3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Tab Experiment is Over!  (Read 601 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
The Tab Experiment is Over!
« on: August 20, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
Over the summer I've tried several tabs, none of which I can really remember the names of. I've shot with plain leather or deerskin tabs, some with some really smooth polished leather, and some with artificial surfaces. Try and try as I might, I could never get consistent with them. I had days I shot real well with them, and days I couldn't hit my hind end with my own back quiver.

I feel I gave the tab a fair shake, but the other night I finally tossed it aside for good, and went back to my good old Damascus glove. I like the thinner fingers,thick enough to protect my fingers, but still a good feel of the string.
My anchor feels right. My arrows are now going back to where they belong.

I can't say for sure why I even tried the tab, other than to say i did it, but inconsistency has no place in the hunting woods.

Funny thing is, my youngest son also tried a tab, and he tossed his glove aside, and is shooting great with the calfskin tab he got at the GLLI. Good for him.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Tab Experiment is Over!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
I ended up the same way as you.  I went through about 8 different tabs one year.  I never could get consistent enough with one. For some reason, I would develop a "claw" draw when using the tabs.  I really wanted to use one so I could wear a light glove when hunting.

Offline MikeBurns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
Quitter!! I'm just the opposite, started with a glove switched to a tab and never looked back. Use whatever works.
Sgt USMC '80-'87

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
I never liked them either.I've tried and tried with them but they're just too darn akward.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
Never could figure out consistent shooting with one. I'll stick to my glove!
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline David Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
I'm with Mike. I tried a glove a few times; it feels awkward and I can't feel my face.

Offline FOXXNTROUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
I love tabs...want my mailing address?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
I go back and forth,,can't seem to find a good or bad thing about either,except a glove won't fall off.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
I can't shoot them either and have tried. I am sticking with my glove, a Blackwidow PDQ.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Well I switched this year to a tab.  What I found is I had to change my anchor because without the glove's extra material I couldn't get to my mouth without hitting my lip or something with the string.  After that I found I needed to get them short so they only got to my first joint with an open hand or end of my tips with a deep hook.  That took out a lot of the left shooting I was getting at first.  I shoot split finger.  Now I am playing with 3 under, and I think I may try a glove with that because my tab anchor puts the nock at my eye with 3 under.  I don’t care for that.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
I have used a super achery mitt(tab) and they are awesome. Course been using the same one for 22 years now! Got a new one not long ago and started to break it in with pitch blend and usage BUT I just cant retire the old tab as he is battle hardened!!

Work for some not for others?

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
Different strokes...

I found a glove was in my way all the time doing the 1001 other things you do besides drawing a bow while in the woods.  I've been using a simple one hole target tab for 15 years or so.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Three Arrows:
I ended up the same way as you.  I went through about 8 different tabs one year.  I never could get consistent enough with one. For some reason, I would develop a "claw" draw when using the tabs.  I really wanted to use one so I could wear a light glove when hunting.
Ditto for me....it's just all about finding what is comfortable for you.  Went through the same experience with quivers (a much more expensive experimentation period   :rolleyes:  ).
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
I think most tabs have too much junk on them, making them difficult for some to shoot comfortably. A simple one-hole, single layer codovan leather tab, no finger spacer, works fine for me, and is way better than a glove for me, as I get a much better feel for my anchor, and can get the string in close to the corner of my mouth; I was never able to do that with a glove.
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
I use a light cordavon leather tab with my Damascus glove.  Yea...I know its wierd but between the two I can feel the string and with the tab I get a smoother release.  Find what works for you and stick with it.  Sometimes you already have the best thing going for you and just don't know it...till you try something else. I think that is what makes all of this fun.
"A man is best judged by what he does when nobody else is watching."

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
The last few PA archery seasons have gotten pretty cold by the end. With a shooting glove I really couldn't wear a glove on my right hand because I didn't like the release I had on the string with a hunting glove over my shooting glove. I am not a fan of keeping my hands in my pockets when hunting, don't ask me why. This year I tried a Cavalier tab and wish I would have switched years ago. My release is smoother (my "plucking" problem on release is gone), I am no longer spinning the arrow when drawing, it has just really improved my shooting. Might just be mental, but it worked. Plus with the elastic cord I can use my hunting gloves, both light and heavy, and it doesn't change my shooting. I tried already to be sure.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
I think of all the tabs I tried, the ones  Icut out of a piece of tanned deer hide worked the best. But I shot today with a deerskin work glove on while I was working on ground blinds, and shot really good.

Maybe next year I'll tinker with.... carbon shafts. LOL
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
tried tabs also but went back to a glove. old habits die hard lol
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
Shoot with what you are happy with as long as you shoot well.   I shoot better with a tab, but I started with one in 1965.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
I shoot with a cordovan tab and trimmed it down a bit. Once trimmed to fit my fingers better my groups improved another 10%
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©