3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinion on Limbsavers  (Read 663 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinion on Limbsavers
« on: August 19, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
What is your opinion on limbsavers? What are their advantages?
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinion on Limbsavers
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
I don't need them, my Mohawk is as quiet as a church mouse with zero hand shock!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
I wouldn't even think about hunting with a bow that is not equiped with limbsavers and super string leeches. I loose one foot per second with the limbsavers and string leeches installed. I loose five to seven feet per second with cat whiskers. More speed equals more kinetic energy, and momentum. I have not way of judging noise other than by ear, but to me the limbsaver system is quieter than any other silencer I have used: which is the main objective.

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
When i put limb savers on the limbs at the fade out.I can feel and hear the differance"for the better".For me,the string leeches are noisier than whoolie whispers,yarn balls or beaver fur string silencers.A arrow on the heavy side will help quiet the bow and absorb some hand shock.And longbows tend to be quieter than recurves to.
Harold Wetzler

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Noise I can gid rid of,I use the Limbsavers to reduce vibration in the limbs, hopeing to increase thier longevity. I think that thats important if you use todays modern string materials. not so much if you shoot b-50. As far as the Leechs go, I have a buddy the just has 2 on his ACS and it the most silent bow I have erver heard.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
If I had my way it would be B-50 for all my bows... Can't tell ya much about Limbsavers but if you are using a slip-on bow quiver like a Selway or strap-on like a Thunderhorn then maybe, just maybe (they) aren't needed.

My 2 cents worth...

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
Save your money, for some tuned, heavy weight arrows! Just a gimick! Pearson used mercury capsuls for the same reason. If your shooting the proper arrow weight and tuned, your good to go! No black magic or medicine Dr. needed! Good shootin, Steve.

Offline 8888blk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
String Leaches were by far the noisiest string silencer i tried on my MAIII,  :banghead:   and I did'nt notice any difference in noise or shock with Limbsavers. 55# @ 30" 610gr. arrow. All my bows have beaver balls...wait that did'nt sound right.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
I never have tried the string leaches so I don't have an opinion on them.  I can't see how anyone could say that limbsavers do not work.  I have always noticed a huge difference on bows when they were installed.  You may not like the looks of them or may not like the idea of having a new gadget on your bow, But they do work and that is a fact.
I don't think that you really need them but I know they work.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
ttt
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
Every set of limbs, every bow of mine has limbsavers right at the fadeouts.. There's absolutely NO question, IMO, that they reduce any limb vibration. They are a solid addition to any set-up..

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
I just can't get past the looks of 'em.
Otherwise i'd try them.
Steve.

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
I feel a quiver like the Boa or selway does the same thing and holds your arrows to boot.   BILL

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
I just don't like the looks of em. I also hate sticking stuff on my bow. I had an aro holder that I took off because it just looked trashy. I also had calf hair groove silencers that didn't do anything and just made it hard to string. Took those off. Now I just shoot brush buttons and beaver balls. Very quiet.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
They are just another option in tuning.  They work, but so does spending countless hours fine tuning your equipment.  Some have that time, others don't.  I wouldn't be offended by anyone deciding to use them.  Half of my bows have them.  They made a difference in the bow.  Might it have been solved another way?  Maybe....  We each have our own reasons to do what we do....

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
I use them on the bows I keep. They are cheap insurance to protect the limb if/when a string breaks.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
Maybe if they could make them look more natural. Maybe like an antler burr.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mo. Huntin:
But they do work and that is a fact.
Dang, funny how "facts" are not so quite factual for everyone, I guess my mileage just varies. I got a set and moved them around between a couple of bows to play with them. I found they actually increased handshock on two longbows, and I couldn't tell any difference on two recurves. Maybe a bit softer harmonic but not really "less noise". For me, not worth the $, gadgety, and look as appealing as the bolts coming out of Frankenstein's neck...not for my bows. Glad they are solving other folks problems though, I sure do see them on a lot of stickbows lately.

By the way, the maker of those bows I tried the limbsavers on often uses them on his bows. I just think he's given in to the hype though, poor fella.   :saywhat:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
Do they "work?" When I had them on my wheelie bow I guess they did....but I never shot it without them.

On my trad bow???? NEVER would even consider putting them on. The looks just don't seem consistent with my set-up and darn it they just aren't "traditional enough" for me!!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Focusource

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
I recently added a set to a recurve.  I had to lower the brace height slightly for it to settle in.  I am able to use half the amount of wool for string silencers.  My accuracy improved from the first shot with them on.  Note that I use arrows that are 9 gpp.  A heavier arrow would probably have the same effect, but I prefer the relative flatness of a lighter arrow.
TradTech Pinnacle II riser, 50# BlackMax limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©