3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: looking for advice  (Read 369 times)

Offline jhp0529

• Trad Bowhunter
looking for advice
« on: August 20, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
I am looking for advice on what I need to take with my while hunting whitetail deer. This will be my first full season hunting, so I don't have the things I think I need yet. Right now, I have a bow (Bear Black Bear 45# @28 that I am borrowing from my uncle), arrows (Beman ICS 500), a shooting tab, and J. Adams is very graciously sending me a Selway quiver. That is all I have right now. I am wondering what you guys normally take with you on a hunt. I am also looking for advice on what kind of broadheads I should use. What kind of grunt call? I am thinking about gettinig a rattle bag. What do you guys think about that? Also, what kind of scents should I try to use, if any? I don't have a huge budget to just go buy everything that looks like it would be nice to have. So I am looking for advice on what are the essentials so that I can focus there first. Any information and advice would be helpful. Thanks
Jared.

Offline pktm

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
Take your bow, broadhead tipped arrows, quiver, tab, leave everything else at home. Keep it simple.
I would add to your kit, snakebite kit, small first aid kit, waterproof matches, something to eat, flashlight, rope, very sharp knife, pen to fill out your tag.

Grunt calls, scents, rattle bags are all toys you can play with when you think you know the deer your after. Nothing beats staying still and keeping the wind in your face.

Good luck and stay patient.
Fundamentally the marksman aims at himself

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
ToelkeMan has good advise, except you might add a comfortable stool or seat to set up in a brush blind.
  What part of Oklahoma are you in?  PM me if you want and maybe I can help you some more.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
bow,with a backup string,make sure your broadheads are sharp.a good sharp medium sized hunting knife is a plus.small first aid kit.plastic water carrier,ie,miltary type canteen filled with gatoraid or water,or?.small pen light,match's or lighter,a small hands free grunt is ok,not for calling up a deer,but good to stop one for a moment,binocular"s,10x25,wall mart special,are handy,engery bars,or trail mix.lightweight gloves.and a small fanny pack to carry the incidintals in.as for broadheads,i use the older bear,or snuffer 2 blade heads myself.snuffer makes a good 3 blade head also.your call,but remember,the arrow and broadhead are the most important part of the setup.keep it simple,have fun,hunt the wind,enjoy the hunt,harvesting game is just an added plus.regards,robert   :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :archer:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline JimE.IV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
When I'm hunting near home during the early season I carry next to nothing.  

I say during the early season because early on in the year I never spend an entire day in the woods.  I typically get into a pre-hung stand 1 hour before sunrise and sit until about 10:00 am.  Then leave the woods, go home and come back around/about 2:30PM and sit until dark.  

As October nears its end I'll start spending full days in the woods. Then I'll start to carry a Bison Gear fanny pack with water, food, chewing tobacco, sometimes a book.

A camera, a pen and a knife are my only real essentials.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
Two flashlights and a compass. Thermacell if you have skeeter bugs and no seeums.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Jared
I notice you live in Oklahoma. If you are close to Tulsa, call me (918)636-5231 and I will help you out.  I've probably got some broadheads you can have and a few nick-nacks to get you going.

Brian

Offline Maxflight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
ToelkeMan said it best. Your bow, arrows, quiver and tab along with a knife are all you "need". Everything else is a convenience. Granted, the first aid kit, flashlight, rope, etc. are so close to being essential that I never leave home without them.

I have hauled most of those other gadgets out into the woods at one time or another, used some with success but ended up giving most of them away (let them take the toys for a walk) because the older (read experienced) I get I have derive more enjoyment keeping it simple.

Hell, that's why I shoot a longbow anyway.
The measure of a man is by his actions, not his words.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©