3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone using "trocar" tip heads?  (Read 614 times)

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone using "trocar" tip heads?
« on: August 20, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
Just curious if anyone is using the trocar tip Muzzy's (or a similar head) and how they've worked for you.

I have some of the 145gr. 4 blades lying around and may give them a go this season.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone using "trocar" tip heads?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
I tried some glue-on Muzzys several years ago, with the practice blades. I destroyed several of them by shooting the practice blades into hay bales. The aluminum ferrule didn't hold up. I never hunted with the survivors because I didn't trust them after that.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
The 100's have always been my go to for compounds.  I have always gotten great pass through performance and very good bone busting action on deer.  I have been playing with them and 100 gr. brass inserts.  They fly great as always.  I am considering them for one of my bows this year.  I also have some 125's in three blade, and for some reason I don't get the best flight out of them.  I really like the Phantoms I have been trying so I will still hunt a muzzy if I go cut on contact.  I only shoot 50-55# so I think the trocar tip heads will be fine for deer, but if I shot something bigger I would go with cut on contact to be safe.  I am interested to hear what others have found using them with trad bows.  I have a Muzzy video of them being use on big game someplace.  The looked to be doing the job.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
My first deer was taken with a Muzzy 100 grain 4 blade with trocar tip. Did a great job. I am planning on shooting 125 grain 4 blade Muzzys this  year on deer.

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
I just recieved a new Matlock in the mail a couple of weeks ago (LOVE the bow BTW), and my setup for it this year is 600 grain carbon express with 125 muzzy 4 blades.  Should be traveling in the 195 fps range (I have a 30 inch draw, bow is drawing 65# at my draw).  I plan on using it for elk and deer.  Have had great success on big roosies in the past with muzzy outta my compound before I went to trad.....

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »

The bottom is a 125 gr Thunderhead. I now use the top one, the old 165 gr 3 bladed Thunderheads. I sharpen the tips as sharp as I can get them and go, knowing the factory blades are super ultra sharp and the head will never fail me.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
I`ve killed several deer and hogs with 125 grain three blade Muzzys out of recurves. Fine Heads.RC

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
I took a bull elk with the 160 Thunderhead, before getting back into wood arrows and glue-ons.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
Killed almost all of my deer with the compound with the Muzzy 100 or 125gr 3-blade. Great broadheads! I have switched to a Snuffer/Stinger/Phantom since moving to recurves, but I'll bet they would work just fine unless you are shooting less than 50lb or have a real short draw.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
When I was shooting alooniyum arras I only used 145gr Muzzy Matadors and never had any problems with them.  I had a home made slide hammer I used to remove a few of them that were embedded in bone and the tips were fine.

Dennis

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
You can sharpen the flats on a muzzy tip where it will cut you.Never used one with a longbow but would not think twice about useing them for deer. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
My son Jeff had the trocar tip on his Muzzy gator getter arrow flatten our rather nicely on a 11' alligator back scute!

Offline Slufoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
I have shot two whitetails with a 100 grain Muzzy 3-blade from a 55# Martin Hatfield. Both times I got complete passthroughs and the arrows burried into the ground.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 06:43:00 AM »
Well that must have been one tough gator.  :)  There are a lot of rocks where I bowfish and I have beat up many of them but never flattened a muzzy point on any.There certainly is nothing on a deer that will hurt one.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
All my friends uses are the Muzzys and he has taken a bunch of deer and hogs. i myself love the 4 blade 220gr phantom.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
on the trocar ..... I had neck shot a doe a few years back, and told the butcher to watch for the Muzzy I believe it was imbedded in the bone.

he forgot and it cost him $125 blade for his processing saw !

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
Sounds like I had a bad batch. It's been 20 years since I tried them. Guess I need to stay more current...

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
Don, could have been that yours were weaker due to being glue on style.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
I shoot our 125gr 4bl head most of the time and switch between the 125gr Phantoms as well, just hate to have to sharpen up a blade in the field and it is so easy to just change out the blades.  I do sharpen up the trocar tip on a diamond stone and can get them very sharp as well.  I have not had any trouble shooting deer, hogs and bear with them, have even taken an elk as well.  I do shoot heavy, FOC carbons and have no problems with penetration with my mid 50's# recurves.  
I have been shooting Muzzy heads for almost 20 years now and have never seen bone damage a trocar tip, rocks maybe, but not bone.  We shoot them thru steel barrels with lot's of KE and they come thru without even looking like they had been shot.  Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
I'd LOVE to see a company like Muzzy or NAP make a single bevel - wouldn't that be awesome? Like .40 blades or even thicker too .........

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©