3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Owl Bows by Ed Scott  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Owl Bows by Ed Scott
« on: August 20, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
Most of the time I shoot my Shrew bows with their modernistic style and materials. Even so I've always felt the pull towards primitive archery. In the past I have made and hunted with all wood bows that I made myself and also bows made by other self bow makers. On of the things that has made going back and forth from self bows to laminated glass bows difficult is the difference in how the riser is cut. Most glass bows are cut close to center while most non glass bows are not. Because of that difference it always takes awhile to adjust going from one to the other.

Ed Scott has solved that problem by making more shelf on his bows and he also lines the string over closer to the shelf which in some cases makes it almost a center shot bow. When I first shot one of Ed's bows at the Compton Rendezvous two years ago I was pleasantly surprised to be able to shoot a good line from a primitive bow.

For the last two years I've had a couple of Ed's Owl bows, A 58" sinew and rawhide backed hickory, and a 58" sinew and snakeskin backed Juniper. Now they have been joined by a sinew backed Gems Buck Horn bow, 54" 58# @ 28"

If you're like me and feel that "pull", then give Ed a call.

Not only are Ed's bows great shooters but they are decorative works of art. Left to right, Horn Bow, Juniper, and Hickory

Each of Ed's bows has it's own unique look

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Owl Bows by Ed Scott
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
This bow came in the mail yesterday, Gems Buck Horn,sinew backed. 54" 58#@ 28".

Here's the bow unstrung with the back of the bow facing my friend holding it...a lotta "wow'y" in those limbs     :eek:  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Does he have a website?
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
Nice bow Ron.........
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
Them are some sweet bows Ron. I was very impressed when I shot his bows. They are awesome. Good Job Ed, I hope to see ya soon.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
The Horn bow is a real shooter, here's a 4 shot group from 22 yd's

Note the broken nock..   :knothead:

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
Very nice looking bows  one and all. The hickory bow's "riser" area is very nice and truly a work of art. Thanks for sharing!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Does he have a website?

Ed doesn't have a web site but his phone number is 505 287-8134

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
Whose the ugly guy with the bow? He looks familiar.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
Wow Ron.  I have seen and shot Ed's bows but that horn bow is amazing!!  Very nice bow!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
Great craftsmanship and very shootable   :thumbsup:

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
I love the Owl bow design myself . When I buy a self bow it will be one of his . To any one interested Pine Hollow longbows is selling a few for Ed . They are a sponser here and they are on the sponser list .

mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Mr. Scott makes a great bow, doesn't he?  I have a 60 inch sinew backed White Oak bow he made for me.  52# at 28".  It is fantastic.  It's about all I shoot anymore, aside from what I'm trying to make myself.  Needless to say, I'm not quite there yet.  One of these days I'd like to get out there for a week for his one-on-one instruction class.
Silence is golden.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
Ed makes a fine bow that's for sure. Ron that looks like a piece of American cheese on your target, I must be hungry.   :rolleyes:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
Hey Ron, who shot that group? Brian?
Just teasing, looks like you are all lined out for OCT.
Charlie.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
No, I shot the group but Brian was a witness to it.   :saywhat:

I gotta admit that it was my best group of the evening...the first arrow happened to find the middle and the others just followed the leader....      :bigsmyl:

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
Owls are a great shooting bow.  Here are a few pic's of mine.

Offline Islandlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
Ron what's your draw length? Can I with a 29" draw be comfortable shooting a 58" bow?

Thanks
Jerry

Owl Bows   :thumbsup:
Procrastination is the thief of time.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
I'm going to order one soon. I'd like something similar to the one in Ron's pic, on the right with the green and orange/red/bear paw. Anyone know what "style" that is? I talked to Ed and he thought it was a Cherokee that he made for Ron.

Anyone have other pics? Comments on bow styles? I shoot 3 under and draw about 29". I was thinking a 64" "hunting bow" Ed makes may be a good choice.

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
Ron,
  Nice looking bows and some great shooting! Are you hunting with any or all of them this year? If so what type of arrows and heads are you using? Trad, Stone, Glass??
 Would love to see some pics of your success this season or of past seasons hunting with selfbows!  :bigsmyl:  

By the way the "ShrewHawk" works great on butchering game and work around camp!  :thumbsup:  

Hope your hunting season is going well!

Watch your top knot!  :thumbsup:  

Raven
 >>>>-------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©