of some of the high $ equip; but for me, that extra jack is best spent going on more trips and not on gear.  Of course most of my camping time is spent under a homemade tarp with a $40 kelty bag and a 50 cent Ridgerest pad.

A cancer survivor I know signs off all her emails with this:

"Life isn't about weathering the storm; it's about learning to dance in the rain."

That's how I like my camping to be.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
The eureka timberline is a great tent for the money.  I have had one for a long time and it still works great.  Easy to set up and handle the elements well.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
I don't think we're comparing apples to apples.
If you aren't backpacking your tent a few miles into the woods, then the examples shown above will give you a LOT of reliable shelter for less $ than Kifaru. (plus floorless shelters aren't for everyone).

But if you are backpacking, then you might be less than happy with a 16# Cabelas tent.    :)    

If you really want a floorless tipi type shelter you might look for a Mountain Hardwear Kiva Light, 4# including the pole.
I picked one up new for under $200. They have a floor you can add if you want.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
You are getting some good advice here in MHO.

I have owned numerous tents (I think I own each of the models that killdeer has - whats up with that?) and each has there place.

Now I am normally a person that buys top end first, as I have learned that is what I will work up to so it ends up costing more than if I just went that way in the first place.

But, tents are different as has been mentioned in that each has its function and place.  I would buy the tent you need today and know you will likely buy again.

If you and the kids are going for a weekend go cheap.  It will work well for weekend trips and  will also be used heavily by the kids in the backyard - a bonus.

When you are ready for the next adventure - say to the mountains backpacking - that will be a different tent and you will make that decision then.

Good luck.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
I have the Cabela's Outback Lodge in the 10x10' model and it's a great tent for the money.You need to make sure (as with any tent) that the seams are properly sealed and treated as needed. This tent goes up really fast, and as mentioned above all that headroom is really nice, especially if you're caught having to spend an extended period of time in it.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »
Add another one for the Outback Lodge.  Had mine up in all kinds of weather in Montana and it has never failed me.
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
I have been using the Cabela's Big Horn 2 for the last 5 years.

It's been problem free, I can set it up by myself in less than a 1/2 hr.  It hasn't leaked yet and I've had it out in some really bad winds.

I have the vestibule, which I use for storage and cooking, and it really makes it a home during the hunting seasons.  I also have used a wood stove in it with no problems, but now I use a vented propane stove, one of the best accessories I bought for it.

Offline huntelk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
Great information everyone, I sure appreciate the responses, thank you.

I'll digest it all and make a decision which is not ez for me...ah!!

I got turned on to the GoLite Shangri-La single pole tents today.. They may just what I need as well....if I can find one at a decent price.

Lots of options....

Thanks

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
I like Killdeer have the Eureka Timberline 4 when I'm camping/hunting solo and the Cabelea's Alaskan Guide 6 person for when my daughter is with me. Both great tents. The Cabeleas with the alum pole upgrade will run alsmost $500 and the Eureka can be had for under $200. The only option I want for the Eureka ia the vestibule to store my wet boots etc..... Can't go wrong with either.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©